Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,078,943 times

Advertisements

A one month jump in jobs of that size is interesting however the numbers are preliminary and still subject to next month's revision. I'll wait for an upward trend of say 6 months before I'll get too excited.

But the decline in unemployment rates is also related to a reduction in the size of the work force, fewer people were actively seeking work because they gave up and quit looking. From the EDD press release:
http://www.edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/urate201103a.pdf
Civilian labor force -
February 2011 - 18,119,000
January 2011 - 18,151,000
February 2010 - 18,204,000

Also from the EDD press release:
"In related data, the EDD reported that there were 666,260 people receiving regular unemployment insurance benefits during the February survey week. This compares with 603,946 last month and 714,145 last year. At the same time, new claims for unemployment insurance were 68,203 in February 2011, compared with 63,331 in January and 63,766 in February of last year."

So fewer people looking for work and more people receiving regular UI benefits vs. January.

The job creation number is good but we have to keep the other two numbers in perspective also.

I do believe right now that the economy will not worsen but I do not see a rapid recovery happening yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,172,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Easy. They are now more loyal to the nasty, divisive political rhetoric spewed to them on the radio and on tv then to their own neighbors. And that's a damn shame.
Quote:

mainly out of hatred towards people of opposite political persuasions
Quote:

Furthermore all this apologizing for the government is getting tacky, not to mention more than a tad Uncle-Tomish.
So would this last quote of yours be an example of pleasant, non hateful,non divisive, non rhetorical dialect, being politely articulated here??? http://bestsmileys.com/darwin/2.gif (broken link)

Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Despite criticism of business climate, state shows job growth - News - The Orange County Register

Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
California 2nd in U.S. job growth - Handling Hard Times - The Orange County Register

Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,980,350 times
Makes a good sound bite Charles but then reality settles in ...

This was from last week ...
Northrop to cut 500 workers

This was from last year
Northrop to cut 500 jobs

Northrop HQ had enough of California and moved out ... Jack is rolling in his grave ...
Northrop begins moving headquarters to Virginia

Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,112,010 times
Why in the world are you trying to refute state wide employment data with information about a single company? Makes no sense at all....

Companies reduce employment, go out of business, leave an area etc all the time both in good and bad times. Its the aggregates that matter...

Northrop needs to suck up to politicians, especially Republican ones, so naturally California isn't a good fit for its headquarters.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,915,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Makes a good sound bite Charles but then reality settles in ...

This was from last week ...
Northrop to cut 500 workers

This was from last year
Northrop to cut 500 jobs

Northrop HQ had enough of California and moved out ... Jack is rolling in his grave ...
Northrop begins moving headquarters to Virginia
And this just in from Chicken-Little:
"Sky is falling! Sky is falling! ... Don9 has just said so! Abandon ship! Clear the deck! Dive! Dive! Dive! The end is at hand! Prepare to meet your Maker! "

"Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here."
-- Dante --

Give it a rest, Donnie

Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,980,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why in the world are you trying to refute state wide employment data with information about a single company? Makes no sense at all....

Companies reduce employment, go out of business, leave an area etc all the time both in good and bad times. Its the aggregates that matter...

Northrop needs to suck up to politicians, especially Republican ones, so naturally California isn't a good fit for its headquarters.
Charles knows why I posted this particular company ...

I started a fresh thread on the latest unemployment news for California ... which just got worse.

As far as Northrop ... this company was started by Jack Northrop in California and grew to one of the largest aerospace companies in the world and one of the most important to our nation. Northrop leaving the land/state where it was created iswhere very bad for California.

Last edited by Vascodagama; 08-30-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 12:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,755,002 times

So we are drowning a little slower than other states. Woo Hoo! thats a positive.

If you add jobs to your base but your unemployment number rises you are still sinking below the water line. Glub Glub Glub.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,915,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So we are drowning a little slower than other states. Woo Hoo! thats a positive.

If you add jobs to your base but your unemployment number rises you are still sinking below the water line. Glub Glub Glub.
Your observation may be essentially accurate, dawg ... but the application of meaning is not, with regard to Donnie's intentions ... the observation applies to the country as a whole ... Donnie is hell-bent on demonstrating that California itself is failing more so than other states ... it's not ... California may be slipping, as is the nation still, slightly, but the statistics still support that California is treading its water better than 48 other states for now.

Now, if I ponder a while I'll come up with a segue into the Dunbar Number for you ... gimme a minute, then check your mailbox (snail-mail) for a letter from Ted on where all this is really leading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: