Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,512,766 times

Advertisements

Other than the ski resorts, Boulder is the most expensive town in Colorado...still cheap if you're comparing it to LA or New York but not compared to most places. 500K sounds about average for a house in Boulder and even then your talking an average older ranch house. If you're willing to consider Denver or suburbs it would be half that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Other than the ski resorts, Boulder is the most expensive town in Colorado...still cheap if you're comparing it to LA or New York but not compared to most places. 500K sounds about average for a house in Boulder and even then your talking an average older ranch house. If you're willing to consider Denver or suburbs it would be half that much.
Uh, I don't think so. Denver itself has some expensive properties, also some very inexpensive (as in cheap). For the same house, prices in Boulder are not all *that* much higher than other places in the metro area. You won't find a lot of new housing like you will in say, Brighton, SE Aurora, places like that mostly to the east of Denver. Some neighborhoods right near the mtns (e.g. Chautauqua) command prices far beyond their actual value as a house (IMO) for location, location, location. I would take a look at that link that WiW posted.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:15 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,816,382 times
Most expensive city on the front range?....other notable areas Hilltop, Cherry Creek North, Country Club..Boulder has some of the highest average price per square foot..just not the most expensive period though..Denver's highest zip neighborhoods are often adjacent to lower priced areas bringing neighborhood averages down.

Cherry Hills Village would be the front ranges highest prices..where else outside Aspen, Vail do
you find 15 million dollar houses?

https://www.city-data.com/city/Cherry...-Colorado.html

Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 AM

90 posts, read 262,744 times
I just returned from a CO RE scouting trip and YES Boulder is expensive. Homes in the 300 range are not nice at all and would need a lot of work. Forget about getting a single in that price range unless you are a handy type.
Condo living or townhouse is your best bet but you'll quickly get into higher numbers depending on age, location, etc.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 AM

724 posts, read 1,935,096 times
I'm wondering if buying a townhouse or a condo is the best way for a family to get a foothold into the Boulder market. Do they have good resale value? Do they move well when you want to sell? I would consider a townhouse in Boulder, whereas I would never, ever look twice at one outside of a very desirable area (like Boulder proper). Thoughts?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
I'm wondering if buying a townhouse or a condo is the best way for a family to get a foothold into the Boulder market. Do they have good resale value? Do they move well when you want to sell? I would consider a townhouse in Boulder, whereas I would never, ever look twice at one outside of a very desirable area (like Boulder proper). Thoughts?
Real estate in Boulder generally is a no brainer; I have bought multiple condos in Boulder and one town house over the years. Every time I have gone to sell; I made money and without a long period of days on market. I am like you I would rather live smaller in a highly desirable area than purchasing a large house in a less non descript hood. Buying a lower priced property in an expensive area is real estate 101 when it comes to
positive financial return. This is a fantastic time to buy a condo or TH in Boulder. When the market returns you might even hold on to your property and rent it out..great rental possiblity as well. I bought one condo in 1990 during the last recession, and later sold it for a 110k profit in 1997.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Most expensive city on the front range?....other notable areas Hilltop, Cherry Creek North, Country Club..Boulder has some of the highest average price per square foot..just not the most expensive period though..Denver's highest zip neighborhoods are often adjacent to lower priced areas bringing neighborhood averages down.

Cherry Hills Village would be the front ranges highest prices..where else outside Aspen, Vail do
you find 15 million dollar houses?

https://www.city-data.com/city/Cherry...-Colorado.html
I'm not talking about suburbs of Denver. I'm talking about real cities and towns. Sure there are expensive neighborhoods in Denver just like any city but the AVERAGE price for a house in Denver is not close to $500K like it is in Boulder. And you aren't going to find even a crappy 1200 sq. ft ranch house in Martin Acres for much under 400K.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about suburbs of Denver. I'm talking about real cities and towns. Sure there are expensive neighborhoods in Denver just like any city but the AVERAGE price for a house in Denver is not close to $500K like it is in Boulder. And you aren't going to find even a crappy 1200 sq. ft ranch house in Martin Acres for much under 400K.
I have lived on and off in Denver for over fourty years..Cherry Hills Village is a real city.. I have many former friends from Boulder move there when they became financially successful..actually Cherry Hills has higher averages than most of Southern California by far..Find a place for under 500k in Cherry HILLS, more like find a house for under 950k and that's a tear down....Cherry Hills and Boulder are not real comparisons..Aspen and Cherry Hills are.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Hilltop, Cherry Creek and Country Club are neighborhoods in Denver, not suburbs. The term "Cherry Creek" gets confusing b/c there is the Cherry Creek School District outside the city, also, as someone else noted, Cherry Hills Village.

Hilltop, Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cherry Creek, Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Country Club, Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course the average price in Denver is lower. Denver has a lot of lower-priced housing. Boulder does not. House for house, you'll pay about as much in Denver as in Boulder, in some cases such as the above 'hoods, Wash Park East and a few others, maybe more.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hilltop, Cherry Creek and Country Club are neighborhoods in Denver, not suburbs. The term "Cherry Creek" gets confusing b/c there is the Cherry Creek School District outside the city, also, as someone else noted, Cherry Hills Village.

Hilltop, Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cherry Creek, Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Country Club, Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course the average price in Denver is lower. Denver has a lot of lower-priced housing. Boulder does not. House for house, you'll pay about as much in Denver as in Boulder, in some cases such as the above 'hoods, Wash Park East and a few others, maybe more.
Those are all basically neighborhoods that are indistinguishable from Denver. According to your links, Hilltop is a "neighborhood" in Denver, County Club is a "neighborhood" in Denver and has 380 houses, and Cherry Creek is a "neighborhood" in Denver. Cherry Hills Village is a "home ruled municipality" with a population of 5,958. I wouldn't classify any of those as "cities" and I wouldn't compare them to Boulder with a population of 94,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area