Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:38 PM

23 posts, read 172,680 times

Advertisements

Are there any good fabric stores around anymore, either in Boston or metrowest? Every once in a while I still get the urge to make a dress or casual clothes, and I find it almost impossible to find good fabric. The Fabric Place and Joann's seem okay if you're making a quilt or a prom dress or upholstering something, but I can't find a good assortment of anything else. Any suggestions?

I used to shop at North End Fabrics (which was, confusingly enough, on Harrison Avenue in Chinatown) but it's been gone for years. I miss it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:33 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
I got the fabric for my wedding dress at Sew Fine Discount Fabrics. It's in the Twin City Plaza (near Leachmere Station) in Cambridge. I don't know anything about fabric, but their prices were good.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
Smile Fabric Stores...

I was born and raised in Boston and I remember my grandmother, who was a seamstress (from Ireland!); would ONLY get her fabric in Chinatown and that's all there was to it. You're right, at one time (way back when) that was the ONLY good place around in New England to get the really beautiful fabric, but not any more, those days are over. There may be one or two places left like that in Chinatown, but it's not the same as it was; we checked a few times and it just didn't cut it the way it used to! So these days, we travel down to Zimman's located at 80 Market Street in Lynn, MA. occasionally, they've got some stunning material. You can go online to check it out too. They also have another location in the Metrowest. It's in Hudson, MA. at 68 Tower Street: Zimman's

In Exeter, New Hampshire the Hankerchief Shop is a lot like Zimmans. There's just something about Zimman's & this Hankerchief Shop that we really like now. We've found some beautiful fabric from both of these shops. Joanne's Fabric is good too though, for custom made upholstery and curtains.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,175 times
The shop I went to was actually "Sew-Fisiticated Discount Fabrics."

Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
There used to be a fabulous one in Framingham...I grew up near there...I can't remember the name but it was HUGE.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 30,959 times
Storibook Designs 500 Main Street Clinton MA [url=http://www.storibookdesigns.com]Untitled Document[/url] or [url=http://www.storibookdesigns.phanfare.com]Storibook Designs Gallery[/url] Great place, hidden gem and right down the road are two more fabric stores: Sawyerbrook Fabrics (apparel fabrics, buttons) and Willowtree Fabrics (about 10 minutes down the road in Sterling -- Quilting/craft fabrics.Worth the day trip and Sarah at Storibook can let you know other great places in the area to go for lunch, an ice cream or a beautiful nature walk along the reservoir.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
HJH

1 posts, read 28,876 times
Wink HJH The Best Fabric Store in Boston

I go to Winmil Fabrics all the time. They have the best fabric that they get from designers. The prices are discounted and the Help is wonderful. They take the time to answer all my questions. They have patterns, thread and anything else I am looking for. Once you go there you won't go anywhere else. They are at 107 Chauncy st. right behind Macys. Go there and you will be happy.

Last edited by HJH; 10-13-2009 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-13-2009, 04:32 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
Years ago when I lived in Walpole MA and made most of my clothes, I would go to the Frankin Mill store. Anyone know if it's still there? I was on a tight budget and they had great prices and selection.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:37 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Yes, it's still there. They are really good for upholstery fabrics.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-13-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,748 times
Sadly the Fabric Place in Framingham is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston