Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 PM

75 posts, read 319,432 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking to move for a while. We looked at many states and considered many of the things that were important to us. We really liked both Portland and Seattle. Except everyone in Portland said my husband would have no chance of finding a job in less than a year (even though the OR unemployment is actually 2% lower than here in CA). And many people warned me that Seattle has the worst traffic in the nation, which is one of my biggest pet peeves.

My husband hasn't been able to find steady employment for the last two years (he works in IT field) and I have been supporting us soley on my $15/hr job. Luckily we have no kids to support so our hole of an apartment is our only major expense.

My husband has recently switched fields and is now working as a plumber and making decent money. He has two job offers for even better money, one offer in Newport Beach CA and the other in La Jolla CA. We are thrilled since both are very beautiful areas. But both cost much more than where we are living now, probably because of how close they are to the beach.

Which do you think is the better place to live, considering we have job offers in both places? I have been to both, they are beautiful. We like cooler weather, but I think both places are both equal in that respect?
We do prefer suburban areas for safety reasons, clean streets, less gangs and graffiti. However, we are not snobs and wouldn't want to be outcast because we dont drive expensive cars or dress fancy. We are laid back people, we shop at walmart and target and ross and sometimes the mall if we cant find what we are looking for at the more affordable stores. We are traditional people so I think Orange County may be better...Republican wise?

Also I would be getting a new job. Do you think I have a better chance in Newport or La Jolla area? Which has the better job market overall? Which has more affordable apartments and condos? We dont live off of credit cards and would like to live within our means.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
You're aware that these two cities, while beautiful, are probably among the most expensive to live in California?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Born in La Jolla, raised in Newport Beach. I'd opt for the latter as there are more affordable areas somewhat inland but still in easy access to the beach. But both are expensive. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
La Jolla is much nicer than Newport but really expensive.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 AM

987 posts, read 1,745,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
Which has more affordable apartments and condos? We dont live off of credit cards and would like to live within our means.

Thanks!
If you & your husband end up deciding your both wanting to go to Newport Beach, would you consider Costa Mesa?? its nearby NB....and my cousin resides there off of 17th street & Irvine if u google it... (really nice area & centrally located near everything, within walking distance, in nice Condo, prices they could afford..... Her hubby has a decent job in the Medical Field & off and on she's employed, her choice. Her son attends the nearby schools that she states are really good & they really love it there (they came from Newark, NJ), at first really homesick, but she loves it now, just throwing that out there......

little side note, I'm a Walmart/Target/Ross (etc) kinda person myself, and they are allover the place (TG!)

Good luck w/whatever you decide,...

Last edited by agnt.starling; 02-04-2011 at 11:33 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM

898 posts, read 827,477 times
Costa Mesa is a lot cheaper but closer to Newport. You're going to have a VERY tough go of it, however.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM

75 posts, read 319,432 times
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes I know these are very expensive places to live but they are the places with the highest paying job offers also.
Just today we got a job offer for Monterey CA which is also pretty high paying, and I think thats about 7 hours north of OC?

We are open to taking any of these jobs since the money is pretty good but just dont know which is the best to live. So now its between La Jolla- Newport Beach- Monterey- CA.

I have been to Costa Mesa and I have lived in Huntington Beach so I know that area a little bit, although not a lot. We found Costa Mesa (the parts that we did spend time in) more of a hot spot for young singles who like to party and drink and stay out late and go to clubs and bars. This may not be the whole city of course, but just the parts we saw.

My husband is 30, Im 26 this month, and I guess some people would consider us still a "young couple". But we have the life style of an older couple I would say. We work hard, like to go to bed at a reasonable time, would rather spend money on a peaceful vacation than a wild party, we like our quiet and alone time, we dont have kids and are not planning any (as we really enjoy our quiet). I joke that we would fit right in to a 55+ community! We are conservative types, enjoy the gym, church, walking the malls and window shopping, low key dinners, jogging on the beach at sunrise or sunset (not lying in the sun at prime time in a tiny bikini). I hope this gives a good idea of our personality.

That said, which do you think would be the best fit for us? I know they are all pricey but that just seems to be where we have found the good job offers. We love nature and beach breezes and safe suburban areas without a lot of party noise.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes I know these are very expensive places to live but they are the places with the highest paying job offers also.
Just today we got a job offer for Monterey CA which is also pretty high paying, and I think thats about 7 hours north of OC?

We are open to taking any of these jobs since the money is pretty good but just dont know which is the best to live. So now its between La Jolla- Newport Beach- Monterey- CA.

I have been to Costa Mesa and I have lived in Huntington Beach so I know that area a little bit, although not a lot. We found Costa Mesa (the parts that we did spend time in) more of a hot spot for young singles who like to party and drink and stay out late and go to clubs and bars. This may not be the whole city of course, but just the parts we saw.

My husband is 30, Im 26 this month, and I guess some people would consider us still a "young couple". But we have the life style of an older couple I would say. We work hard, like to go to bed at a reasonable time, would rather spend money on a peaceful vacation than a wild party, we like our quiet and alone time, we dont have kids and are not planning any (as we really enjoy our quiet). I joke that we would fit right in to a 55+ community! We are conservative types, enjoy the gym, church, walking the malls and window shopping, low key dinners, jogging on the beach at sunrise or sunset (not lying in the sun at prime time in a tiny bikini). I hope this gives a good idea of our personality.

That said, which do you think would be the best fit for us? I know they are all pricey but that just seems to be where we have found the good job offers. We love nature and beach breezes and safe suburban areas without a lot of party noise.
Monterey is also very expensive but of the three places, that would be my choice. It's gorgeous there.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
I joke that we would fit right in to a 55+ community! We are conservative types, enjoy the gym, church, walking the malls and window shopping, low key dinners, jogging on the beach at sunrise or sunset (not lying in the sun at prime time in a tiny bikini). I hope this gives a good idea of our personality.
How about Irvine? Your husband would easily be able to commute to a job in Newport if you lived there.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
How about Irvine? Your husband would easily be able to commute to a job in Newport if you lived there.
It's a former cow pasture. That's special!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California