Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 PM

539 posts, read 1,924,395 times

Advertisements

I mentioned it briefly in another thread, but I was talking to a guy today who said he could more than likely have a job lined up for me working for the federal government in Boston (I'm in grad school in Chicago now). What I want to know is, what is Boston like for a guy like me? I'm a 23 year old black man who's about to move into the professional world so I'd like to live in a neighborhood with other young professionals, preferably black ones though I certainly don't mind living in a white community, as long as it's racially tolerant.

I'm in a relationship right now, it's fairly serious, really don't know if my girl would come with me or not but there's at least a 50/50 chance that she would. With that being said, how is Boston for young, professional blacks? I've been to Boston once but didn't spend enough time there to really gauge the city.

It seems to be a fairly liberal city (good for the two of us because we're not religious, being originally from Alabama I know what it's like to be non-religious and live in the heart of the Bible Belt, it's not fun). But at the same time I know that Catholic Church still has a large prescence in the city.

I also think it's interesting that Massachusetts elected a black governor last year though I'm not sure how much that reflects on Boston and its attitudes towards minorities, especially blacks. Most black people I know tell me that Boston is no place for blacks and that I should stay the hell away from that city, but I politely remind them that I'm from Birmingham, Alabama, and that there's no way Massachusetts could be more racist than Alabama. I'm sure racism exists there, but seriously. I'm from ALABAMA, I grew up passing by 16th Street Baptist church (where four girls were killed in a church bombing) and Kelly Ingram Park (where the infamous photos showing police unleashing dogs on civil rights protesters was taken). It really is nothing new, i'm not intimidated by it though I would like to know what are the not-so-friendly neighborhoods for black people, if there are any.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
hey, I just did the reverse, I moved from Boston to Chicago a few months ago! I'm a 23yo black female and lived in Boston my whole life and never felt any hostile racism of the kind that once plagued Alabama. South Boston is still pretty Irish and some people there can be racist (I personally never considered living there. I guess it would be similar to Bridgeport in Chicago), but parts of it are rapidly gentrifying, so it's losing a bit of that. the church is losing it's hold in Boston after all the sex scandals, and it's perfectly possible to not be Catholic/religious and live in the city (except for maybe in Southie). really, Southie is the only neighborhood I can think of for you to avoid

as typical in most cities, neighborhoods mostly populated by blacks tend to be more dangerous, but there are some nice areas you could fit in. Roxbury, parts of Dorchester, JP and Hyde Park, and Mattapan are typically considered black neighborhoods. I'd say Mission Hill (it's on the border line of Roxbury and JP), JP, and Roxbury are all good places o live for young professionals. the Fort Hill area in Roxbury is very artsy and is within walking distance of Dudley Sq., which is populated by many black owned businesses. Mission Hill is very close to Northeastern, hospitals, and some museums and has a nice mix of people living there (though lots of undergrads). there's also Cambridge and Somerville to consider.

I REALLY wouldn't be to worried about racism in Boston. Racially motivated crimes aren't common at all (it's mostly gang related crime in Boston). honestly, I've only been in Chicago for a few months, and it already seems like Boston is more racially integrated than Chicago is

Old 10-09-2007, 07:55 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
I would not worry about racism... most people here worry about cost of living... Salary sounds high... however, it does not go too far as rent, car insurance, utility, ... are very high. Once you get over that $$$ hump... you'll love Boston.

I think you should ask eevee why she decided to go to Chicago.

By the way, our Governor went to Harvard Law School... may be you should ask him how many black faculties there.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice eevee (and I welcome anyone else's input as well). I've heard about white people, particularly Irish people, in Boston being racist. If "Southie" is anything like Bridgeport in Chicago I will avoid it like the plague. The stories I've heard out of Bridgeport are almost as bad as the **** that still goes on in rural Alabama or other parts of the Deep South. Almost. I know anecdotal evidence is sketchy but being from the South I know racism is alive and well and i've endured more than my fair share of it, and prefer to just avoid it and any associated violence with it if at all possible.

I think it's interesting how in the South, where I'm from, we have "sundown towns" (when the sun goes down, ****** your black ass better not be around is the motto of these towns) but in many large northern cities you have urban communities that are basically the same way. The only difference seems to be that up North, these communities tend to be urban and in the South they're usually rural. Anyway, thanks a lot for the heads-up about Southie.

If this goes through, I'd be working for the federal government's office in Cambridge, in the MIT area. So I'd prefer a place that has good public transit access. I've gotten used to taking public transit in Chicago, as I live in Hyde Park and before that, lived in Bronzeville. I used the Green Line of the L in Bronzeville and currently use Metra in Hyde Park. I know Boston has the "T", does it serve the communties you're talking about eevee? I'm almost sure that the Cambridge/MIT area would have a stop, it seems like it would be a major destination for those traveling in the Boston area.

Also good to hear that being non-religious won't be too much of an issue, I mean Catholicism is about as religious as a religion can get and Boston does have a lot of Catholics from what I understand. Even in Chicago many people will look at you a little funny if you say you don't go to church or participate in organized religion (Chicago is, after all, in the Midwest).

Also, as far as the black communties go, I'd like to live in an area that's not "ghetto" per se, but on the other hand, I'm not afraid of my people either. I've lived in tough neighborhoods before and I could stand a little bit more "urban life" if you will than the typical sheltered, white suburbanite. How do those black neighborhoods you mentioned in Boston compare to places on the South Side of Chicago, for example Bronzeville, where I used to live? Or are these places more like Hyde Park? Or are they not like the South Side at all but rather more like North Side neighborhoods that have a sprinking of black folks as well as everybody else (think Rogers Park, Uptown, or even Evanston)?

@ smarty:

This job would pay well though i couldn't even give you a ballpark figure as far as what my budget would be at this point in time. If I do get an idea, I'll post it up here but yes I'd like to keep things as cheap as possible while still enjoying a decent quality of life. What's typical for a 2-bedroom apartment (think at least 600 sq. ft) in a decent neighborhood in Boston, perhaps the places eevee mentioned? I'd submise it would be something like $1000-1200/month, is that right or can I expect to pay more and if so, how much more?

EDIT: By the way one more thing I forgot to ask: how is the climate overall in Boston? In Chicago, especially compared to the Deep South, I find the winters to be cold and the summers to be mild. Is Boston the same way? I'm really hoping that Boston has pleasant summers (I'd love it if temps stayed in the 70s and 80s all summer long), it would make it even a brutal winter tolerable (though I don't mind cold winters at all, it's better than it being 80 degrees and having to use A/C in January). Does Boston get a lot of snow compared to Chicago? What about the temperatures, is below zero weather and strong winds as common in the winter as it is in Chicago? Does the city do a good job of plowing the streets, etc?

_

Last edited by AQUEMINI331; 10-09-2007 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 03:41 PM

110 posts, read 440,174 times
If you're working in Cambridge, why not live in Cambridge? Central Sq. is a walk away from where you will be working. It's a really diverse neighborhood with a lot of bars, restaurants and shops. I lived there for a year and thought it was the most diverse place in Cambridge. You're also a short walk to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I liked it because you're about dead in the middle from Harvard Sq., the Charles River and Kendall Sq. The redline stops at Central and is only 2 stops from downtown Boston.

You could also look in Inman Sq. and Cambridge Port. Both a short hop to Central Sq.

Good luck

Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
@ smarty:

This job would pay well though i couldn't even give you a ballpark figure as far as what my budget would be at this point in time. If I do get an idea, I'll post it up here but yes I'd like to keep things as cheap as possible while still enjoying a decent quality of life. What's typical for a 2-bedroom apartment (think at least 600 sq. ft) in a decent neighborhood in Boston, perhaps the places eevee mentioned? I'd submise it would be something like $1000-1200/month, is that right or can I expect to pay more and if so, how much more?

I'm glad you got a great job.

The price you mentioned are mostly for 1-bedroom apartment. 2 bed starts around $1400 (depending on condition/size/location). Check craigslist for price and pictures. In additional, gas/electric/water utilities ($100-250/month). Then phone/cable/Internet ($100).
boston craigslist > boston/camb/brook > all no fee apts: search

There is not a lot of snow in Boston(~45 in). The temperature is not that cold either (compare to Chicago). The problem is mostly ice due to half melted snow when the sun comes out and freezes before it fully melted.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you got a great job.

Oh, none of this set in stone yet. It's just that I don't have the money to fly out to Boston and check out the city, that's why I post this question on this forum, it may help me sort out some things before I make that trip. I got another job offer in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis / St. Paul) and posted a similar question in the Minnesota forum, because I can't make it out-of-town on a whim right now. Any money I save for a plane ticket is for a non-stop flight from O'Hare back to Birmingham, I try to go home at least two or three times a year now.

With that being said, I do think that I might be able to fly out there sometime around January, February, or March, when plane tickets are cheaper (because who wants to go to New England in the winter? Except for me of course).

I'm just saying, I know that if I do get the job, it will be at this place in Cambridge. Someone asked why didn't I look at Cambridge as a place to live, well I figure that any place that's home to schools like Harvard and MIT must be expensive as all hell. If I can get a better deal in places like Roxbury or Jamaica Plain then I'll do it, and then move up to the nicer neighborhoods once I get settled into the city. I did that in Chicago - first I lived in Bronzeville, which was very much a "transitioning" neighborhood when I moved there over a year ago, and now it's poised to become the hottest thing in Chicago since Michael Jordan in about five years. Now I live in Hyde Park, a diverse, cosmopolitan neighborhood home to one of the world's top universities, the University of Chicago. I love the neighborhood and the city as a whole, but I would be willing to accept a change and leave Chicago.

Anywho.............the reason I asked about a 2 bedroom is because even if i'm by myself, i'd like to have an extra bedroom in order to entertain guests, mostly family. I'm still a southerner you know, and in the South people are taught that guests coming into town shouldn't have to stay in a hotel unless they absolutely have to, you should have some kind of accomdation for family should they choose to visit. Your home should always be open and welcome to loved ones, so i always keep that in mind. If I moved to Boston, my closest relatives would be in New York. I wouldn't have any doubt that my family in New York would hop in the car and fly up I-95 to come see me should I move to Beantown. But I digress.

As for the snow thing, that's cool. I think Chicago gets like 30" of snow a year, but hey. At least it's not like moving to upstate New York where they get over 100" inches of snow a year (and even then, I'd move to upstate NY if there was a good opportunity out there, it's a beautiful place).

Quote:
The price you mentioned are mostly for 1-bedroom apartment. 2 bed starts around $1400 (depending on condition/size/location). Check craigslist for price and pictures. In additional, gas/electric/water utilities ($100-250/month). Then phone/cable/Internet ($100).

$1400 + $250 + $100 = $1750 for a 2-bedroom.......hmmm, Boston is a bit pricer than what I thought. I can't believe I'm seriously contemplating spending well over $1500/month for renting a 2-bedroom apartment. In Alabama you could get a 2-bedroom apartment on top of the mountain with a clear view of the city and the valley for maybe $800/month. Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to snag it for like $650. Chicago was, needless to say, shockingly expensive for me when I first moved to the city, as I lived in a borderline ghetto neighborhood and paid a price that would've gotten me into a luxury apartment on a lake somewhere back in Alabama. But the costs of living in a large, cosmopolitan city like Boston or Chicago is worth it, I suppose.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
If you're going to be working near MIT, then you want to be on the red line, which basically excludes JP, Roxbury, and Mission Hill (unless you ok w/ a longer commute, then you could live near the orange or green line then transfer at Downtown or Park St. these transfers are free BTW). technically, you could live in some parts of Roxbury and commute to MIT via the #1 bus out of Dudley Sq., but that commute would be hell on earth (the #1 goes right down Mass. Ave, which is frequently clogged with lots of traffic). Dorchester is doable in many areas since it's primarily served by the red line. a very quick rundown of Dorchester neighborhoods close to the red line (and by close, I usually mean w/in walking or at least a very quick bus ride. there are parts of Dottie only serviced by infrequent buses):

Fields Corner: pretty iffy in terms of crime. mostly Asian and black. the parts off of Dot. Ave (Dorchester Avenue) tend to be a bit better

Codman Sq. (near Shawmut T stop): bad area, nuff said. the main strip does have some new business, but the area as a whole is still plagued w/ crime

Ashmont Hill: if you can afford to live here, go for it! it's pretty pricey in areas though, and it'd mostly SFHs (though I seem to recall some new construction going on there). the one minor caveat: the Ashmont T stop has been shut down for renovations (can't remember when they said it would be reopened)

Savin Hill: pretty yuppy now, the areas right near the T stop is pretty nice.

Harborpoint: this is the area near Castle Island, UMass Boston, and the JFK museum. it's quite nice in some parts, and the commute would be great because the JFK stop is the stop where both red line branches meet, so trains out of that station runs more often.

you could also try Quincy and Braintree, which are small towns south of Boston and serviced by the red line too.

Cambrige and Somerville actually aren't that expensive. the areas right around Harvard and MIT are obviously pretty pricey, but Cambridge is pretty big, and pockets of low cost housing do exist. Cambridge is also very, very diverse, so you should feel fine living there. if you don't mind a quick bus ride to the train, then you can also consider Somerville and Medford. from what I can remember, the area of Cambridge near the Lechmere T stop, Somerville borderline, and the mall (Cambridgeport? the name escapes me at this moment) was fairly inexpensive w/ quick commute to the Kendall Sq. area, but this area is being renovated and condos are going up, so this may not be the case anymore. Central Sq. is also great, but not sure of the price range

Old 10-14-2007, 07:45 AM

34 posts, read 153,436 times
Parts of Cambridge aren't bad at all. For instance, my family owns a 3 family house about 5 blocks walking distance away from the Cambridge Side Galleria Mall (T - Green line - Lechmere, 15 minute walk to Kendall MIT (Red line)). Our 2 bedroom rents for about $1150, though its not huge, its certainly not tiny either. (My family used to live in one of them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston