Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 11:24 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
There you go, the problem we have here is that we provide too few places for violent offenders to frequent. ^
The city needs to develop more nightclubs to give violent offenders a place to go where they won't be tempted to kill or maim someone they have a problem with.

Youre funneling everyone to the same places and then kick them out before they've even had the liquor run through there system. Obviously, its going to cause issues.

Allowing the last call at 2 am and then ending the night at 3 or 4 am would be safest. Obviously, that's not really realistic because clubs make their money of alcohol. But they can definitely get creative with late-night food offerings if allowed I'm thinking of places like Yas Chicken, Savvor, and even places at the Seaport. Or maybe even just wind it down to beer/wine only after 2 am. Or charge a higher cover and cap the eople who can get an "extended late night"" since some of these places give you a wristband anyway.

This is the same issue with Rent Control- people think there's only one wat to skin a cat and think they just have to suffer because there no alternative. To me- it doesn't make sense. The alternative are innumerable the biggest roadblock besides grouchy old fogeys, is political favors and police details.

one nice thing about going out in NYC, San Juan, or Miami is you start to see places just quietly thin out during the course of the night. So it feels way less hectic at 210 as every tries to run to New YOrk pizza or Moon Villa or god forbid they drive to Alex's in the South End or get accosted by heroin zombies at 220 am in the drive-through of the Mcdonalds near Mass n Cass.

There's way too much post-club queuing in Boston and people taking the action back to their apartment in Dorchester or Roxbury which are not policed, not secured, and over pouring is abundant. Not to mention the afterhours spots in the hood. Its all bad. Afterhours residential spots dont really exist in DC or NYC because the need doesn't exist. Ive been to one in Roslindale- craziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 11:34 AM

5,126 posts, read 2,705,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Youre funneling everyone to the same places and then kick them out before they've even had the liquor run through there system. Obviously, its going to cause issues.

Allowing the last call at 2 am and then ending the night at 3 or 4 am would be safest. Obviously, that's not really realistic because clubs make their money of alcohol. But they can definitely get creative with late-night food offerings if allowed I'm thinking of places like Yas Chicken, Savvor, and even places at the Seaport. Or maybe even just wind it down to beer/wine only after 2 am. Or charge a higher cover and cap the eople who can get an "extended late night"" since some of these places give you a wristband anyway.

This is the same issue with Rent Control- people think there's only one wat to skin a cat and think they just have to suffer because there no alternative. To me- it doesn't make sense. The alternative are innumerable the biggest roadblock besides grouchy old fogeys, is political favors and police details.

one nice thing about going out in NYC, San Juan, or Miami is you start to see places just quietly thin out during the course of the night. So it feels way less hectic at 210 as every tries to run to New YOrk pizza or Moon Villa or god forbid they drive to Alex's in the South End or get accosted by heroin zombies at 220 am in the drive-through of the Mcdonalds near Mass n Cass.

There's way too much post-club queuing in Boston and people taking the action back to their apartment in Dorchester or Roxbury which are not policed, not secured, and over pouring is abundant. Not to mention the afterhours spots in the hood. Its all bad. Afterhours residential spots dont really exist in DC or NYC because the need doesn't exist. Ive been to one in Roslindale- craziness.
There has been a decline in late-night downtown businesses in general, including those late night eating establishments you alluded to. I'm attributing that to a decline in market for such businesses within the city limits, at least.

Your musings about rent control and night club violence might be more warmly received if they were supported by actual evidence rather than conjecture based on apples/oranges anecdotal observations of what you think happens in other cities. Or random links to data that do not support your observations/hypotheses in any statistically significant manner. Your incessant rants about skin color, age, and your other biases that you attribute to those who disagree with you don't help much either. Just makes you look like a resentful clown act.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-21-2022 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-21-2022, 11:50 AM

16,643 posts, read 8,369,674 times
It's interesting that people push for places to stay open later...like 2am isn't late enough? I don't care if you can stay out all night in LA and NYC, this is Boston. When I went out I did sometimes stay out until 2 and I can tell you nothing good was happening lol. People are generally not sober which leads to irresponsible behavior. If the bars stay open until 4am the bad behavior will likely be taken outside then. Do these other cities that have places open later have less crime for that reason?

Old 12-21-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's interesting that people push for places to stay open later...like 2am isn't late enough? I don't care if you can stay out all night in LA and NYC, this is Boston. When I went out I did sometimes stay out until 2 and I can tell you nothing good was happening lol. People are generally not sober which leads to irresponsible behavior. If the bars stay open until 4am the bad behavior will likely be taken outside then. Do these other cities that have places open later have less crime for that reason?
No, they usually have more. Boston no longer has many industrial zones where late night businesses could be located. It's becoming a big suburb. Nobody wants them in their back yards for the reasons you've mentioned. Places like Landsdowne Street which were primarily entertainment districts are now interspersed with residences. Same goes for areas like Fort Point Channel. Mass Ave near Melnea Cass always had a couple of inner city night clubs but I don't think anybody is wanting to open anything there now. There are residences back there on Magazine and Cottage streets too. Problems are connected to patron behavior. It's the patron behavior that needs to change.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-21-2022 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-21-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
There has been a decline in late-night downtown businesses in general, including those late night eating establishments you alluded to. I'm attributing that to a decline in market for such businesses within the city limits, at least.

Your musings about rent control and night club violence might be more warmly received if they were supported by actual evidence rather than conjecture based on apples/oranges anecdotal observations of what you think happens in other cities. Or random links to data that do not support your observations/hypotheses in any statistically significant manner. Your incessant rants about skin color, age, and your other biases that you attribute to those who disagree with you don't help much either. Just makes you look like a resentful clown act.
youre a hater dude. That's just where you're at in life right now.

But naw all the places I mentioned are still open. However the reasons for the decline in late-night business in general is that they're unable to staff a 3rd shift due to COL.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
2 am is definitely not late enough. I fi go out I'm never tired by 2 am... Albany New York closes at 4 am lol. LA closes at 2 am.

So Idk what you mean "this is Boston" you're just moving off of weird old stereotypes.

I've never shot anyone... let alone at 4 am.. just let people be out. It's not illegal to be up past 2 and it shouldn't be treated as such. BGJ is right that patron behaviors isnt good, but I find nightlife in Boston to be heavily underpoliced compared to DC. Maybe if they spent less time doing construction detail they could spend more time doing nightlife /club details and wed be better for it.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
youre a hater dude. That's just where you're at in life right now.

But naw all the places I mentioned are still open. However the reasons for the decline in late-night business in general is that they're unable to staff a 3rd shift due to COL.
If I hate anything it's ignorance cloaked as worldliness.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:09 PM

16,643 posts, read 8,369,674 times
Default re

Quote:
2 am is definitely not late enough. I fi go out I'm never tired by 2 am... Albany New York closes at 4 am lol. LA closes at 2 am.

So Idk what you mean "this is Boston" you're just moving off of weird old stereotypes.

I've never shot anyone... let alone at 4 am.. just let people be out. It's not illegal to be up past 2 and it shouldn't be treated as such. BGJ is right that patron behaviors isnt good, but I find nightlife in Boston to be heavily underpoliced compared to DC. Maybe if they spent less time doing construction detail they could spend more time doing nightlife /club details and wed be better for it.
They're not weird stereotypes. Why do we have to be open late just because some other city is?

That's nice that you're not tired at 2am but plenty of others are. Stay up in your house or someone else's if they let you.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:

You can do that. Just have the City Council and Licensing Boards require all night clubs to hire a contingent of police into the wee hours of the morning. Let's see how many of the anti-police "Boston is overpoliced" crackpots vote for it, and let's see how many club owners are willing to do it. Most of the people you support seem to think Boston is already over-policed. The other part of this is that if you want police present, you can't complain when they arrest people. You were on another thread here last week bellowing about Boston's crime rate and implying it had nothing to do with Police and here you are saying it's underpoliced. lol. Too funny.

Old 12-21-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
They're not weird stereotypes. Why do we have to be open late just because some other city is?

That's nice that you're not tired at 2am but plenty of others are. Stay up in your house or someone else's if they let you.
You don't have t do it because another city is doing it but ti does make you more attractive to young people. Boston for instance retains fewer of its college graduates than some of our rival cities.

If another city can do it- 9 timee out of 10 there's really no reason Boston cant do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston