Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2023, 07:26 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,896,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Brian Higgins is leaving Congress, so it probably won't get done. I believe there is a private developer building a new bridge between Detroit and Windsor. I would think if there was a need here, someone could step up.
I believe the company tried to build a private bridge here but was blocked.

https://wnyheritagepress.com/content...rie/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 08:48 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Another dodge, but the question was "why does Buffalo "Need" so much money"
I literally answered the question in relation to the actual topic. You would have the state in regards to the other funding you referred to.

As for your other post, that is actually why people are rethinking the tunnel plan, as the street grid could be used to get people across the city and the federal funding is for infrastructure, which is not going to be rebuild for free.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:30 AM

CK what do you think of that statement?

"Still Governor Kathy Hochul and the DOT say it’s the tunnel or nothing at this point, not guaranteeing Kensington funding will stay in Buffalo if public opinion continues to shift."

Do you think surface or nothing is the right way to go?

Old 11-20-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
CK what do you think of that statement?

"Still Governor Kathy Hochul and the DOT say it’s the tunnel or nothing at this point, not guaranteeing Kensington funding will stay in Buffalo if public opinion continues to shift."

Do you think surface or nothing is the right way to go?
Before I answer, it really should be about what the community wants. With that said, I think both of those parties should be flexible in terms of ideas. I know this was actually a 15 year process in terms of the planning with a community organization, but I also think that because people have been privy to plans in other cities at a lower cost, I think it would be shortsighted to not consider other ideas.

As mentioned before, in Syracuse, there has been ongoing meetings about the I-81 viaduct and that should have been the way to go in terms of the Kensington. When Rochester did their Inner Loop development, officials from Syracuse actually went over the see what it was about, because they wanted to see if it could be used as an example of what could be done in the area of the I-81 viaduct project, which is going to a boulevard model, that could offer some walkability and connect the Downtown and University hill areas in the core of the city with development. I think this is why the community is saying hold on, as this could serve as a way to develop the community with similar development and infrastructure that could/would spill over in the Jefferson Avenue and Fillmore Avenue corridors, which essentially brackets the Kensington and the Adjacent neighborhoods. A fill in option could allow for a boulevard with some mixed use development at a lower price tag(think of a newer, East Side version similar to say Linwood), but the rest of the funding could be used for adjacent infrastructure in that zone from Best to Sidney from south to north and those two corridors from east to west. That in turn would allow for home appreciation for a neighborhood that needs it and for business district revitalization. If the issue in the community is economic and employment based, why shouldn't that be considered? So, while the process took place over a decade and a half, I really think people are starting to see how there are other options out there that benefit those directly impacted by what would occur.

Again, I suggest for those reading this thread to view this informative interview/show: https://www.facebook.com/michael.bad...62726624734819

and from 37 minutes in of this interview/show: https://www.facebook.com/WeTheParent...52848173007358

Old 11-20-2023, 09:56 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Before I answer, it really should be about what the community wants. With that said, I think both of those parties should be flexible in terms of ideas. I know this was actually a 15 year process in terms of the planning with a community organization, but I also think that because people have been privy to plans in other cities at a lower cost, I think it would be shortsighted to not consider other ideas.

As mentioned before, in Syracuse, there has been ongoing meetings about the I-81 viaduct and that should have been the way to go in terms of the Kensington. When Rochester did their Inner Loop development, officials from Syracuse actually went over the see what it was about, because they wanted to see if it could be used as an example of what could be done in the area of the I-81 viaduct project, which is going to a boulevard model, that could offer some walkability and connect the Downtown and University hill areas in the core of the city with development. I think this is why the community is saying hold on, as this could serve as a way to develop the community with similar development and infrastructure that could/would spill over in the Jefferson Avenue and Fillmore Avenue corridors, which essentially brackets the Kensington and the Adjacent neighborhoods. A fill in option could allow for a boulevard with some mixed use development at a lower price tag(think of a newer, East Side version similar to say Linwood), but the rest of the funding could be used for adjacent infrastructure in that zone from Best to Sidney from south to north and those two corridors from east to west. That in turn would allow for home appreciation for a neighborhood that needs it and for business district revitalization. If the issue in the community is economic and employment based, why shouldn't that be considered? So, while the process took place over a decade and a half, I really think people are starting to see how there are other options out there that benefit those directly impacted by what would occur.

Again, I suggest for those reading this thread to view this informative interview/show: https://www.facebook.com/michael.bad...62726624734819

and from 37 minutes in of this interview/show: https://www.facebook.com/WeTheParent...52848173007358
Why aren't these corridors thriving now? If there was a desire/ need, wouldn't it have occurred already?
To spend 60 years sitting around, waiting for someone else to revitalize the area is a sure sign that things will resume back again in the near future. Until the people themselves roll up their sleeves and make these things happen, it will be the same old same old.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Why aren't these corridors thriving now? If there was a desire/ need, wouldn't it have occurred already?
To spend 60 years sitting around, waiting for someone else to revitalize the area is a sure sign that things will resume back again in the near future. Until the people themselves roll up their sleeves and make these things happen, it will be the same old same old.
Probably similar to why home values depreciated when the highway came through the neighborhood. That in turn, causes a chain reaction of sorts. There may have been other factors like the economy/job losses, changes in shopping habits, etc. So, it is likely a combination of things.

I also don't think it is a matter of waiting for someone else, as even the cap plan was 15 years in the making and actually goes back even to the 1970's. So, this is why when i suggest information to people, it is to educate people on what is actually happening, not some political talking point that gets regurgitated from someone that fulfills one's political view.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Probably similar to why home values depreciated when the highway came through the neighborhood. That in turn, causes a chain reaction of sorts. There may have been other factors like the economy/job losses, changes in shopping habits, etc. So, it is likely a combination of things.

I also don't think it is a matter of waiting for someone else, as even the cap plan was 15 years in the making and actually goes back even to the 1970's. So, this is why when i suggest information to people, it is to educate people on what is actually happening, not some political talking point that gets regurgitated from someone that fulfills one's political view.
Ok, it goes back to the 70's. 50 years. It's absolutely not a political talking point, as you do often. It's a people issue, and bringing out the best for the people, not to the people.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Ok, it goes back to the 70's. 50 years. It's absolutely not a political talking point, as you do often. It's a people issue, and bringing out the best for the people, not to the people.
I could care less about politics to the degree people harp on it on here. So, stop with the fib or cap, as the kids say.

My point is simply to actually go to the source to see has been going on. Hence, why I continue to tell people to check out those interviews, as it will give context to much of the situation in that area.

I will add that there are still many businesses in those corridors, but their potential would at least increase with proper investment.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-20-2023 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-20-2023, 10:36 AM

The more this is talked about and the more people that get involved, the greater chance that nothing will get done. If the Governor and the DOT don't want to engage, then at some point whoever is in charge of the opposition should stop and say "do we let this go the way of the Piece Bridge or do we accept this as the best we can do and embrace it". If I was the Governor and the DOT, I might say to myself "what do these folks want? We are giving them 1 Billion dollars to transform the 33 and correct some of the injustices of the past and they want to restart a process that has already taken 15 years. So there will have to be more studies and hearings and the money will go elsewhere. We tried our best and if they don't want our help so be it."

Old 11-20-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I could care less about politics to the degree people harp on it on here. So, stop with the fib or cap, as the kids say.

My point is simply to actually go to the source to see has been going on. Hence, why I continue to tell people to check out those interviews, as it will give context to much of the situation in that area.

I will add that there are still many businesses in those corridors, but their potential would at least increase with proper investment.
Yes, I listened to the interview.

So there's not enough business to make improvements? There are all kinds of "storefront" and other business programs already, to assist new and existing businesses. Why haven't they explored those avenues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area