Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 AM

5 posts, read 9,659 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am moving to Boston from Ireland with my Job, and will be working in the Framingham area.
I am moving at the start of May, and need to find an apartment ASAP.

I am wondering if you can help me out with an area to try and find an apartment!!!!
I dont want to live in Framingham, as want to be near the City, so i was thinking about maybe,Brighton or Newton, as the Commute would't be too bad to and from work.

Im 25 so not really ready for the Suburban life yet, so if any of you out there can give some advice on areas with an easy commute to Framingham, but yet, close to Boston, I'd really appreciate it :-)

Also, im thinking of a budget of around $1500ish a month.

I tried searching through Craigslist, but the duplicate adds really started to annoy me.

hope you guys can shed some advice.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,197,882 times
Brighton or Newton are not really near the city, according to some. The public transit would take too long. Not sure if you would tolerate it, though many do.

A cab back to Brighton from downtown, after the bars close, could be $20-$30. Newton would be even higher.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 AM

Thanks for the info, I don't plan on being out every night in the downtown area, so $20-30 cab ride at the weekend wouldn't be that bad.

TBH id like somewhere thats about a 30min commute to framingham, but around the Brighton area if possible, or if there are other lively areas (with lots of Bars,restaurants etc) that i'm not aware of?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 AM

109 posts, read 330,072 times
In Brighton, the area between St. E's and Oak Square has quite a few places--Porter Belly's, The Last Drop, Green Briar, the Corrib. The area along Harvard Ave. in Allston, around Brighton Ave. and Comm. Ave., has a lot going on, including live music. No need to go downtown to have a good night out. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Thanks "Buywithheather", appreciate the feedback.
Will definitely look into those areas. Thanks.

Does anybody know about the commute to and from Framingham from Newton or Brighton?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:00 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNev88 View Post
Thanks "Buywithheather", appreciate the feedback.
Will definitely look into those areas. Thanks.

Does anybody know about the commute to and from Framingham from Newton or Brighton?

Depends on what parts of those three towns you are commuting to/from. I'd count on around 40 mins give or take.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:55 PM

546 posts, read 1,377,850 times
CNev88, the commute is a pain in the ass weather you use the T or drive. That unfortunately, is a given. I will say that Allston/Brighton is a happening area of the city for folks your age and younger. I agree with Maroon on the drive time. Living close to an exit on the pike (Interstate 90) would be a help.

Living somewhere temporarily may give you a real feel for an area before any long term leases are signed. Hope we are good to you

Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,828,626 times
Since your commute is reverse of traffic, 30-40 min probably but depends on how much you have to drive thru local streets before hitting the major route (Mass pike/I90, Rt 9, Rt 30).

Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 AM

109 posts, read 330,072 times
I agree with the estimates above, but you should expect a longer drive home in the evening on Fridays and when there's a big Sox game. Also factor in parking--you would be well served to find a place with an off-street spot included.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM

40 posts, read 109,457 times
CNev! Great to see another Irish person in town

Ignore the usual "everything is a pain in the ass" advice. Coming from Ireland you'll be pretty happy with the transport options.

I think you are in the right area.

Allston/Brighton is a very studenty area but also lots of Irish like the J1's and students seem to gravitate there. The rent in this area gets you more.
If you are driving to work you're on the right side of town.
The green line isn't the fastest in the world to head into town but you're close enough.

If you can afford it then the Fenway or even better Back Bay area would be great but expect less for your rent, you are right in the thick of things in terms of nightlife and things going on. (I like being near the city too so it's a constant balance of convenience vs. price.)
Back Bay Station would help you to and from work. And I know there is a commuter bus service that goes from downtown to Newton/Framingham. I know some people who use those reliably but I don't live on that side of town myself.

If you want more bang for your buck then you can go to Newton/Framingham. In fairness if getting more for your money is high priority I wouldn't distinguish between either, just find the best value apt. Both seem nice areas but will be a bit of a hike after a night out. Weekend trains to the city are also limited so you're bound by those which is a bit annoying if you get used to the T.

In terms of apartment hunting, unfortunately Craigslist is what people use. You can try Padmapper.com or Hotpads.com but its much of the same.
Agents can be a help since they'll have places not listed online but they'll show you every piece of crap apartment they can't shift until you turn everything down and insist they show you something decent... especially when you are from out of town.

In terms of what you'll get for the 1500. It's enough for a small studio, if you're lucky with timing it might get you a small 1-bed. Sharing somewhere at that price would get you a room in a decent house though. Don't expect luxury though, things that go with landlords here wouldn't be dreamt of in Ireland unfortunately...

Ummm... hope that was a help. I'm from Cork myself and here a few years so have some experience of the move. If I can help with any other questions or anything shoot me a PM. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston