Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,192 times

Advertisements

What do you think of Newport Beach? We just thinking to move there (not decided yet).
I'm asking not abot the prices to the real estate (we already know them), but in general we need some information. In what kind of people live there? About how fun may be to live there (clubs, bars and other stuff)?
Or may be you will suggest another city in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 AM

989 posts, read 5,944,426 times
Mods: please move this to 'Orange County'

Newport Beach is a medium-sized beach city and considered one of the most desirable places to live in Orange County, if not the world. I have been lucky myself to live here for the past few years. I have noticed that there are a lot of positive and negative stereotypes about Newport and most of them are true. "White" "rich" "conservative" "all bimmers and benzes" "materialistic" -There ya go!! Woohoo..

I find it to be much more relaxed and more friendly than Beverly Hills.(as many celebrities do live in Newport.) Beverly has alot of people and businesses with a stuck-up vibe. For example,those people who move to Beverly Hills just to say they live there. That's not so mush the case here. Newport, besides recent tv shows, hasn't had that type of exposure therefore most of it's residents didn't move here to talk about it.

In North Newport, you have the "surfer-types." These are generally young guys(and gals) in their mid-twenties who might attend OCC or UCI classes at night after going out for some waves. Further south, on the peninsula, you have more of a mixture.. million dollar homes, young professionals, retirees, some college students, some drug rehabs, (you get the picture).. There's a lot of families in Newport(the schools are top-notch)..

As far as traffic, The freeways are horrible, but the roads in Newport are all pretty wide, well-planned, and very clean. Rush hour has it's typical congestion, and PCH can be a disaster though at anytime. Parking is usually very crowded on Balboa Island and Peninsula so beware. Valet is availiable at Fashion Island and nearly all upscale restaurants/clubs/hotels in Newport.

Nightlife isn't like the L.A. scene at all. Nothing even close to Sunset Blvd. street livliness. It's different scene because the older guys have there spots, and the younger have there spots; like Sharkeez, and The Shark Club in Costa Mesa. It also seems that there is more racial segregation down here. L.A. seems less refined. Citysearch.com does a decent job for nightlife, but in my opinion, the OCWeekly is better. Also look into; Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa (as both have quite a lot of young professionals and students).

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 03-27-2007 at 07:27 AM..

Old 03-27-2007, 12:08 PM

77 posts, read 634,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post

Newport Beach is a medium-sized beach city and considered one of the most desirable places to live in Orange County, if not the world.
I cannot agree more .

My fav part of the city is the area within the zip code 92657(New Port Coast).

Quote:
Also look into; Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa (as both have quite a lot of young professionals and students).
HB and Costa Mesa(except the parts close to Santa Ana) are very nice cities ,though if one asks me MO, I'll recommend NPB over Huntington beach or Costa Mesa.
Yes,most of the ppl there are rich ,conservative(more political/fiscal conservatism than the social/religious one),republicans ..so what?I'm a liberal,and lean toward the left ,and still fail to see why differing in politics should divide any society to 'us' and 'them' ...isn't one of the main principles of being liberal is to be tolerant of others' diff opinions?!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 AM

430 posts, read 1,657,884 times
Any other advise on Newport Beach?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 AM

36,762 posts, read 67,963,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post

Newport Beach is a medium-sized beach city and considered one of the most desirable places to live in Orange County, if not the world. I have been lucky myself to live here for the past few years. I have noticed that there are a lot of positive and negative stereotypes about Newport and most of them are true. "White" "rich" "conservative" "all bimmers and benzes" "materialistic" -There ya go!! Woohoo..

I find it to be much more relaxed and more friendly than Beverly Hills.(as many celebrities do live in Newport.) Beverly has alot of people and businesses with a stuck-up vibe. For example,those people who move to Beverly Hills just to say they live there. That's not so mush the case here. Newport, besides recent tv shows, hasn't had that type of exposure therefore most of it's residents didn't move here to talk about it.

In North Newport, you have the "surfer-types." These are generally young guys(and gals) in their mid-twenties who might attend OCC or UCI classes at night after going out for some waves. Further south, on the peninsula, you have more of a mixture.. million dollar homes, young professionals, retirees, some college students, some drug rehabs, (you get the picture).. There's a lot of families in Newport(the schools are top-notch)..

As far as traffic, The freeways are horrible, but the roads in Newport are all pretty wide, well-planned, and very clean. Rush hour has it's typical congestion, and PCH can be a disaster though at anytime. Parking is usually very crowded on Balboa Island and Peninsula so beware. Valet is availiable at Fashion Island and nearly all upscale restaurants/clubs/hotels in Newport.

Nightlife isn't like the L.A. scene at all. Nothing even close to Sunset Blvd. street livliness. It's different scene because the older guys have there spots, and the younger have there spots; like Sharkeez, and The Shark Club in Costa Mesa. It also seems that there is more racial segregation down here. L.A. seems less refined. Citysearch.com does a decent job for nightlife, but in my opinion, the OCWeekly is better. Also look into; Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa (as both have quite a lot of young professionals and students).
+1 Nothing like a local's perspective. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California