Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2023, 12:03 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,859,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ive been in the Boston the last 7 days. One of the things that is hard to miss is the lack of African Americans outside very specific areas of the city. Even in Dallas, if you're in Uptown, the Park Cities, or Lakewood there is still a significant African American presence visiting those areas. In the Boston equivalents (Beacon Hill, Back Bay, etc.), it is completely absent. Dallas is somewhat segregated, but you don't have to drive to specific areas of town to see African Americans in significant numbers. In Boston, you have to be in Dorchester, Roslindale, Roxbury, etc. to even run across them in any sort of significance.

It's not to say all of Boston is segregated. Roslindale and Roxbury feel relatively integrated. But the upscale areas of the city feel extremely segregated.

Yea I mean..that’s how it is.and has always been.

You can also go to Hyde Park, South End, Mission Hill, even parts of a west Roxbury’s not sure if that makes a place racist. Like what is the impetus for me to go downtown? It’s prohibitively expensive to do anything casual other than Downtown Crossign to Chinatown. Like I’m not interested in going to the Back Bay….it’s literally millions of dollars to live there so no there aren’t many black people there at all.

Dallas is a sunbelt city and those never really are that segregated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Before you get on your soapbox with the "this is indicative of" it was Draymond Green who said him and Steph were called the N- Word by Boston fans during the finals. Here's the article from The guardian and here's the quote.

[.
The Draymond Green who lied about a death threat and got a fan kicked out the game? And whos using Steph Curry to gain credibility because he's a known instigator and incessant trash-talker/mental gamer?

Looks Like Draymond Green Lied About a Fan Threatening His Life
https://www.hiphoplately.com/looks-l...ning-his-life/

^This just so happens to be the only guy saying he heard N word rain down on him like 'never before'? Months after the fact? The dramatics bruh..and no one else heard or can corroborate that? I follow black members of the Boston sports media, and a bunch of other black folks who go to games. None of them reported that.

You act like no athlete had ever lied about being called the N-Word (I remember a certain incident with the Steelers and Maurkice Pouncey and a helmet that had black people calling the bluff) and Draymond hasn’t lied before and doesn’t start drama. But because it’s Boston we just have to believe it, or we’re caping for racism….

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-28-2023 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-28-2023, 03:21 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,866,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ive been in the Boston the last 7 days. One of the things that is hard to miss is the lack of African Americans outside very specific areas of the city. Even in Dallas, if you're in Uptown, the Park Cities, or Lakewood there is still a significant African American presence visiting those areas. In the Boston equivalents (Beacon Hill, Back Bay, etc.), it is completely absent. Dallas is somewhat segregated, but you don't have to drive to specific areas of town to see African Americans in significant numbers. In Boston, you have to be in Dorchester, Roslindale, Roxbury, etc. to even run across them in any sort of significance.

It's not to say all of Boston is segregated. Roslindale and Roxbury feel relatively integrated. But the upscale areas of the city feel extremely segregated.
I get what you're saying but this isn't a phenomenon unique to Boston or worse in Boston than comparable legacy cities. N one bats an eye that Manhattan south of 97th street is the same way if not less black than tiny central Boston neighborhoods (Beacon Hill and Back bay are so small they measured in ACRES) Beacon Hil is like 0.16 square mile area.

Spoiler

Old 05-28-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I get what you're saying but this isn't a phenomenon unique to Boston or worse in Boston than comparable legacy cities. N one bats an eye that Manhattan south of 97th street is the same way if not less black than tiny central Boston neighborhoods (Beacon Hill and Back bay are so small they measured in ACRES) Beacon Hil is like 0.16 square mile area.

Spoiler

Yea I saw this phenomenon in Chicago too. It's not really super unique to Boston, but it's somewhat unique all the "cool" places are considered to be the whitest places possible.

Furthermore, and to your point- Roxbury Dorchester and Roslindale are like wayyyy wayyyy bigger and more populous than Beacon Hill or Back Bay.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:33 AM

12,193 posts, read 8,067,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I saw this phenomenon in Chicago too. It's not really super unique to Boston, but it's somewhat unique all the "cool" places are considered to be the whitest places possible.

Furthermore, and to your point- Roxbury Dorchester and Roslindale are like wayyyy wayyyy bigger and more populous than Beacon Hill or Back Bay.
Well in NYC, the coolest neighborhoods are the West Village, East Village, DUMBO, and Williamsburg. I understand they are a little more diverse, BUT we ALL know why they are so popular.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:58 AM

1,059 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
N one bats an eye that Manhattan south of 97th street is the same way if not less black than tiny central Boston neighborhoods (Beacon Hill and Back bay are so small they measured in ACRES) Beacon Hil is like 0.16 square mile area.
]
(Chiming in as Manhattan was brought up….)

Apology in advance if I misunderstood your post (it’s very early in the morning.) but are you saying Manhattan “south of 97th street” is very white the way Beacon Hill and Back Bay are?

Everywhere in Manhattan, maybe save for a few blocks in upper, upper Upper Eastside, is very diverse. I find the comment completely confusing.

(Now taking myself out of the discussion, carry on……)

Last edited by achtung baby; 05-29-2023 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-29-2023, 08:05 AM

12,193 posts, read 8,067,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post

Apology in advance if I misunderstood your post (it’s very early in the miring.) but are you saying Manhattan “south of 97th street” is very white the way Beacon Hill and Back Bay are?

Everywhere in Manhattan, maybe save for a few blocks in upper, upper Upper Eastside, is very diverse.

Ehhhh in recent years the "trendy" manhattan is just code for white.

All 20 of the top 20 influencers from Manhattan live below 30th Street and are white. Either white gay men, or white women. Thats as diverse as it gets for trend setting. Sure its more comfortable to be a POC in Manhattan, but since COVID the suburban white people invaded Manhattan and its really become chuegy, inauthentic and quite frankly... pretty damn awful. I work in Manhattan and my cousins just moved there so I went to visit her in the West Village. Easily 200 people in the bar.... not a single non-White or Asian person in the whole restaurant.

Maybe it is diverse, im sure... but Lower Manhattan is EXTREMELY segregated. Im not sure if it was ever like that. But it is now.

But this isnt Manhattan/Brooklyn specific at all. Hoboken is like this. Boston's Seaport is like this. DC is like this.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:40 AM

1,059 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ehhhh in recent years the "trendy" manhattan is just code for white.

All 20 of the top 20 influencers from Manhattan live below 30th Street and are white. Either white gay men, or white women. Thats as diverse as it gets for trend setting. Sure its more comfortable to be a POC in Manhattan, but since COVID the suburban white people invaded Manhattan and its really become chuegy, inauthentic and quite frankly... pretty damn awful. I work in Manhattan and my cousins just moved there so I went to visit her in the West Village. Easily 200 people in the bar.... not a single non-White or Asian person in the whole restaurant.

Maybe it is diverse, im sure... but Lower Manhattan is EXTREMELY segregated. Im not sure if it was ever like that. But it is now.

But this isnt Manhattan/Brooklyn specific at all. Hoboken is like this. Boston's Seaport is like this. DC is like this.
I was just in Manhattan last week. Granted only a few days and I don’t live there anymore, but tons of my friends do, (two of my long time best friends in NYC are black so their POV also helped.) I still subscribed to New York magazine to this day, altogether I am not that out of touch with NYC.

It’s indeed much whiter but still not “Lilly white” the way, say, Denver is. (When we lived in Sarasota FL, we walked in to a packed Sunday brunch, easily 250 people, all white, I was the only Asian.) And there are tons of Asians in Manhattan. Street-wise I saw all kinds of people. (I stayed in SoHo, went to restaurants such as Balthazar and Pastis, the patrons were White, Asian, Black, Indian….all kinds.)

I don’t follow “influencers” and honestly, don’t buy into the “influencers” hype. (I have friends who are, like legitimately blue check status. Trust me, nothing to envy or look up to. You can be an influencer with the right tool, thirst and motivation, but it’s not something to aspire to unless one counts making $ off the sponsors. My 14 yrs old isn’t allowed to have social media (she doesn’t care.) For us who lived before internet and social media, we can easily see that social media can be very confusing and detached from the real world to young people.)

I’m with you 100% on the view of the current Manhattan. I like your description of “chuegy”.

Lower Manhattan when I lived there was never segregated. If one thing I loved about NYC in our time is that you could literally meet anyone, any kind of people, quirky, weird, unconventional, uptight, whatever. No one cared, no one made a big deal. Where I lived, corner of Lafayette & Spring, all kinds of famous people -designers/models/writers/artists roaming around on the street, nobody made a fuss. I once went downstairs to take the trash out, I literally had Leo DiCaprio standing next to the garbage can talking on the phone waiting for someone. I said “excuse me sir.” He moved and said “oh I’m sorry.” That’s it. Business as usual.

I’m sure it’s different now.

(Now carry on to Boston. I don’t want to derail the thread. )

Old 05-29-2023, 01:14 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,585,815 times
i need some time to research the article but i read an article in the atlantic maybe 10 years ago about racial/ethnic segregation in u.s.a. citys: i.i.r.c., chicago was #1 ... n.y.c. was in the top 5 ... boston was in the top 10.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post

Apology in advance if I misunderstood your post (it’s very early in the morning.) but are you saying Manhattan “south of 97th street” is very white the way Beacon Hill and Back Bay are?

Everywhere in Manhattan, maybe save for a few blocks in upper, upper Upper Eastside, is very diverse. I find the comment completely confusing.

Huh?

He just showed you where its white on the map

I wen to the Meatpacking District in Manhattan not too long ago. Very white. Not blindingly but 80%+ i don’t agree that all of Manhattan is very diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston