Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 07:00 PM

307 posts, read 982,744 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I am inquiring your opinions on which city, metro, or general area is be best for quantity and quality of live blues, country and varaitions of rock? I am a musician and have been planning a return to CA to live, which is where I have lived most of my life, and want to live where there is a vibrant and fervant LIVE MUSIC CULTURE.

I have strongly considered Austin, TX but really desire to live in my home state. I lived in the Sacramento area but don't desire to relocate to that area. I want to be involved with music on a professional/active level within the genres I mentioned above. Please provide as much info and advice as possible, and feel free to ask questions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,655,562 times
This is one of those cases you need to plan on a day job.
Musicians are a dime a dozen. My wife was recently paid near $50 a set for a play. She was just getting her feet wet in her old county.

You have to pay your dues dude.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
This is one of those cases you need to plan on a day job.
Musicians are a dime a dozen. My wife was recently paid near $50 a set for a play. She was just getting her feet wet in her old county.

You have to pay your dues dude.
You don't need to worry about that. I did not ask for info regarding that. What you said does nothing to answer my question. I am well aware of paying dues. I am not a novice musician. It is an eternal constant in the musical world that all must accept.

Please folks, if you have answers to the question I asked, I welcome your correlating response. Thank you.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,923,188 times
Yep, there are places in all big cities but there are even more musicians so they get paid nothing. Don't quit your day job.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 PM

When I lived there not more than 4 years ago, every musician I knew got paid weekly for gigs and were very successful. I myself had too many paying offers and had to constantly refuse them. Unfortunately At the time I was not enthusiastic about playing weekly for money. Wish I had been. Hindsight? This however, was in the Sacramento area and I didn't want to return to that area, but wanted some place new. I simply wanted quality advice on a good area for Blues, Country and Rock aside from Sacto.

Please, if anyone can actually answer my question, I would be obliged. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,934,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
When I lived there not more than 4 years ago, every musician I knew got paid weekly for gigs and were very successful. I myself had too many paying offers and had to constantly refuse them. Unfortunately At the time I was not enthusiastic about playing weekly for money. Wish I had been. Hindsight? This however, was in the Sacramento area and I didn't want to return to that area, but wanted some place new. I simply wanted quality advice on a good area for Blues, Country and Rock aside from Sacto.

Please, if anyone can actually answer my question, I would be obliged. Thanks.
sorry i don't really know as i've been gone even longer than you.

SFBF: Blues Clubs

San Francisco Local Bands - SF Station

somebody in here posted that there was a lot of heavy metal in the east bay. ew yuck!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,748,224 times
Hey Countryway,

Good to see you back on here. Last time we talked you were considering Bakersfield to Frenso areas. If you are expanding your net or at least considering it within CA then of course that opens up other options.

The only thriving live music scene I am well aware of is the Santa Monica, Hollywood area. Of course this area is heavily covered and visited by many musicians from around the world as well good local talent. But there are so many venues in LA that its mind boggling, not to mention all the ppl and private parties, record lables, recording studios, etc...

I think San Diego has a pretty good music scene as well. Folk is pretty big there and some signifcant stars have emerged from the local coffee houses such as Jewel. You could also live more in the country easier in SD than in LA. Though parts of the Inland Empire would be ok minus the smog.

I'm not sure about SF or SJ. Maybe other who frequent these other areas could chime in.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California