Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,572,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
So you would agree that year-over-year the feds claim California has lost jobs, not gained?
Like I said, the state gained 96,500 jobs according to their own report. If you dont like that or think there is an error, then I wholeheartedly support you contacting them immediately.

In the meantime, I will defer to the report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and news reports from thousands of media outlets around the world.

Go in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I hate to hear about this too. So sad and scary.
Exactly, we know what its like-its no fun. And we wouldnt wish that on others.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM

49 posts, read 53,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There was a time when I would have replied with some snide comment to a post such as this, but Texas is in a very precarious situation right now. Not enviable in the least. I actually feel sorry for what the near future holds for Texas. There is a whole lot of hurt coming to hundreds of thousands of TX families soon. Im so sorry.

[URL="http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/24/news/economy/texas_budget_jobs/"]Texas budget could cost more than 600,000 jobs - Mar. 24, 2011[/URL]

[URL="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7490488.html"]Analysis: State faces hundreds of thousands of job cuts | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle[/URL]

[URL="http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Current_Texas_Budget_Plan_Could_Cost_As_Many_As_33 5000_Jobs.html?storySection=story"]Current Texas Budget Plan Could Cost As Many As 335,000 Jobs[/URL]

[URL="http://www.dailyyonder.com/main-street-program/2011/03/23/3241"]Budget Cuts May Gouge Texas Main Streets | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural[/URL]
California is in worse shape ! $500B for future pensions

Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM

I wish it wasnt always the case that in order for one region of the country to gain jobs, it meant that another part of the country lost jobs.

Can't we uniformly grow jobs not at the expense of others. Ultimately I blame globalization and the need for companies to find cheaper labor elsewhere. That has had incredible negative effects on our manufacturing which is what I believe is the bedrock of any strong economy. Make stuff here and buy things here and the money stays here. Make stuff in China and sell it here and lots of the money goes to China-hence the Chinese Superpower we basically created with every trip to Walmart.

We already rue the day we allowed ourselves to get into that situation, I only hope its not too late to turn the tide.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
Are you for real? Somebody expressed sympathy for a huge group of people and you responded with "I know you are but what am I"?

This is not a game, people.

Yes, we Californians do know the state is hurting. It has been hurting for some time. That's no secret. We're attempting to celebrate something at least a bit good. Shame on us, apparently.

I can't believe the depths some people go to and it's most likely based on a political agenda, no less. Seriously, for shame.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:21 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,527,045 times
Good. If not for government lay offs, the job gains would even be higher. Government getting smaller, private sector adding jobs......what's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
Yes, unfortunately neither California nor Texas have much to celebrate these days.

Thanks for your empathy.

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times
Quote:

Can't we uniformly grow jobs not at the expense of others.
I'm not sure. That's really a good question.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,976,019 times
Quote:
Like I said, the state gained 96,500 jobs according to their own report. If you dont like that or think there is an error, then I wholeheartedly support you contacting them immediately.

In the meantime, I will defer to the report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and news reports from thousands of media outlets around the world.

Go in peace.
Well, you didn't answer my question. I'm just asking if you read the same thing I read.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times
Quote:
Do you just ignore whatever information you don't like? Just curious. To say it once again, the monthly numbers are noisy, the year-to-year numbers give you a far more accurate picture about what is going on.

You're continuous implication that these numbers are solid and that one should contact the government if they think they aren't is ridiculous, the government is well aware that the numbers are noisy and wouldn't base any policy decision on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: