Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Charles knows why I posted this particular company ...
Okay, but nobody else does so why not send him a private message?

Quote:
As far as Northrop ... this company was started by Jack Northrop in California and grew to one of the largest aerospace companies in the world and one of the most important to our nation. Northrop leaving the land/state where it was created iswhere very bad for California.
Its bad why? Because you say its bad? You can't look at what happens with a single company and make a statement about the entire state economy....

I'm sure its bad for some of its employees, bad for the local community its in, etc. But the entire state economy? Won't even register.

Hasn't Aerospace been leaving Southern California for decades now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Okay, but nobody else does so why not send him a private message?

Its bad why? Because you say its bad? You can't look at what happens with a single company and make a statement about the entire state economy....

I'm sure its bad for some of its employees, bad for the local community its in, etc. But the entire state economy? Won't even register.

Hasn't Aerospace been leaving Southern California for decades now?
Sometimes I wonder about you ... you can't be that uniformed that you don't see the big tax revenue Northrop provided to California and tax revenue from employees who are being moved or eliminated ... these are the high paying jobs by the way ...

Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Using a little brain cells ...

A Quick note ..
Population :
California 37,253,956
Texas 25,145,561
New York 19,378,102
Florida 18,801,310

---
That's the reason California is 2nd highest is job growth and yet still has the 2nd highest unemployment in the U.S .. California is the most populated state in the U.S .. It beats Texas' population by 12 million people ... Hardly a number to disregard .. So, w/ 2nd highest job growth #'s... That isn't saying much given that it is the most populated state in the U.S .. It is especially sad when you compare it to a state w/ 12 million less people that has thee #1 job growth ..

California is hardly treading water and Don's post go to show how established companies are (LEAVING) .. not laying off/downsizing.. (Leaving) .. a friend of mine who worked at Boeing saw his whole group transferred to Virginia some year ago from L.A .. He said him and co-workers were ecstatic about the move.. Less traffic.. less smog.. Less crowded .. Better value .. Better homes.. Better schools/etc ...

Northrop relocated to Virginia and so on and so forth .. Northrop is much more than a Aerospace company .. they are a large system integrator .. defense contractor and technology company that serves both private/public.

California treading water better than 48 stats.. LMFAO .. where do people make up this silly arse statements when California has the 2nd highest unemployment in the U.S? Obviously some people skipped the critical thinking/maths course in school.

Keep drinking your Koolaid though.. Is it tropical punch flavored?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
. you can't be that uniformed that you don't see the big tax revenue Northrop provided to California and tax revenue from employees who are being moved or eliminated ... these are the high paying jobs by the way
You're still ignoring the issue. This is a single company and what happens with this single company won't have a noticeable impact on the state's economy.

Your suggestion that this is "very bad" is like saying taking a bucket of water out of a swimming pool and then proclaiming its now to shallow to swim in....

Although significant to the people directly involved, at the state level this is not a significant event.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
That's the reason California is 2nd highest is job growth and yet still has the 2nd highest unemployment in the U.S ..
If you adjust the numbers for population California still did decently compared to other states, so no, this isn't why. California has the 2nd highest unemployment rate because the housing bubble put a huge hole in the state's economy.

Anyhow, at the state level the unemployment rate doesn't tell you much about the strengthen of the real economy. Two things can lower the unemployment rate, namely, working aged people leaving and/or more jobs.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
. He said him and co-workers were ecstatic about the move.. Less traffic.. less smog.. Less crowded .. Better value .. Better homes.. Better schools/etc ...
Not sure I buy all of this. NOVA is not that much cheaper than SoCal. Traffic is just about as bad. Crappy weather but lots of diversity and things to do and LOTS of jobs now especially for DOD work.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
Quote:
If you adjust the numbers for population California still did decently compared to other states, so no, this isn't why.
Care to share the math to back and quantify/qualify this statement? I already shared a bit of mine...

Quote:
California has the 2nd highest unemployment rate because the housing bubble put a huge hole in the state's economy.
Even if that was the case (and data shows the unemployment covers a wide swath of areas including manufacturing), I don't see the housing bubble coming back any time soon .. So what's your point? That only confirms a bunch of jobless people will be jobless going forward.. Unless you think a brick layer is going to become the next bill gates.

Quote:
Anyhow, at the state level the unemployment rate doesn't tell you much about the strengthen of the real economy. Two things can lower the unemployment rate, namely, working aged people leaving and/or more jobs.
Uh huh

Whose ready for QE3 ? The economic #'s look horrid .. I know I Am

Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
As one who lived in No. Virginia in the past, I think it's great that all those folks are happy to leave Calif. and move east there ... I think ALL of California should move to Virginia, Texas, and Florida ... I'd rather be a bum in Calif. than rich any of those other places ... but best yet, I'd love to just have Calif. empty to myself ... no economy necessary ... doesn't take much of anything to be happy in Calif.

"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." — Epicurious

oh, wait, I already AM a bum in California [and not living in those other places].

Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Care to share the math....
Share the math? Its division dude....

Quote:
Even if that was the case (and data shows the unemployment covers a wide swath of areas including manufacturing), I don't see the housing bubble coming back any time soon .. So what's your point?
In order to fix a problem you have to first understand what caused it. You and others like to blame the problems on being "anti-business", higher than average taxes and other such nonsense. As if these things just started to be an issue 3~4 years ago and mysteriously don't seem to effect other states like New York.

Anyhow, California would do better if it focused on the housing bubble and the distortions that it caused throughout the economy. But the tools available to the state are limited, the best thing it can do is start playing hardball with other states.

Quote:
Whose ready for QE3 ?
QE3 will be little different than QE2, that is, not particularly effective. The economy needs fiscal stimulus, yet due to profound ignorance of macroeconomics the masses do not support such. Oh well, their loss.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Share the math? Its division dude....

In order to fix a problem you have to first understand what caused it. You and others like to blame the problems on being "anti-business", higher than average taxes and other such nonsense. As if these things just started to be an issue 3~4 years ago and mysteriously don't seem to effect other states like New York.

Anyhow, California would do better if it focused on the housing bubble and the distortions that it caused throughout the economy. But the tools available to the state are limited, the best thing it can do is start playing hardball with other states.

QE3 will be little different than QE2, that is, not particularly effective. The economy needs fiscal stimulus, yet due to profound ignorance of macroeconomics the masses do not support such. Oh well, their loss.
You and Obama have a lot in common. You can throw out a bunch of sentences and at face value make it sound like you know what your talking about but in reality your words are empty, without factual substance and (like Obama) can't back them up ... nor do either of you try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: