Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:31 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One negative with some of the Cal State schools is they have large commuter populations which kind of dilutes the full college experience.
While I know what you mean, and my own daughter chose a campus so she could have that "full college experience", I really don't think we should be placeing real importance on that anymore. In fact, I think's it's helped to ruin the point of college. Maybe a new kind of experience is what we reallly need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,794,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diku View Post
@Mattclyde

Who do you consider to be the better UCs? Just UCSD, UCLA and Cal?
Overall Cal and UCLA would be the better ones. It depends on what major you have but it those two overall have the better programs. This is for undergrad btw. For grad school they are all equally as challenging

Old 05-01-2011, 06:00 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
The best UC is the on you get accepted to.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,286,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
While I know what you mean, and my own daughter chose a campus so she could have that "full college experience", I really don't think we should be placeing real importance on that anymore. In fact, I think's it's helped to ruin the point of college. Maybe a new kind of experience is what we reallly need.
I don't understand that statement. What aspect of the full college experience has ruined college? I'm a huge believer in participation in activities outside the classroom including assocations, sports, lectures, concerts, and just doing fun stuff with other students. Establishing a good social network and creating fond memories during your college years can be just as important as what you learned. I know that through my own experience as well my siblings' and kids'.

It's also a lot more fun later on as an alum if you went to a school with decent football and basketball programs; but then I'm a huge, and often disappointed, Cal football fan.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The best UC is the on you get accepted to.
Yeah but you don't have to stay at the one that first accepted you. A reasonable strategy is to get into the system and then transfer later to the campus you really want to go to.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,174 times
@mattclyde

Quote:
Too bad SLO isn't as good of a school academically overall compared to better UC's. That being said they are still one of the best in the CSU system and is still hard to get into.
Overall Cal and UCLA would be the better ones.
I am looking into applying for engineering school for next year. I am strongly considering Cal Poly SLO and other comparable engineering schools.

I am not surprised to hear that Cal and UCLA are consider superior to CPSLO engineering. But how does Cal Poly compare to the other UCs??

Thanks ahead for the info!

Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
@mattclyde

I am looking into applying for engineering school for next year. I am strongly considering Cal Poly SLO and other comparable engineering schools.

I am not surprised to hear that Cal and UCLA are consider superior to CPSLO engineering. But how does Cal Poly compare to the other UCs??

Thanks ahead for the info!
I don't believe they're that strong at the other UC campuses. I can't think of one that's nationally recognized like Virginia Tech, Michigan State or Colorado School of Mines.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,700,067 times
Quote:
I will bet you a dollar the better choice for engineering is Cal Poly. Check their website, see what they do. You will be doing real world work long before you graduate.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 9,174 times
hey thanks for the input!

I did more digging around on sites like College Confidential. It seems there is a strong consensus that Cal Poly engineering is at least comparable or may even be better than most of the mid-tier UCs.

I like their "learn by doing" approach to their engineering education. And it sounds like Cal Poly as a whole have uber-strong track record in job placement for their graduates and something like the highest starting and third highest mid-career salary in all public universities in the US. So that's pretty encouraging. On a whole I was impressed by the strong reputation by CP. Surprising coming from a CSU! But that is also my concern, is graduating from a CSU vs a UC going to hurt my future? I mean, I would choose Cal, if I get in of course. But wouldn't UCSD be still better because it is a UC??

I am also looking at Cal, University of Mich. Ann-Arbor, and may be Cornell as my dream school choices. And UCLA, UCSD and Cal Poly as my "match" school choices. Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:23 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,551,322 times
Quote:
hey thanks for the input!

I did more digging around on sites like College Confidential. It seems there is a strong consensus that Cal Poly engineering is at least comparable or may even be better than most of the mid-tier UCs.

I like their "learn by doing" approach to their engineering education. And it sounds like Cal Poly as a whole have uber-strong track record in job placement for their graduates and something like the highest starting and third highest mid-career salary in all public universities in the US. So that's pretty encouraging. On a whole I was impressed by the strong reputation by CP. Surprising coming from a CSU! But that is also my concern, is graduating from a CSU vs a UC going to hurt my future? I mean, I would choose Cal, if I get in of course. But wouldn't UCSD be still better because it is a UC??

I am also looking at Cal, University of Mich. Ann-Arbor, and may be Cornell as my dream school choices. And UCLA, UCSD and Cal Poly as my "match" school choices. Any other input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.
It looks like you found the facts on Cal Poly SLO and I think those speak for themselves on whether or not going there will hurt you. So what's more important -- going to a public school that has the highest starting & third highest mid-career salary...or prestige? There isn't a right answer, but that is something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Also, where do you want to live after graduation? If you want to stay in CA, and you care most about prestige (and to a lesser extent, job prospects--because they're not completely separate) don't bother with Ann Arbor. Few outside academic circles will know that University of Michigan is higher ranked than any other state. And definitely don't bother with Cornell...nobody in CA (besides, again, the academic circles) will know what Cornell is, let alone that it's an Ivy League school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California