Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Cold Stone franchisees feel chill - MSN Money

Sad story, although I never thought you can make much money with this franchise. I love the icecream but IMo the overhead cost are too high. Fresh fruit is expensive, employees need their income and that on a $ 4.- ice cream...you have to sell a lot of ice cream and for many Americans it is very expensive to go there with a family of 4....spending aprox. $ 16.- for 4 ice creams!!, but they taste.....
I used to live close to a Cold Stone and a Marble Slab ice cream shops....and I regularly avoided them in favor of getting the kids a cone from McDonalds. It's really all the same to them and saves me about $12. Better yet just get some at the store and scoop your own.

People wonder why Starbucks is having a hard time. If they charged a reasonable price for a cup of coffee they'd probably sell more of it.

Everything has gotten wildly expensive these days. When I was growing up I would never have thought I'd see $1 for a bottle of water. The profit margin on that has to be huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:21 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
We had a neighbor in my development who started a Cold Stone in a very posh area. He sold out before everything went so badly here in Florida and now he is moving to a nicer neighborhood.

The state of the economy has forced the Marble Slab that I loved so much to close. There used to be one also down my Disney but its been so long since I was down there I don't even know if its still there.

I am trying to stay away from sweets now anyway.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
We had friends that hocked everything they had to set up a store.

It is still in business but I wonder how they are doing.

Best ice creamer ever though.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
Default Then just don't go out

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post

Yesterday we were at a mall that had a Cinnabon in it. The kids wanted a cinnamon bun, but at $3.49 each I said forget it! I thought to myself "Gosh, I can make a whole pan of cinnamon buns for that!".

I don't understand a reply like this. Sure you can go home and make a pan of Cinnamon rolls for less then $3.49. you can also buy a huge bag of potato's and make fries, why go to McD's. You can also buy a bag of flour, tomato sauce and cheese for a few bucks and make your pizza instead of $10-15. You do realize supermarkets make their money on very thin margins, because you buy more there and they have many more customers. Places like cold stone, jamba juice. Sure their margins may be higher on the food side, but once you pay rent, payroll, utilities, taxes, the net profit on that $4.00 treat is 25 cents if they are lucky.

*I own my own Frozen Yogurt shop and it's a pity when people come in shocked at paying $2-$4 for a cup of Froyo with fresh fruit and toppings. It's as if all the stuff in the store felll from the sky for free. Rent is free, utilities is free. Man if I only had to pay for food costs, I'd be making over 6 figures!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:29 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,855 times
Learn to make your own ice cream. Toast and chop your own nuts, hand whip your whipped cream. The domestic arts are like gold. Self sufficiency is essential in these hard times. Pay for real vanilla extract. Treat yourself to most excellent ice cream at least every 14 days.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:38 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Treat yourself to most excellent ice cream at least every 14 days.
A truly wise woman, If you weren't so far away I'd marry you. (But don't tell my wife)

Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
spending aprox. $ 16.- for 4 ice creams!!, but they taste.....
Well, when I was at the Orange County fair I paid $10 for a beer that was in a cup, I don't think $16 for 4 ice creams is expensive at all, I think the ice cream for $4 is much more worth it than a Starbucks latte that costs the same.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:13 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Is Coldstone still around?

Old 08-16-2016, 02:18 PM

366 posts, read 493,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Is Coldstone still around?
Yes, they are, but like many franchises they exist simply because the zees signed a personal guarantee, so many are operated at a loss rather being forced into personal bankruptcy under the default penalties. Hence you will often find the operator works at a full time job elsewhere to make ends meet.

I reviewed ColdStone several times for my clients and always counseled against engaging with them.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
There is one within walking distance of my house. We go a couple times a month. It's delicious but definitely pricey. We never get out of there for less than $25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business