Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,773 times

Advertisements

Hello good people. So this is my story. Me and my girlfriend will be moving to Boston from September. Actually my gf will move and I will join her later on since I’m still contracted with my job. She is going to Boston University for grad school from fall while I’m in Prague, Czech Republic working for HP. I have a BA in Business studies and I plan to enroll into a grad school too but it all depends on finances for me
My girlfriend got accepted at Boston University and Washington University in St Louis and we were thinking which Uni to pick so she finally picked Boston University. I’m delighted that she picked Boston because I have heard a lot of good things about the city.
Anyways my primary concern of moving to Boston is will I be able to find a job in Boston? I know that the whole USA economy is not great now but I would be leaving a really good and well paid job at HP so I can move and be with my girlfriend. So my question is if there are still some decent job offers in Boston?

Other thing that I’m really curious is the living expenses. Can you find a decent flat for 2 for around 1000$-1200$ a month?
I hope you will be able to give me some pointers because I’m making a life altering decision people!: Cheers,

Eddy

Last edited by Eddyy; 04-06-2009 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM

196 posts, read 993,926 times
There are certainly jobs...there is also a lot of competition though.

$1000-$1200 should be enough for a studio or a one bedroom...depending on the location of course. Try Allston-Brighton, Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville. You can also try to sublet so you can avoid all the rental fees.

Good luck with your move and hope you enjoy the city.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 AM

702 posts, read 3,014,022 times
Welcome. I hope you will like Boston. It is not as beautiful as Prague but it is one of the more European of American cities.

You are right in that the economy is quite bad right now in the U.S. Although Boston has less unemployment than the U.S. as a whole, it is still not very good. However, there are jobs to be had if you are in the right field. I'm assuming your reference to HP is Hewlett Packard. If so, have you considered transferring your job at HP in Boston? They have a relatively large presence in the Boston area. If not you can try for lots of other tech companies. IBM, Sun, Cisco, Google, Microsoft all have large presence here. The "hot" jobs currently in the area are for Green energy companies or biotechs, but there aren't too many out there. Check out Boston.com / Monster - Boston Area Jobs

Boston is quite expensive but can doable with your budget. One of the better sites to check for apartments is Homes - Boston.com

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,773 times
Thanks for the answers guys

Cheers,

Ed

Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,498,818 times
Just a fyi... on average Wash U in St Louis ranks higher than Boston U. But... it is in St. Louis.

In any case, $1200 is doable... it depends on your expectations of what the place look like. Getting a job requires a VISA. With the current economy, I greatly doubt anyone will sponsor someone from out of the country without a higher degree like MS or PHd or lots of experience.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,424,588 times
Cool Boston Rocks

You guys will love Boston. So much to do , so many different neighborhoods to explore, and different people. Also our sports ROCK!

Get used to the words New york sucks , Yankees Suck and GO RED SOX :-)

what field are you thinking of? job wise?

I would suggest looking around Malden near the "T" Station on the orange line, there's some decent apartment buildings with walking distance to the "T"
good starter apartments.

Davis Square area might be good too , although its a college atmosphere it has the "RED Line" Access and in a few yrs will have green line as well.
lots of shops and boutiques, eateries in Davis Sq.

Quincy might be another option close to the ocean and on the RED LINE.
Wollaston Beach area maybe?

--Jeff--
Winchester, MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston