Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 PM

42 posts, read 150,797 times

Advertisements

It is not necessary to have flood and hurricane insurance throughout the state. I live in North Weymouth and do not have flood insurance. Some areas/houses are required to have it based on some map the insurance companies have or something like that. I can see the water from my dining room window and yet not required to have it. The water is about 8 - 10 houses away, but there is a big drop to it at the end of the dead end street. Where I am, even though we are close to water, we are high above sea level. I don't know the specifics, but it does have something to do with how close to sea level you are. You can get opt to purchase it if you aren't required to have it - but it's just an extra expense (unless you are really concerned about flooding).

I didn't read every post in this thread - but property taxes do vary greatly from town to town here. Not sure if that's the norm in the Chicago area. Just something to keep in mind.

Even though I'm a Weymouther - I do like Quincy a lot. I think it's a very underrated city. I'm personally a fan of the Wollaston area - but since I've never actually lived in Quincy, I can't really comment too much. There is a red line stop there that is only about a 15 minute T ride to South Station.

I have family in West Roxbury. The VFW Parkway can be brutal during rush hours - but honestly - most roads and highways in the Boston area are horrible during rush hours. It's really a gorgeous area. Beautiful houses and low crime. Most of the roads off Centre St. have great houses - and it's a good little "downtown" area to walk around. The Commuter Rail has a station there.

If you want an efficient train ride to work, I'd def. consider Quincy over West Roxbury or Dedham. I like all three of those places though - so if you pick one of them, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 10:03 AM

94 posts, read 257,620 times
Though my partner has the job near So. Station, how would a Quincy commute be if I were to find a position with a firm along the north corridor?

As for taxes, I would presume the wealthier the suburb (Newton) the higher the property tax vs, say, WR, Dedham or Quincy. Similar as Chicago suburbs Lake Forest vs Arlington Heights vs Park Ridge (or my modest 'hood).

Based on the community demographics, there seems to be a rather significant Asian community. How has that impacted Quincy, good or bad? Is there a downside owning property near the coast?

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses.
(and yes, I will be looking for work just as soon as this home thing is settled!)

Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 PM

10 posts, read 28,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyho View Post
As for taxes, I would presume the wealthier the suburb (Newton) the higher the property tax vs, say, WR, Dedham or Quincy.
Though I don't know what Quincy's or Dedham's tax rates are, I wouldn't automatically assume this. When we were looking at towns, we were surprised to find that tax rates varied hugely, but not necessarily in correlation to "wealth." Newton's residential tax rate is a bit under 1% which was below average for the towns we were researching. Sharon's tax rate is 1.8%, and Sherborn was...I think...1.4%. Some towns charge higher taxes because they don't have a strong commercial base so the residents bear the almost the entirety of the tax burden.

Good luck in your town hunt!

Old 09-19-2009, 07:29 PM

4 posts, read 24,294 times
Default Chicago is Great--New England Will Grow On You

Hello and Welcome to New England-

I am also a transplant from the great city of Chicago. Lived in Wrigleyville and grew up in NW suburbs. Went to school in Hyde Park. Moved to Boston for a new job and thought I'd stay two years. Twelve years later, I am still here.

New England's charm will grow on you--but it sometimes takes time. Unlike Chicago, friendships can also take a while to develop. But once formed, they are very genuine. The advice provided above by others makes good sense. Renting for a year can make sense. Consider renting in a city connected to Boston by the commuter rail or "T"--thats our "EL". That would include Somerville, Arlington, Medford. Rents are more reasonable, and you will have ready access to Boston without the cost. Also, you get more bang for your buck. Craigslist is a good place to start.

Autumn in New England is breathtaking. If you are an outdoorsy type, New England is just about the best place to live. You have it all within two hours--the Cape, the mountains, lakes, and the Berkshires. Hope to stay in touch.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 AM

Thank you for the note(s) and the encouragement. : )

As I understand it, the company moving package requires us to have a move complete within 1 year. I'm not sure that 2 household moves is something I can stomach.

At this time, we are focusing on West Roxbury, with other communities noted earlier. We only have to be patient that, like the 3 Bears, the right dwelling comes along: not too big, not too small, gas heating & gas stove & duct work (for the chef in the house!) and other personal needs--just right.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Hello Folks!

I've returned from my community visit of greater Boston with it's rabbit warren of streets, lighting challenged highways, schizophrenic street signage, and lovely landscape.

My partner and I drove around a number of places. I very much like Melrose, pretty little New England center and mostly affordable housing, though a bit further than we prefer.

Milton was ok, too. But seemed to cater to that nuclear family thing.

Never found a center to Dedham other than mall land. I took an immediate dislike to Qunicy--it seemed needlessly grubby and fastfood franchises everywhere.

We both very much liked West Roxbury and hope to fine a home that meets our criteria. Thanks to all who suggested the neighborhood!

To whoever suggested that VFW Parkway wasn't especially 'busy', you were joking, right? Playoff game, Sunday, and there seemed to be mucho traffic. (We visited an open house, stood in the backyard, and whoosh, whoosh, whoosh. Not exactly a relaxing area to sip a beer or glass of wine....)

When asked about flooding and water in basements, the same realtor stated, that EVERYONE in New England takes in water. True?

Cheers!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Default Parkway traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyho View Post
To whoever suggested that VFW Parkway wasn't especially 'busy', you were joking, right?
Heyho, that was me. I was going on about the W Roxbury Parkway but, for some reason, didn't realize that you must have been asking about the VFW Parkway!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:21 PM

You are forgiven. As for me, I, of course, had no concept how many 'parkways' there is actually!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston