Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,417 times

Advertisements

I think you should convince your wife to move to Evergreen! I've lived in Indian Hills (above Morrison), Longmont, and Lodo, all the while commuting to Boulder for work. The only place I didn't like was Longmont (a big boring suburb). I'm planning to move to Evergreen myself. It is my favorite area...easy commute to downtown and reasonable commute to Boulder so long as you are near I-70. For the year I commuted on Hwy 93, I can only remember one time that it was closed because of weather. You might also consider Coal Creek Canyon between Golden and Boulder. It's less developed than Evergreen but very beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:47 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
Serendipity.

Oh, and there's a new used bookstore on Main, JKCoop. Not sure if you've checked it out. I think it is Barbed Wire Books, maybe? It is where the bike shop was (High Gear). It looked pretty good when I went in there.

Also, not on Main, but Sugarbeet is really terrific. I like Two Dog Diner in Prospect a lot too.
Oh Sugarbeet is my favourite restaurant! I always take my mother there when she comes to visit and we have a wonderful time. It's the first place she ever had Japanese-style seared tuna . Haven't tried that Diner yet but would love to give it a go.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk42 View Post
Can you name a few just so I can make sure I haven't heard of them already? Thanks.
Golden, Louisville, Lyons

Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 73,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What would you be compromising to live in Louisville, besides the fact that it's not Boulder? Louisville is a great family town. I have written extensively about its festivals, concerts, community events and the like. Some day I may compile it all together and post it on the sticky.

Lafayette's schools are fine, and there's always open enrollment.
I like Louisville - I just think it's overpriced. I'd end up living in a 70's build that I could afford elsewhere for much less $. I understand they have great schools and a nice sense of community, but it isn't Boulder and doesn't offer the things I like about Boulder (proximity to mountains, lots to do, ect...). Centaurus High in Lafayette is only rated a 5/10 on greatschools which is the only thing I have to go off of as far as looking into school systems.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
Quote:
I like Louisville - I just think it's overpriced. I'd end up living in a 70's build that I could afford elsewhere for much less $. I understand they have great schools and a nice sense of community, but it isn't Boulder and doesn't offer the things I like about Boulder (proximity to mountains, lots to do, ect...). Centaurus High in Lafayette is only rated a 5/10 on greatschools which is the only thing I have to go off of as far as looking into school systems.
Centaurus has the IB program, a joint engineering program with CU Boulder, and a full array of AP classes.

It also has many kids who are poor, learning to speak English, etc., accounting for test scores. It's truly a "diverse" school within the BVSD. It's a fine school for all types of kids (read some of the comments on greatschools, don't just look at the ratings, which are based only on test scores).

There's also always the option of school choice/open enrollment. Note that Peak to Peak charter (also BVSD) is one of the highest rated schools; it's also in Lafayette.

There's no need to be afraid of Lafayette because of the schools.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Where would you find this house for "much less"? What does much less mean to you? 5%? 10%? More?

Louisville students go to Monarch High School. If you have read information that they go to Centaurus, it is quite old, as MHS opened in 1998. As suzco said, Centaurus is a fine school.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times
The prices in Boulder are loosening up a bit at the moment; never been a better time to buy since 1991. Yes, prices are higher, but for the first time in years there are deals; just have to look. Probably not going to find many decent single family homes for under 400k, but it's better than I have ever remembered it ....deal wise it is out there though..I am native, and ex- broker in the area.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where would you find this house for "much less"? What does much less mean to you? 5%? 10%? More?

Louisville students go to Monarch High School. If you have read information that they go to Centaurus, it is quite old, as MHS opened in 1998. As suzco said, Centaurus is a fine school.
You can find 70's houses almost anywhere for much less (outside of Boulder or Louisville). Westminster, Morrison (Friendly Hills), Arvada, Broomfield, Thornton, Northglenn, Longmont, Littleton, Lakewood, Aurora, Centennial, ect... Much less means over 2,000 sq ft updated and in good condition for between 200,000 to 300,000. Rather than Louisville's prices which would require taking that up to 300,000 to 400,000 for the same type of house. I know that Louisville has great schools (Monarch included) and I was just responding to a comment about Lafayette's schools (Centaurus).

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
The prices in Boulder are loosening up a bit at the moment; never been a better time to buy since 1991. Yes, prices are higher, but for the first time in years there are deals; just have to look. Probably not going to find many decent single family homes for under 400k, but it's better than I have ever remembered it ....deal wise it is out there though..I am native, and ex- broker in the area.
I still couldn't afford anywhere near 400k. I wish I could because I'd love to live in Boulder, but making a little over 100k won't get me even a 300k house without being housepoor.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
You can find 70's houses almost anywhere for much less (outside of Boulder or Louisville). Westminster, Morrison (Friendly Hills), Arvada, Broomfield, Thornton, Northglenn, Longmont, Littleton, Lakewood, Aurora, Centennial, ect... Much less means over 2,000 sq ft updated and in good condition for between 200,000 to 300,000. Rather than Louisville's prices which would require taking that up to 300,000 to 400,000 for the same type of house. I know that Louisville has great schools (Monarch included) and I was just responding to a comment about Lafayette's schools (Centaurus).
Why don't you show some actual price comparisons? I doubt these 2000+ sq. ft. 70s houses in these other towns are all updated and in prime condition if they are asking $200K. The older areas of all the northern suburbs you stated are showing their age, housing wise, in many cases. Don't know so much about the southern burbs, as I don't live there. Even at $300K, that's a bit dubious. There aren't that many large 70s houses in Louisville. Builders were building "starter" homes in Lsvl at the time, 1200-1800 sq. ft. That is the case in the other burbs as well, for the mot part.

There is nothing wrong with Centaurus High School. Louisville kids used to go there, and from there to all sorts of "good" colleges. Lafayette kids still do go there, and from there to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area