Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 PM

30 posts, read 196,250 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to possibly moving to Fresno, CA (from Vegas) for opportunities. I have read some info that Fresno has thousands of Latino and Asian gangs, which would scare me. But, there was a statistic that Vegas's crime is alot higher. I have been living in Vegas for 6 yrs but do NOT feel unsafe at all. I guess it depends on which part of town one lives. Anyhow, would someone advise me where I can rent a nice and safe apt or condo to live or possibly just rent a room in a house in a nice and safe neighborhood? Also, which neighborhood I should avoid...Also, I have read one thread saying that it's foggy in "winter" time; how foggy is it compared to SF foggy summer time? I have lived in SF for 10 yrs and didnt like that foggy summer at all. Thank you very much for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:42 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
With the exception of some areas surrounding the downtown area much of the Fresno/Clovis area is safe. Fresno has lower per capita crime than Vegas and Clovis is typically ranked one of the safest cities in California over 75,000 residents. You can see some recent rankings here:
Most Dangerous to Safest US City Rankings from CQPress
76. Las Vegas
130. San Francisco
133. Fresno
148. North Las Vegas
303. Clovis
317. Henderson
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Recommendations for housing will depend upon your preferences and price range. More information about what you are looking for or where you might have a job would be useful. I would avoid the southwest area and also the southeast from downtown to about Clovis Avenue. There are some individual nice neighborhoods in the areas but it is hard to quickly explain on a smaller level.

There is a nice area of apartments along Nees in Fresno, just east and west of Blackstone. That tends to be an upscale suburban area. If you are looking for something less suburban, you might look at the Mural District or the Tower District. Personally I find the small Mural District to be more upscale these days than the Tower but the Tower is much larger and more diverse.

Central Valley fog is dense with visibility below 1/4 miles (sometimes only 200 feet). But it only occurs an average of about 30-35 times a year. We have not had many days of dense fog this winter instead it has been high overcast.

The fog might be your tradeoff for fewer high heat days. Fresno gets about 36 days average per year over 100 degrees compared to Vegas' 73 days per year over 100 degrees.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 PM

Thank you, FresnoFacts, for your information. I was offered a job in Fresno or Paso Robles but not sure of exact location yet. So, I am basically looking for a nice (hopefully newer), beautiful and safe apt or condo where I can walk my dog or jog in the neighborhood w/o worrying someone will come behind and rob/mug me--an upscale suburban area would be perfect. The commute time can be upto 40 minutes. Do you know, by any chance, any names of these apt complexes? Thank you.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Here are a few complex names off the top of my head, but there are others in that north area (RiverPark and Woodward areas). These also are close to things like shopping, restaurants, etc. I don't know the pet policies at any of them though.

All of these are in the Nees Ave area between Palm Ave and First St.
*Windscape
*The Springs
*Riverview Garden Apartments (this is also the complex where UCSF houses medical students doing their residency in Fresno)
*Park Ridge Apts
*Lakeside Condominium Rentals
*Island Lakes
*Fort Washington Apartments

A little further north of the above complexes you might also price some places like:
*Cascade
*Dominion Heights
*Dominion Courtyard
*Le Provence Condominiums
*CrownPoint

FYI, if it is an amenity you might want to use, there is a leash free area at Woodward Park just north of the Japanese Garden. Woodward Park is also popular with walkers and joggers. That would be about 1 to 2 miles from all of these apartments.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM

154 posts, read 357,282 times
Have had a home in Woodward Park and currently have one in Vegas. Feel equally safe.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Here are a few complex names off the top of my head, but there are others in that north area (RiverPark and Woodward areas). These also are close to things like shopping, restaurants, etc. I don't know the pet policies at any of them though.

All of these are in the Nees Ave area between Palm Ave and First St.
*Windscape
*The Springs
*Riverview Garden Apartments (this is also the complex where UCSF houses medical students doing their residency in Fresno)
*Park Ridge Apts
*Lakeside Condominium Rentals
*Island Lakes
*Fort Washington Apartments

A little further north of the above complexes you might also price some places like:
*Cascade
*Dominion Heights
*Dominion Courtyard
*Le Provence Condominiums
*CrownPoint

FYI, if it is an amenity you might want to use, there is a leash free area at Woodward Park just north of the Japanese Garden. Woodward Park is also popular with walkers and joggers. That would be about 1 to 2 miles from all of these apartments.
Thank you very much for the list of apt complexes!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyygirl View Post
Have had a home in Woodward Park and currently have one in Vegas. Feel equally safe.
What part of Vegas is your house located? I am currently living in Mountain's Edge (SW of Vegas). How would you compare the Woodward Park area, north or northeast part of Fresno to Vegas--where in Vegas would you consider these safe areas in Fresno?

Last edited by DesertOasis; 01-24-2011 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM

154 posts, read 357,282 times
Not comparing the scenery, just the crime maps and personal experience. I am between Centennial Hills and Alliente. Almost bought in Mountain's Edge though. :-) Anything north of Herndon in Fresno is good. Gang behavior is way at the other end of town. My son just bought in northeast Fresno, Nees and Maple. Almost a Clovis address. Nice area there too. Not as big lots as the original Woodward Park. We had occasional ducks in the swimming pool, geese and their goslings strutting down our street at times, and owls at night. Miss all that I must admit. but Las Vegas has it's own kind of beauty. We have not yet moved permanently to LV. Still in Cali. south of Fresno about 40 miles. Feel free to write me directly if you wish.

Last edited by Heyygirl; 01-25-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
moving to fresno for opportunities?

you planning on joining a mexican gang?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
moving to fresno for opportunities?

you planning on joining a mexican gang?
majin, you're funny! I didnt know I missed an important word, and that was supposed to be for "JOB opportunities". So tell me more about it. Do u feel unsafe living in Fresno?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California