Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 AM

225 posts, read 1,075,275 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have two questions to ask my fellow readers out here:

1) can anyone recommend any books that deal with real ghost stories and discuss what ghosts are all about?

2) does anyone know about the validity of Hans Holzer? I know he wrote several books about ghost sightings and I am reading one of them now but I am wondering if he is "for real" or one of those "money making scam artists."

I have always been interested in ghosts and even more so lately so I am looking for some good and truthful reference books. Websites are also welcomed and those can be DMed to me. Thanks in advance to all who can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 12:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but we bought this book, and as one of the reviews says, it has the ring of authenticity to it.
We met one of the people who told his story in the book, and he said that everything happened just as the author described. He became a believer.
Ghosts of Nantucket
This is not a reference book, nor does it truly explain ghosts, though the introduction offers a couple of ideas.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Thank you Blue Willow, I will check this one out. I appreciate the response.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
What sparked your interest in ghosts?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
What sparked your interest in ghosts?
I guess it would be a number of things but one thing that really sparked it was the movie THE OTHERS. And no, I never saw the ending coming . It totally threw me for a loop and then following up with other films like THE SKELETON KEY and other ghost stories. I have always been fascinated with them and slightly believed but I am questioning the validity of ghosts being real less and less these days. I have never had any actually "sighting" but I still find it a fascinating topic. I also write short stories and one I would like to try is a ghost story but I would like to make sure I have my facts straight before I attempt it. That is one of the main reasons why I am searching for information/reference books and any books of people who have dealt with ghosts. The thing is I would like to steer clear of any authors who write about the topic but are not considered "true authorities" on the topic. Those are the reasons for my interest in this. When I looked in the bookstore there wasn't much of a section on it and my local library hardly has any books at all, which I find hard to believe. I thought for sure this topic would be widely written about.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
I guess it would be a number of things but one thing that really sparked it was the movie THE OTHERS..
For anyone intrigued by The Others or the Sixth Sense, I always tell them to check out the much earlier (1962) movie, Carnival of Souls.

More on topic, a couple years ago I read a biography of a 19th century ghost researcher and his assistants. This team investigated the paranormal. The occult was very fashionable back then; these researchers were very dedicated and methodical. They ruled out what they considered to be false.
Frauds were unmasked.
No solid conclusions were reached, but not everything was ruled out.
One medium, Mrs. Piper, seemed to actually have physic ability.
The bio was written by a science journalist.
Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death
A review of the book
More reviews

Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,374 times
As to Hans Holzer - I wouldn't call him a scammer, more of a compiler of ghost stories. I had dealings with him over 40 years ago. In the case of hauntings he was directly involved with, he'd bring a medium with him and they were always top notch. He always wanted rights to publish from the people involved. I don't feel he was dishonest, but he wasn't averse to making money from these cases, too.

He passed away within the last year.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks jmarkey. I had found out that he passed away as of April this year I believe. I know from his book GHOSTS he does use mediums and one of them was Sybil Leeks. Although I would never fault him, or anyone, for making a buck on his findings I just wanted to make sure he was credible in his writings and not some, shall we say - carnival palm reader.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 PM

437 posts, read 1,071,709 times
"Ghost Hunting" by Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson is good; Holzer is good. There are a lot of books out there.

There is also a magazine with true ghost stories, "FATE" that has been around for years; I have sold them several of my real-life encouters with the paranormal.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
Thanks jmarkey. I had found out that he passed away as of April this year I believe. I know from his book GHOSTS he does use mediums and one of them was Sybil Leeks. Although I would never fault him, or anyone, for making a buck on his findings I just wanted to make sure he was credible in his writings and not some, shall we say - carnival palm reader.
was priviledged to be in their company briefly years ago-----both were genuine---he was more of an investigator/writer---sybil was an excellent medium!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books