Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 07:11 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times

Advertisements

Being in real estate which in the last few years has become more dangerous, I have my concealed handgun permit, purchase ammo, hit the shooting range and take a business expense on all the above. I believe I can justify it due to some of the people I meet & places I go taking care of foreclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Being in real estate which in the last few years has become more dangerous, I have my concealed handgun permit, purchase ammo, hit the shooting range and take a business expense on all the above. I believe I can justify it due to some of the people I meet & places I go taking care of foreclosures.
Why not??? I use my dogs in my advertising. Yep, write them off.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
That's great that you prevailed, Driller1!

However, I don't want to win, because I don't want to play. I don't want the huge hassle and expense of being audited over small deductions that will save me $100. My time is worth a lot more than that.
This is great. This is literally the EXACT conversation I had with my mom today on the phone. I 100% agree with you and I think the exact same way.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
... My CPA does exactly what I pay him to do-- reduce my tax burden without getting me audited.
We have been audited three times.

For us it has been positive experiences, twice they increased our 'refund', the third time it remained the same.

Not bad since nothing gets with-held from our pay in the first place

Old 08-02-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
This is great. This is literally the EXACT conversation I had with my mom today on the phone. I 100% agree with you and I think the exact same way.
The IRS depends on you good folks!!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have been audited three times.

For us it has been positive experiences, twice they increased our 'refund', the third time it remained the same.

Not bad since nothing gets with-held from our pay in the first place
My audit was six hours. We went thought two years, item by item. In the end there was no change. I think I was audited because I filed a 1040X. I had to because of the state.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:30 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The IRS depends on you good folks!!
Not really.

While the numbers change a bit each year, when looking at the Federal Revenue stats the portion that comes from individual income taxation runs from 25% to 32% each year.

The Federal government really does not depend on individual income taxation for it's revenue.

And keep in mind that individual income tax filing began just over 60 years ago.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
It is all murky now because many providers no longer have different classes of service like the old phone co used to have. It used to be that you had to have a business class service to get the deduction because the phone company had a residential tier and a busines tier. But now with cell phones and VOIP, they do not have differing tiers anymore.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And remember your gun should be just that- concealed. Many customers would be turned off if you met them with a gun showing. It would not bother me but some it would.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Not really.

While the numbers change a bit each year, when looking at the Federal Revenue stats the portion that comes from individual income taxation runs from 25% to 32% each year.

The Federal government really does not depend on individual income taxation for it's revenue.

And keep in mind that individual income tax filing began just over 60 years ago.
OK, ya got me on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business