Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:30 PM

220 posts, read 283,635 times

Advertisements

Have you ever read a book that blew your mind? It doesn't have to be the best book you've ever read, or your most favorite, just a book that really made you say "wow" or maybe made you look at things in a new way.

For example, I've read two in the last six months that really blew me away: Brave New World and All Quiet on the Western Front. They got me for different reasons, Brave New World because I felt that Huxley was on to something, and All Quiet on the Western Front because it really made the emotions of the fight come to me. Wow. And thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 AM

677 posts, read 1,622,281 times
I remember reading those books in high school. Loved Brave New World but didn't care for All Quiet on the Western Front. I wonder if my opinion would change if I were to read it again, though.

Some books that blew me away were The Metamorphosis and the His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass). I haven't been reading much in the past couple of years so I don't have anymore to add.

I'll be following this thread to get some new ideas though

Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 AM

56 posts, read 220,198 times
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I can't describe in words how it blew my mind away but it did a very good job doing just that.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 AM

10,180 posts, read 20,808,625 times
Typically it's the non-fiction books that will hit me, not so much novels. One that comes to mind is, First They Killed My Father, by Loung Ung. Very difficult book to get through, tragic and heartbreaking, but it gives you a perspective on how good we have it here and just how bad it can be. It also takes you into the lives of these people, so the reader can see they are not just nameless, faceless villagers who were risidual casualties of war. The author takes you into her tragic losses at the hands of the Khmer Rouge, and you can picture your own family being torn apart and murdered in this way, and it's heartwrenching.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:36 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,137,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Typically it's the non-fiction books that will hit me, not so much novels. One that comes to mind is, First They Killed My Father, by Loung Ung. Very difficult book to get through, tragic and heartbreaking, but it gives you a perspective on how good we have it here and just how bad it can be. It also takes you into the lives of these people, so the reader can see they are not just nameless, faceless villagers who were risidual casualties of war. The author takes you into her tragic losses at the hands of the Khmer Rouge, and you can picture your own family being torn apart and murdered in this way, and it's heartwrenching.
I am going to have to read that, thanks!

Yeah, that is how I felt when I discovered Solzhenitsen...I called my mother up & said "how come I didn't know this??"...I mean, I knew Stallin was a bad guy, but I had no idea.

Yes, usually it is nonficiton that catches me like this...because I didn't know of a situation or event that (now that I know) can change my perspective from now on.

Khitty, I've had A Fine Balance on my shelf for a long time, waiting to be read.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,480,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Have you ever read a book that blew your mind? It doesn't have to be the best book you've ever read, or your most favorite, just a book that really made you say "wow" or maybe made you look at things in a new way.
Not quite, but I'd say that Michener's Centennial at least licked it pretty hard.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,678 times
The Sound and The Fury blew my mind. It was a really difficult book to wrap my brain around, but the effort turned out to be worth it, in spades.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM

220 posts, read 283,635 times
Coolhand68-

I read mostly nonfiction, so after you mentioned it, I realized my two examples are fiction...odd for me. My two favorite nonfiction books are All The Presidents Men and The Final Days by Woodward and Bernstein, but I can't say they really blew my mind (although that Nixon...whoa!) Nonfiction-wise, I would say the book that blew my mind the most was Night by Elie Wiesel. I don't know how someone could write about their experiences in a concentration camp, much less something experienced as a teenager. In fact, I don't know how someone could survive their time there, period. Amazing.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM

223 posts, read 532,366 times
Little Bee was the first book that I have read in a long time, that when I finished it I said WOW! Had me thinking about it for days. The other book that blew my mind and I have read a couple times since is Into Thin Air. Into Thin Air really gripped me and sparked my interest in books about Everest. You could feel every bit of cold and wind in Into Thin Air.

Very good reads, one fiction and the other non-fiction.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 AM

497 posts, read 509,107 times
the bible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books