Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM

75 posts, read 319,445 times

Advertisements

Irvine is lovely. We did consider it. But if we have to pay such high rent prices we would like to be on the beach or in a beach city. But Irvine is very family friendly and safe and Im not putting it down in any way.

Im really thinking Monterey, CA. Its just so beautiful and it would be a nice change since I have been in SoCal for so many years now. I think Monterey is considered Central or Norcal? I have also heard its cooler, misty, overcast (things that I love). But I haven't been able to find any apartments in Monterey. Does anyone know of any apartments in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,737 times
Omg by far La Jolla!! I am a La Jolla native and the town is so much more walkable, cute, and exciting. And IMO, the coastline is far more beautiful. Plus, you don't get all the chaos of living in the LA region.

If you're interested in affordable La Jolla, definitely look into University City (UTC) or Clairemont Mesa.

If you're conservative, SD is a pretty good fit. It's more moderate I would say. But honestly, San Diego is a much more comfortable city as a whole than living in Newport Beach, which is also nice, but part of a massive urban area. Traffic is way worse there too, as well as smog.

Trust me on this one...La Jolla really does win.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 PM

I dont think I will pick Newport Beach. Although Newport is very upscale and has lots of shopping, I just dont feel that there is much to do there. Also the people come off as a little snobish. Im not saying everyone is like that that lives there, but I have seen some people with that attitude about living there.

A lot of people have said La Jolla is a great option and I have been to San Diego and liked most parts (some parts seem very old and run down). Fashion Valley mall was amazing but the people were not snobby to me at all. Most people seem friendly and it seems there is more to do, more school options which is nice. Also La Jolla cove is beautiful! My worry is that San Diego will be too warm for me, as I prefer cooler climates (overcast days, fog and rain, temperatures in the 60's rather than the 80's). But maybe I am wrong about San Diego weather?

I really like the idea of Monterey because I have lived in SoCal so long it might be nice to have a change. The biggest draw is how beautiful the coastline is. Big Sur is gorgeous and some people say the best in the country. Another big draw for me here is the weather is more ideal for my taste. My worry with Monterey is that I cant find any apartments there, which is making me think its only a military or retirement spot. Why cant I find apartments in Monterey?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,472 times
this is the equivalent to Aston Marton vs Maserati

Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain25 View Post
My worry is that San Diego will be too warm for me, as I prefer cooler climates (overcast days, fog and rain, temperatures in the 60's rather than the 80's). But maybe I am wrong about San Diego weather?

I really like the idea of Monterey because I have lived in SoCal so long it might be nice to have a change. The biggest draw is how beautiful the coastline is. Big Sur is gorgeous and some people say the best in the country. Another big draw for me here is the weather is more ideal for my taste. My worry with Monterey is that I cant find any apartments there, which is making me think its only a military or retirement spot. Why cant I find apartments in Monterey?
1. There is actually not a lot of variation in climate along the California coastal zone. Though Monterey is somewhat cooler than coastal San Diego. Inland is an entirely different story.

Avg. daily high/low
January:
Monterey: 60 - 43
San Diego: 65 -49

July:
Monterey: 68 - 52
San Diego: 75 -65

Avg. Annual Rainfall:
Monterey: 19.85 inches per year
San Diego: 10.77 inches per year

2. Monterey is a much smaller community. Housing options, esp. cheap ones, will be harder to come by than either SD or Newport.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,765 times
Quote:
My husband has recently switched fields and is now working as a plumber and making decent money.

Realistically, I hope he’ll be bringing in mega bucks, because most of the plumbers who live in Newport or La Jolla are probably self-employed with a sizable pool of large contracts.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM

Regarding the climate I know it shows on weather charts that its all similar and mild. But that only is counting the "average" highs and lows. It can be much hotter or colder than those numbers. For example, here in OC I think our "average" summer days show to be high 70's at most, maybe the low 80's. But in reality, we get our share of days that are over 90 and 100 degrees. So I dont really follow the weather charts that go off the "averages". But I still appreicate the effort and input.

My husband's job is at $40,000/year now with his no experience in this field (currently we have a combined income of $80,000/year after taxes). But the average plubmer, once they have experience and work for a decent company, is $70,000/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California