Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This morning on national TV a representative from the USGS stated that this disaster should be a wake up call for the West Coast. It's just a matter of time. I rest my case.
duh, of course it is a wake up call for the west coast, every earthquake is. California is probably the second best prepared area in the world for Earthquakes.

Far better to be in CA when a large earthquake hits than to be in Missouri when the New Madrid fault shakes again, last time that happened the Mississippi River ran backwards for three days, and church bells were rung by the quake... in Boston Mass.

Washington and Oregon are near the Cascadia fault, which is a fault like the one that just ripped in Japan. If the Cascadia goes big, it will dwarf anything the San Andreas might do. And, neither Washington nor Oregon are as prepared for a large quake as California.

All preparedness aside, Earthquakes will do as they will, man's best efforts will fall far short.

Just remember, nobody promised you tomorrow, you should start each day with dessert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 06:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
... Washington and Oregon are near the Cascadia fault, which is a fault like the one that just ripped in Japan. If the Cascadia goes big, it will dwarf anything the San Andreas might do. And, neither Washington nor Oregon are as prepared for a large quake as California.

Just remember, nobody promised you tomorrow, you should start each day with dessert.
Yes. And I hope some of you are taking this into appreciative account for old nullgeo who sits up here in Puget Sound keeping an eye on the Canadians (who will swoop down at first opportunity after any quake to steal all the fruit that has shaken loose from the trees all the way to Mexico). It's a lonely outpost on one of the world's worst earthquake faults. This is the definition of service and commitment.

Apple cobbler now. Lamb steaks later. Don't begrudge me the good meal. It could be my last as I serve on the front line protecting California. I would retire back to CA now except for my concern for you all.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Please link to at least one credible source.
Here's one, try googling yourself the many various sites. 2012 Doomsday - Signs of Doomsday? (http://www.2012-doomsday.us/the_world_in_flux.html - broken link)

Too bad some people have their heads in the sand like ostriches.
BTW the US government several years ago had some sites pull their information so not to cause a panic in the western coastal areas.

And if you don't believe, then there's no way I or anyone else can convince you. I bet you don't believe in life in other universes either. Some day it all comes to fruitation...

Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
That's why I used the word "credible". I knew you'd post something from the Alex Jones/Art Bell fantasy world. I could see it coming.

Show me the science. That's my religion.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Here's one, try googling yourself the many various sites. 2012 Doomsday - Signs of Doomsday? (http://www.2012-doomsday.us/the_world_in_flux.html - broken link)

BTW the US government several years ago had some sites pull their information so not to cause a panic in the western coastal areas.

And if you don't believe, then there's no way I or anyone else can convince you. I bet you don't believe in life in other universes either. Some day it all comes to fruitation...
Ok, I've noticed that you have now changed your tune a bit. You told me to check with the USGS. Now since that effort to school me has ended in humiliating failure, you're linking to a doomsday site LOL.

You live in AZ. so you think that you're safe? I hope you are making these posts solely for our entertainment. A fault moves up suddenly a few to maybe 20 feet or so underwater and created a huge Tsunami (besides the quake). If an meteor the size of Manhattan smashes into the Pacific, the resulting Tsunami would be about 1200 feet high minimum. It would push it's way up an over mountains below about 6000 feet by it's own momentum.

Now let me ask you; what do you think would happen if a land mass the size of California crashed into the ocean? The shock wave from such a calamity would alone likely extinguish 70-80% of life on earth. Then there's the Tsunami which would probably wash up somewhere in Central New Mexico, conservative "guesstimate".

You see, this is why no one is taking you seriously LOL

Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
duh, of course it is a wake up call for the west coast, every earthquake is. California is probably the second best prepared area in the world for Earthquakes...
That may be, and Japan would likely be first. If you've even been glancing at the headlines, though, they still haven't fared well at all. Are Californians a little more anxious now?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Look, anyone who thinks the works of man mean anything to an earthquake or tsunami ain't been paying attention.

We are all going to die one day, that includes you, are you anxious about it?

Incidentally, I was in a 6.5, outside, I saw my car bouncing on its springs, and I heard stuff crashing off shelves in my house, but, being outside, it was intensely interesting and not a bit frightening.

Quote:
Here's one, try googling yourself the many various sites. 2012 Doomsday - Signs of Doomsday?

Tell me, if I pull my head out of the sand, how would that change anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California