Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 15,862 times

Advertisements

Newton, Wellsley if you want a yard and a small home, take the train to South Station and you'll be happy.

Cambridge is my personal favorite, but you probably won't have a yard, Red line (subway or T) access to south station is excellent, convenient and dependable.

Hingham, South Boston...perhaps...Quincy...maybe, but I'd try the above first. I'm a fan of North ans West of the city, not a huge fan of south of town.

You really need to see the area and decide what's best for your situation. Understand that the area is old (US standards) and thus there is not a ton of room, new construction and the streets will drive you nuts. "you can't get there form here" is a legit answer here

Enjoy and good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 AM

94 posts, read 257,620 times
p.s.

Despite the Chicago loop tax and another Cook County hike, our taxes are relatively low compared to some suburbs. Evanston taxes, for example, go to support Northwestern University. It's nearly double...

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM

7 posts, read 15,862 times
this thread may help as well

https://www.city-data.com/forum/massa...direction.html

Old 08-31-2009, 10:20 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Default Newton?

I don't get why you'd recommend Newton or Wellesley to someone who lives in a modest house in a modest neighborhood in the city of Chicago. Wellesley is more like Winnetka. For starters, I'd say look along the Needham Heights branch of the commuter rail. Forest Hills has the Woodbourne neighborhood which people seem to like a lot. Roslindale is diverse and affordable, and its shopping area doesn't even stink. The 3 stops in West Roxbury are in good middle class neighborhoods, but not so diverse. These are all within the city of Boston--lots of kids, lunchbucket Democrats, parochial schools, people doing their own yard work. Once you get into Needham it gets much more expensive. Roslindale is adjacent to the beautiful Arnold Arboretum (a free-access city park that's run by Harvard Univ). West Roxbury and Roslindale are both close to Stony Brook Reservation which is basically woods and trails.

The Fairmount branch takes you through western Dorchester--not so good--and into the Hyde Park section, which is mixed, decent, and affordable. The red line subway and connecting Mattapan trolley goes through eastern Dorchester through varying neighborhoods, some very gay friendly, with a wild variety of houses and housing; the other branch of the red line goes into Quincy which you might like.

Anyway, there are plenty of comparable areas in Boston and adjacent towns.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks for all the insight.

An interesting trend in Chicago is that young singles dig the trendy areas: Wicker Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Bucktown. But once they choose to get married, raise a family, etc. rationalize either 1). suburbs for da kiddies sake or 2). farther edges of city in order to remain city. Unless they are earning LOADS of money.

Yes, traders and skilled white collar live in my corner of Chicago, but it is mixed with house proud working blue collar. Slowly, those young hipsters are entering the bungalow belt... the mix is pleasant.

That said, there is always those 'friends' that can't be bothered with going west of Western Avenue. Not much of a friend there, in the end.

Keep the suggestions coming! Many thanks!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:23 PM

Just discovered there is a granite quarry with West Roxbury. Sounds like it might be a no-go with dust and blasting.

What other surprises are out there that realtors don't want you to know of?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
I've never heard anything about granite blasting in West Roxbury. You're right about there being a quarry there, next to the Roxbury Latin School, but I wouldn't for a moment let it deter you from looking in that district if it sounds at all interesting to you. Not to say there couldn't be an issue, but in many years of familiarity with the area and people living that's something I've never head anything about. I'm guessing the quarry is inactive or whatever goes on there doesn't create a nuisance.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
That quarry has been there forever. I've never heard of any complaints either. Don't let that deter you from West Roxbury, at all.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:02 AM

Apparently, it's been an a going problem with residents with ongoing lawsuits. If and when it ever closes, it could become the next super-fund site. Perhaps a few miles away, it could be acceptable. See:

Flying granite from West Roxbury quarry attacks Centre Lane home - Roslindale, MA - West Roxbury Transcript

W. Roxbury quarry gives area the shakes | Article from The Boston Globe | HighBeam Research

'Tween a rock and a loud place - The Boston Globe

Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
We have a sand and gravel operation in the town I live in (not a quarry, they truck in the stone). Yes, if you drive down that road it's dusty and the machinery makes a lot of noise. But at most, it only affects a couple of streets, otherwise you wouldn't realize it was there. There are lots of nice areas in West Roxbury that I'm sure you'd be happy living in. The suggestion of Roslindale is a good once as well, it just has a bit higher crime rate than West Roxbury. You'd get more house for your money, though. Take a look at the area on google street view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston