Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:32 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,422,282 times

Advertisements

There are two that were life changing for me:

It Will Never Happen to Me by Claudia Black. It's about children of alcoholics and it may have saved my life. I read it in the summer of 1983 and it got me on the road to therapy and what I think has been a pretty good life.

Redemption; The Myth of Pet Overpopulation by Nathan Winograd. Like many in the world of rescue I had believed that "we can't save them all" because there are just too many of them. Winograd shows what would need to happen for the 3 million or so healthy, adoptable dogs and cats to find good homes. Each year individuals and families add about 18 million new pets to their homes but only a fraction of them come from shelters and rescues. It's estimated that about half a million come from puppy mills and smaller back yard breeders. Many come from Oops! litters where people didn't bother to get a pet fixed soon enough.
It got me more involved in rescue and education about the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:16 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,687,628 times
The Art Of Racing In The Rain. By Garth Stein.

I am a HUGE dog lover & this book had me in tears all the way though it. I've lost several animals & it touched me to wonder if they think like Enzo does!

Old 10-19-2014, 12:20 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,332,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Have you ever read a book that blew your mind? It doesn't have to be the best book you've ever read, or your most favorite, just a book that really made you say "wow" or maybe made you look at things in a new way.

For example, I've read two in the last six months that really blew me away: Brave New World and All Quiet on the Western Front. They got me for different reasons, Brave New World because I felt that Huxley was on to something, and All Quiet on the Western Front because it really made the emotions of the fight come to me. Wow. And thanks!
Really, in some way *every* book that I read blows my mind because it is offering me new thoughts, new perspectives and ideas. Even though I do not read fiction, I find that this is true of non-fiction also. One of my favorite books in the world is Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. Every time I read it, I am completely blown away.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-19-2014, 12:27 PM

11,519 posts, read 14,789,534 times
Stolen Lives--a good book. Survival after odds that would have killed most of us.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,550,839 times
I've got a long list, but here are a few:

2666 by Bolano--this is a lengthy, discursive, and excessive meditation on violence, gender, art, and fate. It subverts several different fiction genres to build its sprawling landscape.

1491 by Mann--nonfiction; a journalist surveys the last century of scholarship on the Americas before Columbus and explains that everything I was taught in school about the Americas was wrong.

The Year of Magical Thinking by Didion--nonfiction; a memoir of sorts that uses techniques of fiction to tell a story of grief and mourning.

Against the Wind: Memoirs of a Radical Christian by Solle--nonfiction; a liberation theologian describes her formative years and criticizes the role of Protestantism in the rise of German fascism.

Invisible Man by Ellison--I've never read another author who reached the nature of race in America so adroitly. Also an excellent example of late modern prose.

The Trial by Kafka--suberb modernism, forces the reader to ask big questions.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM

31,335 posts, read 14,582,402 times
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Best adventure book I've ever read.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:38 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,508,133 times
Jodi Picoult's Small Great Things came close.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:38 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,918,439 times
Superstition by David Ambrose Parapsychologist Sam Towne believes that ghosts come from the human mind, not from "beyond". To prove his theory, he invites eight volunteers, including skeptical reporter Joanna Cross, to take part in an experiment. In a series of seances they invent "Adam Wyatt," a tragic Revolutionary War hero, and are thrilled when he starts rapping on tables and spelling out messages.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:48 AM

15,269 posts, read 10,525,507 times
The last page of a book called "The Other Side of Midnight".

Old 06-07-2017, 12:40 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,110,469 times
Many years ago this trilogy shook me, not inspired me, but put me in a ugly yet fascinating realm. Have not read it since.

The Gormenghast Novels by Peake

Also this autobiography by Chambers revealed an inside look at Communism in USA that shocked me.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Last edited by Mahayana; 06-07-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books