Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM

857 posts, read 1,732,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Although I do volunteer work, where I have met the nicest people, this community is the least friendly on average than anywhere I have lived, which includes the D.C. area and a suburb of Boston.........A strange phenomenon I have observed is that on average, from all the people that I have met, people here seem unable to talk about anything other than the weather, the outdoors, how much they are looking forward to their me time.......
How would you compare Boulder's friendliness to other Colorado towns with a strong focus on the environment and outdoors, such as Durango, Frisco/Brekenridge, or Ft. Collins?

Quote:
If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have moved here....
For what reasons, specifically? Where would you prefer to be, if anywhere, in the state of Colorado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, there are indie stores in Bldr, but not so many of the "Mom and Pop" type places you might be hoping for. You know, the kind that will let you bring your money back later if you've forgetten your wallet, etc. Boulder's not that kind of a town.
In regards to the percentage of mom and pop stores, how would you compare Boulder to other Colorado towns of a similar size focused on the environment and outdoors, such as Ft. Collins and Durango?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
How would you compare Boulder's friendliness to other Colorado towns with a strong focus on the environment and outdoors, such as Durango, Frisco/Brekenridge, or Ft. Collins?

I don't know anything about any other towns in Colorado, simply because I haven't lived there. I only know about Boulder from my experience of living here and interacting or not interacting with people here in town.

For what reasons, specifically? Where would you prefer to be, if anywhere, in the state of Colorado?
I really don't like the West as compared to my experiences in the East. Way too dry, way too dusty, way too hot in the summer, and my health has taken a real nose dive since moving here. The health issue alone is reason enough for me to return to the East. I don't think anywhere in Colorado would be any different with regard to the health issues. Every time I go back East I feel better. Simple as that.

Yeah, the scenery is lovely, but I don't care about the scenery more than I care about people and interacting with them. I long for "normal" people, that can talk about just about anything without an air of knowing everthing because they took a few yoga classes and have new age bumper stickers on their cars.

When I first arrived in Boulder my son was in middle school and made a lot of friends. Every single time a parent dropped off their kids at our house they never came in to introduce themselves, and when it was time to pick up their kids they waited in our driveway and called their kid(s) on their cellphone to come outside. Never came inside, not once.

This would never happen where I came from.

Last edited by seethelight; 06-15-2009 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post

In regards to the percentage of mom and pop stores, how would you compare Boulder to other Colorado towns of a similar size focused on the environment and outdoors, such as Ft. Collins and Durango?
I haven't spent enough time in either Durango or Ft. Fun to make a comparison.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM

857 posts, read 1,732,688 times
Quote:
Yeah, the scenery is lovely, but I don't care about the scenery more than I care about people and interacting with them. I long for "normal" people, that can talk about just about anything without an air of knowing everthing because they took a few yoga classes and have new age bumper stickers on their cars.
Well, back in seattle there is LESS of a connection between Political Progressivism, along with eastern concepts such as Yoga and The New Age.
And, furthermore, in Seattle you can be a Progressive, but still be a Republican or Libertarian.

Quote:
When I first arrived in Boulder my son was in middle school and made a lot of friends. Every single time a parent dropped off their kids at our house they never came in to introduce themselves, and when it was time to pick up their kids they waited in our driveway and called their kid(s) on their cellphone to come outside. Never came inside, not once. This would never happen where I came from.
Very interesting. That would never happen back in Seattle and the Willamette Valley in Oregon, either -- where I came from...

Old 08-02-2009, 05:02 AM

33 posts, read 103,176 times
Boulder is not friendly.
Are into the environment because open space plans have driven up the cost of homes-but few make the real sacrafices-especially if it means spending the money or it going in their back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area