Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2023, 07:59 PM

17,864 posts, read 9,304,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Subterfuge. You guys just don't want crime incidents posted on the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
No, I thought I made that clear in earlier comments, all that I question is one tired drooling thread that appears to be about one coming summer but that isn't. Break them up into annual threads like real estate going forward, that's all. Makes it easier to cross-check against stats - much more functional.
You did make that clear in earlier comments, but it didn't feel sincere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 12:07 AM

2,952 posts, read 5,209,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
No, I thought I made that clear in earlier comments, all that I question is one tired drooling thread that appears to be about one coming summer but that isn't. Break them up into annual threads like real estate going forward, that's all. Makes it easier to cross-check against stats - much more functional.
I'm all for a new annual crime thread, or even a seasonal thread. I've felt that way for awhile.

So who's going to put this one to bed finally, and dare create a new one for 2023?

(Not sure if this thread can include Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, Newton, Quincy, etc...or strictly intended for crime in the city limits.)

Seems some or most others here don't care either way?

Same with the sports threads: it seems some other cities have a new thread started for a local sports team at the start of the new season, not onging as it seems to be here.

Old 07-02-2023, 05:00 AM

5,126 posts, read 2,705,313 times
They need one for the MA room as well. Lots of threads about murders and other grisly crimes. I'm shocked at how much attention they attract and how much some people seem to love playing online detective, judge and jury.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:03 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,449,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
They need one for the MA room as well. Lots of threads about murders and other grisly crimes. I'm shocked at how much attention they attract and how much some people seem to love playing online detective, judge and jury.
The crime postings in this thread rarely garner any responses. Typically follow this pattern:
"Someone got shot "
"Wow that's too bad"
"..."

For those saying why wouldn't I want to know about every crime in the area, I ask why? It adds no value to our lives, no one here is gonna do anything about the crime, and the end result is fear without cause.

Yes there are serious crimes in Boston, and that hasn't changed for 100 years. I really don't understand the obsession with posting bland listings of crimes, without any plans to do anything about them.

Your Boston newspaper doesn't list every crime, does that upset you? Do you think they're hiding something, or trying to sugarcoat a problem?

As to this particular thread, I think it's stupid and needs to end. A new generic crime thread can be started if we must.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:19 AM

17,864 posts, read 9,304,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Double shooting in Mission hill:

https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...OGI5DJ7IR7B7I/

One person died.
^ Homicide #18 in Boston in 2023.

Mission Main

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/ck69cHtaGzdNkHKp6

Old 07-03-2023, 07:21 AM

5,126 posts, read 2,705,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
The crime postings in this thread rarely garner any responses. Typically follow this pattern:
"Someone got shot "
"Wow that's too bad"
"..."

For those saying why wouldn't I want to know about every crime in the area, I ask why? It adds no value to our lives, no one here is gonna do anything about the crime, and the end result is fear without cause.

Yes there are serious crimes in Boston, and that hasn't changed for 100 years. I really don't understand the obsession with posting bland listings of crimes, without any plans to do anything about them.

Your Boston newspaper doesn't list every crime, does that upset you? Do you think they're hiding something, or trying to sugarcoat a problem?

As to this particular thread, I think it's stupid and needs to end. A new generic crime thread can be started if we must.
This thread has evolved into a thread to post and comment on street crimes as they occur in various sections of Boston. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially given it's confined to basically one thread. I post incidents myself on occasion. The threads I am referring to are stand-alone and relate to notable crimes that occur in the state. They garner a lot of attention and ongoing commentary including ongoing detailed analysis and speculative commentary. I think there should be one thread for major crimes in MA, so those "True Crime" buffs who are really interested in speculating and armchair analyzing all the major crimes in MA can do so to their hearts content without needing threads for each one. This isn't a true crime forum. BTW I think there is value in knowing what types of street crimes may be occurring in various neighborhoods around the city.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 07-03-2023 at 07:41 AM..

Old 07-03-2023, 07:41 AM

857 posts, read 425,536 times
Quote:
"Someone got shot "
"Wow that's too bad"
"..."

It's a relocation forum. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with a reasonable discussion regarding crime. And since we all have different ideas regarding reasonableness, it's just the way the cookie crumbles for you. What's your objection? Your real objection?

Old 07-03-2023, 11:26 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,855,643 times
Quote:
"Someone got shot "
"Wow that's too bad"
"..."

It seems as though you only visit the forum to complain about this thread. What is up with that?

Old 07-03-2023, 02:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 6,370,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
It's a relocation forum. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with a reasonable discussion regarding crime. And since we all have different ideas regarding reasonableness, it's just the way the cookie crumbles for you. What's your objection? Your real objection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It seems as though you only visit the forum to complain about this thread. What is up with that?
It is very easy for any of us to skip over threads we have no interest in. Therefore I tend to believe that people who harp over threads they don't like have ulterior motives. Would a member of Boston's city council or the Mayor's office take issue with this particular thread? Hmmmm!

Old 07-03-2023, 05:15 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,855,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Therefore I tend to believe that people who harp over threads they don't like have ulterior motives.

There's certainly a lot of that on City-Data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Would a member of Boston's city council or the Mayor's office take issue with this particular thread? Hmmmm!

Don't know if I would jump that far, but I also don't think it's such a long shot. Regardless of what people say, politicians DO have staff allocated to scan and monitor forums such as these. You never know the kind of brass lurking here. It's another reason why I think it's so important to keep these discussions going. Crime is a problem, and at no point should they not be kept on their toes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston