Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 73,965 times

Advertisements

In a little over a year my wife and I should make a combined income of around $110,000/year. We both love Boulder which is where my wife will be working, but can't figure out how people afford to purchase homes there (we own a home now near Denver and refuse to rent again). We've looked into surrounding areas, but Louisville is still very expensive (especially since we'd already be compromising). Lafayette and Longmont both seem a bit far from the mountains and the schools in both don't seem to be all that great (at least according the greatschools.com). Westminster and Broomfield both seem nice and all, but we're trying to avoid the suburban sprawl.
If it were up to me, I'd be living IN the mountains. My wife isn't as enthusiastic about this idea (she's concerned about the snow+mountain+car=danger equation). Problem is, I work in Denver and there isn't really a mountain community that works for both of us (Nederland, Jamestown and Lyons are too far for me - Evergreen and Conifer are too far for my wife). I've tried to find something like Boulder (against mountains and not quite IN them), but Golden is the only other city I can find. Problem with Golden being, I've heard the commute up route 93 is hell in the winter if it's even open. It also shows 37 minutes on google maps (further than my current home which is taking I-36 into consideration). Aside from that, it also seems pretty expensive to again be compromising the actual town we'd like to live in.
So long story short (and I'm assuming there is no real answer to this), how does one afford Boulder? Not even right downtown, but even the ugly neighborhoods are outside out price range of $200,000-$300,000 (and 300 is pushing it really). Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk42 View Post
Lafayette and Longmont both seem a bit far from the mountains and the schools in both don't seem to be all that great (at least according the greatschools.com).
Not sure what part of Longmont or schools you are talking about.
I'm on the southwest side - closer to the mountains than some of the towns you listed and great schools.....

As to how people afford Boulder...well, I guess they make more money, already had money, or are willing to sacrifice certain things to live there if that's what they really want.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:55 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,114 times
They make more money or require less.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 73,965 times
Thanks for the responses. It's as I figured - People either inherit, make a lot of $, or are house poor. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I hadn't thought of yet. My wife and I looked into Longmont for a while. Mostly old town Longmont. Central Elementary was rated a 4/10 and Columbine Elementary a 1/10 on greatschools. Skyline is a 5/10 and Longmont High School recently went from 7/10 to 6/10.
The homes in old town Longmont (we prefer older architecture) are beautiful. Main St. has so much potential too. Right now, however, it's mostly checks into cash stores, pawn shops and thrift stores. The thing that turned us both off about Longmont the most though was all the negative publicity about crime and gang violence. We have that here in Denver and if I'm going to be commuting 30-40 minutes, I don't want to have to see all of that stuff anymore. It's definitely something to still think about however. Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,114 times
I live in an old house in old town Longmont and I hear everything you are saying -- *except* I don't think Main St is just pawn shops and thrift stores. There's some good stuff there right now (e.g., Sun Rose Cafe is awesome, Cayenne Kitchen, Terroir, a new good taqueria, several cafes, etc.) The schools are what concern me, for sure, as we have a baby. But we're trying to figure that one out.

Really wouldn't worry about the crime.

I'm sure Eon will come in to tell you that Longmont is the best thing that ever happened to Boulder County. lol.

I really like Old Town.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Here is my opinion on some of those "ratings".....
I had never heard of that website, so I went on there and put in the elementary school my son went to in Longmont - Indian Peaks Elementary.

I think (not for sure) it's the oldest elementary in Longmont. It is a bi-lingual school. There are many I am sure who would knock it down.

If I went by the rating on there - a 3 - I would freak I suppose.

But we LOVED that school. For one thing, I loved the diversity. The teachers were wonderful, the volunteering and parent involvement - abundant.

My son now goes to Niwot High (Indian Peaks feeds in to Niwot High) - rating on that website a 10. My son has always thrived in the schools he went to, gets high grades, is in all Honors classes. Obviously something went right early on in school. You can't just go by scores. It's what your child puts in to learning, how involved as a parent you are, etc.

I'm not trying to sway you - just pointing out that "scores" don't always mean anything.

As for the gang stuff - that has been well discussed on here, and as many who live here have said, is way over hyped and a tiresome topic. Not sure what stuff you are worried about seeing.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
I live in an old house in old town Longmont and I hear everything you are saying -- *except* I don't think Main St is just pawn shops and thrift stores. There's some good stuff there right now (e.g., Sun Rose Cafe is awesome, Cayenne Kitchen, Terroir, a new good taqueria, several cafes, etc.)
I agree - it has gotten much, much better. That little gourmet kitchen store is great.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
I really like the gift / knick-knacks / furnishings shop on the West side of Main Street (what is it called?) and we certainly seem to have lots more delis and restaurants. Now if only Dickens Tavern would pay its electricity bill so they could turn on a few more lights . . .

Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM

And the Used Book Store - I don't think I've ever paid for a book in there with all the credit we get when she takes some of our used books!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Ways people manage to live in Boulder:
1) Make well over 100K/yr, maybe well over 200 (which isn't all that uncommon, for DINK couples)
2) Rent a small apartmemnt, a room, or otherwise live very cheaply
3) Bring a ton of equity from selling a previous home (usually from out of state)
4) Bought a house there decades ago and stayed put.
5) Don't make much more than you and really can't afford it and may or may not end up being able to keep their house there.

That said, there are plenty of other nice but less trendy towns, many of which are closer to the mountains than Boulder is. There are many, many threads in this forum with recommendations of places like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area