Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 23,191 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Planning our escape from NJ in 2013 and have been doing a lot of research on the Boulder area. I've read a lot of comments on here regarding high cost of living, but it seems like that is focused greatly on real estate (ownership or rental). Aside from that (which I appreciate is significant) are there other budget elements that we should be prepared for or thinking about? Can't imagine taxes, and other general living expenses being higher than NJ! Anyone have experience moving from NJ (NYC area) to Boulder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetoutanj View Post
Hi there. Planning our escape from NJ in 2013 and have been doing a lot of research on the Boulder area. I've read a lot of comments on here regarding high cost of living, but it seems like that is focused greatly on real estate (ownership or rental). Aside from that (which I appreciate is significant) are there other budget elements that we should be prepared for or thinking about? Can't imagine taxes, and other general living expenses being higher than NJ! Anyone have experience moving from NJ (NYC area) to Boulder?
COLO taxes should be way less, maybe by half, of what you're paying in NJ.

Housing in Boulder proper is high, but surrounding towns are a lot more affordable, depends on your budget and income.

We advise renting a year to learn the area; find rentals on padmapper.com and if it takes you to a craigslist page, read and heed the scam warnings on craigslist rental ads...if it seems to good to be true...it the owner is out of the country...those are dead giveaways that it's a scammer.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:12 PM

19 posts, read 63,140 times
We just recently moved out from NJ (in late March) and are in the house hunt and temporarily renting market.

Coming from Monmouth, the taxes here look to be significantly less depending on area and acreage. Worst case we have looked at so far would be about half, but we could easily find something a third or less. That said, we are also looking in more rural areas mostly west of urban Boulder.

Cost of living seems average, though we recently moved out to Ned and things at the local market are a bit on the pricy side (think thats the tourist and remote location markup at play).

Meats and groceries for the most part seem more affordable in town (at the Whole Foods even - which we called Whole Paycheck at home). Protein variety is better here too.

People are friendlier and more seem a bit sensitive to what NJ people seem to take as goofing around. Being more respectful here seems to go much further.

Gas is slightly higher.

Housing market currently seems somewhat tight. Properties are moving this spring, pretty quickly in some cases, though stagnant in others. We have found most homes that have been on the market for awhile usually have one or more issues that explain that. Has a feel of an upturn, though I am sure its possible the election year party bickering may help quash that a bit. Prices seem to depend mostly on proximity to downtown Boulder, notching up as you get closer.

Internet is definitely slower, especially if you are used to having Verizon FIOS. But there is still tolerable access in pretty remote areas. Main options are Comcast (Xifinity), Quest / CenturyLink DSL (which has decent speeds depending on location), Skystream or other wireless (good speeds but most packages look like they come with bandwidth caps and there is satellite latency on the uplink), or local co-ops (some of which, like NedNet seem to offer surprisingly good access (one home we were in had 10 / 10). Options and available speeds vary by location. At the moment we are on 7 / .8 DSL and are at 8600 feet a few minutes outside of Nederland. Overall it seems ok since for the most part FIOS has us spoiled in NJ.

Would probably be careful on the rental market, especially remotely. The route we have gone has been VRBO's until we decide longer term. Benefits are shorter term arrangements, furnished, and bundled utilities. Might serve as a good landing spot here and the base to look for something better in person. Tend to be good details and reviews on the vrbo websites while generally the owners will come off their quoted monthly rates if they have blocks open.

Happy to answer any specific q's.

HTH

Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koofka View Post
The route we have gone has been VRBO's until we decide longer term. Benefits are shorter term arrangements, furnished, and bundled utilities. Might serve as a good landing spot here and the base to look for something better in person. Tend to be good details and reviews on the vrbo websites while generally the owners will come off their quoted monthly rates if they have blocks open.

Happy to answer any specific q's.

HTH
Never thought of that before for housing, what a great idea!

As for housing prices in Boulder being higher, that's on a case by case basis. Some parts of town are over-priced, IMO, compared to what you could find in a nearby town, or in some of the Denver suburbs. However, some areas are quite reasonable and no more expensive than comparable housing elsewhere.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,618 times
VRBO's? I'm guessing that's either short term or business housing?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
VRBO's? I'm guessing that's either short term or business housing?
"Vacation rentals by owner". Several websites out there, but the primary one we have used is VRBO.com. Also did a bit on Airbnb.com.

Generally shorter term, but we have found that owners will do multi month deals and are fairly flexible.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM

724 posts, read 1,933,618 times
thanks!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 PM

49 posts, read 175,274 times
We moved here from South Jersey last summer. (not Jersey shore south Jersey) Ocean City area. We were used to superinflated real estate prices, you know $500k for a run down shack that someone would buy to tear down and build a mcmansion. So our experience has been great! Property taxes are literally 1/3 of what I was paying in NJ. We bought just outside of Boulder proper near the reservoir and you get a lot of house and land for your money out here.

Its true what the other poster said about sarcasm. People don't know what that is here. When you make sarcastic comments you are just looked at with a wierd expression. But everyone we have encountered is rediculously friendly. To the point of being jarring at first. When you check out at the grocery store the cashier always says "so how is your day going so far?" They say it completely sincere with a huge smile.

The outdoor recreation possiblilities are endless. I have been on a ton of hikes and bike rides since we moved here and am still always finding new trails.

I guess the groceries are comparable but I think the quality of food is better out here. Maybe the same as north Jersey but south Jersey there were some gross looking produce dept's certain times of the year. Grocers have to compete with all the organic markets here so they keep their stuff looking nice.

My friends have been asking me if I am coming home for a visit to NJ this summer and I think to myself, eww why on earth would I want to go back there.

Good luck

Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofjerz View Post
My friends have been asking me if I am coming home for a visit to NJ this summer and I think to myself, eww why on earth would I want to go back there.
Couldn't of put it better

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 23,191 times
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Confirms a lot of what we've been thinking. Relatively high real estate, but compared to NJ, the other big ticket items will provide some budget relief. Not to mention...I can't wait to see smiles and sun as I go about my day versus, pushy crowds, smelly subways and rude people. 2013 can't get here soon enough!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area