Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,965 times

Advertisements

In terms of what is being thrown around here, I'd probably look at Exeter over Woodlake. To me Exeter has more of that old small town feel. Both are located in citrus areas at the base of the foothills but have a different feel.

I like Clovis, it has a lot of pluses. But in terms of feel it seems to me to be shifting to more of a suburban family feeling rather than small town. The city of Clovis even started downplaying some of the western lifestyle branding it used to promote. Think something more like an eastern Sacramento suburb like Roseville, etc. Lots of ranching/farming still to the east of it though and there are a couple of ag preserves of small rural parcels surrounded by housing in north Clovis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
Plymouth (Amador County) or it's surrounding areas. Big bluegrass festival every year and meets all of the other criteria you set down.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:41 PM

307 posts, read 981,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltrazGSD View Post
I live just outside of Reedley, which is a small agriculture town near Fresno. I was born and raised here. Unfortunately, what was once a lovely little town is starting to have a lot of crime due to gangs. The gang activity is mainly restricted to the east side, but it is creeping over. I worked for the police department for almost 3 years, and it really opened my eyes.

From what you described, I think Clovis would be a great town for you. It's moderate size, VERY good schools, safe and clean and a very desirable area to live in. It's a conservative town, very agriculture and ranch related (with a huge rodeo every year, Big Hat days, parades, festivals, etc), and just an all around good place. It's less than an hour to the mountains, which are beautiful. Shaver Lake is lovely, as are the higher lakes. There great large lots/small acreage places all around the outskirts of town. Clovis "runs into Fresno, but they are distinctly different in atmosphere, crime, schools, and overall quality of life. Definitely look into it!

I would not recommend Porterville. That place has a huge drug problem and is just not a good place to live. Visalia is really nice, but it's in a poorer county (Tulare county). But it is safe, pretty, good schools, etc. Woodlake is fairly small, and I don't know a lot about it. It's very out of the way. Another nice small town is Kingsburg. It's pretty tiny, but has VERY low crime and good schools. Stay away from Selma no matter what though. It's a neighboring town and NOT GOOD. In fact, a quick list in this area to stay away from is Orange Cove, Parlier, Selma, Dinuba, and Sanger. Run as far and as fast as you can from those gang infested, icky places to live. But having lived here in the central valley my entire life, I can tell you that Clovis is BY FAR the most desirable area to live in. Good luck with your decision. Sorry that was kind of disjointed but I kept thinking of info and didn't want to go back and revise.
Thanks for the advice on those areas. The information is great! Yeah, Clovis sounds real nice from what I've heard. I have that on my list of places to consider. Thanks for confirming that it is a nice area as per what I described. Sad to hear about Porterville, my Dad had said years ago it was a real nice little town on the way up to the State Parks. That was on my list of places to consider, but I keep hearing that the areas close to Bakersfield are not very good. Like I said, I am anly familiar with the areas around Sacto in all directions, but never been further south than Merced in the Central Valley.

I am looking into Woodlake as well, and Visalia sounds nice, I know they are near each other...so will continue to look into those. Thanks for the list of places that are unappealing. I will look into the other places you mentioned thanks so much.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 PM

DMenscha: Yeah I kinda remember Plymouth, was there once or twice...I will look into that as well. Very familiar with Calaveras County. One of my favorite places!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
I would think Tehachapi is ideal.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Thanks for all the advice so far. I am very familiar with most of the places mentioned since I grew up around there and seems to resound what I already thought, that those places are the best for what we are looking for in California. We were thinking around the Fresno to Bakersfiled area in a rural community like Woodlake, Clovis, Visalia, or Porterville but have heard about terrible smog and crime issues etc.? So not sure. Might stick with norcal in the Gold Country area or maybe the northern valley like Oroville, Chico on towards Redding. Thanks so far for your help.
I don't think Chico would be what you want if you are looking conservative, family value community. I don't mean they do not beleive in family values, of course they do, but maybe not the conservative atmosphere you are looking for. I was going to suggest Placerville or Grass Valley, but looking at list I would think Oroville would be a good starting point.

Nita

Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,803 times
Clovis is not a small town. Its pushing 100,000 and is slammed right up against Fresno (500,000). Definitely urban. Not saying it isn't nice, but its not a quiet little town.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,754 times
We love the Anderson/Palo Cedro area...southeast/east of Redding. Lots of ranches and wide open spaces. Redding is the largest city around, but not large enough to have any smog or traffic (although many locals think a few intersections in town are as busy as LA...I moved here from Seattle and know what traffic REALLY is). Check this area out!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicarol View Post
We love the Anderson/Palo Cedro area...southeast/east of Redding. Lots of ranches and wide open spaces. Redding is the largest city around, but not large enough to have any smog or traffic (although many locals think a few intersections in town are as busy as LA...I moved here from Seattle and know what traffic REALLY is). Check this area out!
I will certainly investigate that area, had been interested in the Redding area but had heard Redding itself was crime-ridden...noy sure though...I know people say alot of things about alot of places and you have to take it with a grain of salt. Thanks for the advice though!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I would think Tehachapi is ideal.
This is the second time someone has mentioned Tehachapi...but never have been there...can you or someone describe the pros and cons about the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California