Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,643 times

Advertisements

After 13 years living in a major European capital, it looks like I will soon have a job offer just south of Lowell. I previously lived 17 years in Washington DC and Montgomery County Maryland. I am divorced, in early 50's, but live a much younger life style, and like to do outdoor activities (biking, running, skiing, etc). I have a son that may be in university in Boston area next year, and a 14 year old son that just lived with me for 2 years going to an international school but is currently back in Maryland about to start high school, due in part to my possible job move. I currently live in "green area" and not in city center (but only 15-20 minutes from center with car or public transport). I'm really not interested in a single family house in a suburb, so I am thinking of living in Cambridge or other area close-in to Boston with social activities, nightlife, etc. and reverse commute out Route 3. I'd prefer to keep my auto commute to 30-35 minutes. I'm probably also going to be traveling a lot for business, especially international travel. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,654 times
Cambridge, Somerville or Boston itself would be good options.

In Cambridge look into Porter Square
Somerville Davis and Porter Square

Both cities would allow for access by car or public transport to Logan Airport when you are heading out of town.

As far as the commute to Lowell is concerned according to Google Maps it would take about 30-35 minutes via car. With that being said I personally live downtown and do not drive so as far as traffic is concerned maybe someone else could expand on that.

Boston would add a few extra minutes to your commute but if you want to live in the city itself look into Beacon Hill and Back Bay because they offer good access to the Charles River Esplanade for your outdoor activities.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:57 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,476 times
Smile Check out Winchester

If you can afford it check out Winchester
there are some reasonable deals right now with the housing market and on condos and apartments

We have a green feel to the downtown area. We have a lot of neighborhoods you can run in and a Middlesex Fells Reservation right nearby---
(woods)
there's 2 commuter rail stops in town and you can be in town in North Station in 20 min on the train.
Its a european style downtown --and a classic new england feel with quaint shops and a greenway right through town. - along the aberjona river. We have a lot of neat shops and restaurants/cafes, ice cream parlor, and a indie bookstore.

Its a cool town with lots of volunteer and community events and organizations
you can get involved with

check us out

Winchester, Massachusetts Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston