Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 12:06 PM

38 posts, read 388,340 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I finally moved to Boston! I am living on Brookline Ave, near Fenway Park. I am close to the Fenway stop on the D line.

Does anyone know of any Indian grocery stores in the vicinity, either a reasonable cab ride away or accessible by MBTA (bus, subway).

*I do not have a car, but can use Zipcar if necessary*

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 PM

702 posts, read 3,014,853 times
Unfortunately, I don't know the Fenway area. I do know of 2 Indian stores near Malden Center station on the orange line. However, I'm sure there must be closer ones near Allston/Brighton.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:32 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,266,192 times
I go to the ones on Moody St. in Waltham. And there's a good one just outside of Central Square in Cambridge. Have you looked in your phone book yellow pages yet?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,266,192 times
The closet Indian grocery store may be this one and call ahead to make sure that there are still there:

Kashmir food & Spices
234 Harvard Street Massachusetts (MA) Phone: (617) 734 7153

I found it in this listing here. There are map links next to the listings.

Indian grocery stores in Massachusetts

Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 20,830 times
Default A comprehensive listing

You may also be interested in the extensive listings on: [url=http://www.garamchai.com/bazaarNE.htm]Indian Baazars, grocers, video, DVD reltal and businesses catering to NRIs in the US and North America from Garamchai.Com[/url]

Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 AM

12 posts, read 41,759 times
why?
(curious)

Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 AM

484 posts, read 1,947,665 times
There's Shalimar in Central Square, Cambridge.

Super 88 Market has a good selection of Indian groceries. So does the Shaw's at Packard's Corner in Allston.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 18,951 times
You may also check out online options like [url=http://www.indianfoodsco.com]Indian groceries, Indian Grocery Store online, Indian Groceries online, Indian foods, Indian food store, Online food store, buy Indian grocery, - Indian food products, Shop Indian Foods, Shop Indian Grocery - an online Indian food store[/url]

Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 AM

4,892 posts, read 13,883,800 times
Ditto re Shalimar, which is on Mass. Ave on the right side as you go toward Harvard. Central Square also boasts yet another India-focused grocer, which is named India Food & Spices. (Imagine that! LOL) They're located on River St about three blocks away from the square. Both carry not only the food products you'd expect, but also stuff you might not realize you'd missed like "native" candy bars and soda. (Sorry if my assumption that you're Indian, or someone who's lived in that country, is off base.) Better still, you can order meals to go at either store. I think the take-out food is slightly superior at India Food & Spices - everything seems fresher there, and they even have a real cooking stove - but Shalimar is practically a mini-department- store where you can purchase clothes and DVD's as well as things to eat. On a smaller scale, the mom-and-pop grocer called Verma's Market, a few blocks in the direction of Harvard on the left side of Mass. Ave, carries some Indian produce and boxed "easy-to-prepare meals" and also sells some samosas and such.
Hop on the 47 bus bound for Central Square at the stop in front of Landmark Center on Park Drive at Brookline Ave, and you're there inside of ten minutes.
Moody St in Waltham is a "Mecca" for Indian and other South Asian food retailers, and no less than five Indian restaurants (my personal favorite being New Mother India) call the street home as well. You can get there fairly easily on the T, though none too quickly, by transferring in Central Square to the 70 or 70A buses. From Waltham's Central Square bus stop - along the south side of Waltham Common, and where just about everyone left on board after the malls in Watertown will disembark - walk west to the corner of Moody, then turn south and cross the railroad tracks and the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston