Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:47 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
And remember your gun should be just that- concealed. Many customers would be turned off if you met them with a gun showing. It would not bother me but some it would.
Usually when I'm with an established client I'm not carring or it's in my console. Either carrying or not it is always concealed and I agree some might night like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:51 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,303,260 times
In my county and municipality, I am allowed to use up to 20% of my home space for a home-based business. I live in a relatively small dwelling, so I take the 20% as a base.

On schedule C, I take 20% of basic utilities (electricity and phone) and maintenance and/or rent.

My business is largely based on the internet, less so on the phone, so I separate the internet portion of my phone bill and deduct 90% of that separately. In my case, I believe it is justified.

In the end, indeed, we are talking about nickels and dimes, but I have also heard that the IRS can be petty, I don't know, I have not been audited.

Nonetheless, I paid the maximum in social security for 2007 - even more, I actually received an unexpected refund - so I hope they would be satisfied with that.

Also, my expenses are only a small proportion of my revenues, in the neighborhood of 5%-10%, so hardly likely to trip a red flag.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
The IRS is not petty. You just have to back-up every line item. Oh, an audit was not fun but, very survivable. I had some I could not come up with receipts. I got some cash slips to fill-in the blanks. You just have to play your best hand, make your own luck. I am more careful about keeping thing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business