Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,743 times

Advertisements

mitch albom is my favorite authors..he wrote my favorite book tuesdays with morrie and 5 people you meet in heaven..

i learned alot in life in this book..

and it really inspires me..

Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,884,206 times
Ann Rule.

She writes about true crime stories/cases. Some are really interesting and I had never heard of some of these cases before until I read about them. I love how she writes about some of these cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 AM

65 posts, read 125,283 times
Stieg Larsson

I love his Millennium series

Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
My favorite author? Depends on the day.

But, a few that come to mind besides some already mentioned (if someone has mentioned these and I missed it, sorry)--

James Lee Burke--Mystery/crime novels set in the bayous of Louisiana or western Montana. Very good books, can be a bit dark.
Tony Hillerman (RIP)--mostly crime novels set on the Navajo Rez in NM/AZ with main characters being members of Navajo Tribal Police. Loved them all.
Patrick McManus--mostly known as a outdoors/hunting/sporting short story comedy writier. Absolutely hilarious. Has also written a couple of recent mysteries with humorous undertones. Most stories set in Pacific Northwest.
Carl Hiaason--mystery writer, again humorous, stories that I've read are set in Florida.
W.E.B. Griffen--military/police novels
Joesph Wambaugh--good writer of mostly police/crime books with a bunch that have been made into movies.
Alexie Sherman--Native American writer...variety of types of books, all I've read from that perspective.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:11 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
okay found another one I like too . im going to add him to the bunch , his name is chris bohjalian .his books are titled 'Past the bleachers , Before you know kindness , the law of similars , skeletons at the feast , the buffalo soldier, the double bind , I know he has others but just cant remember all of them right now. I hope to get his new one soon . also see picoult has a new one out too called house rules , cant wait to get my hands on a copy .

Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
I like a lot of different authors. Many have been named here. I like Tom Clancy--but I find it interesting that he will come up with a story concept and let other authors write the actual books. This is the case for his Net Force and Op-Center series (there's one other, but I can't think of it now). Steve Piecznik writes many of the Op-Center books, and is a good author in his own right.

James Lee Burke and his books about Dave Robichaux. Stephen Hunter writes about a sniper, Bob Lee Swagger, in Point of Impact, and I've read other stories that seemed to be prequels to that book, as they talked more about the story of that character's father. You might like Sara Paretsky.

One author I need to look up and find more of is Patrick Robinson, a British author who frequently writes about the U.S. Navy. He also had British Navy characters, but the predominant characters seem to be Americans. In the first book I read, a U.S. carrier is torpedoed and sunk.

Robert Ludlum was the man behind the Bourne Conspiracy :-), he's had books out long before Matt Damon turned them into movies. Ken Follett is another along the same line.

I'm trying to think about the author that writes books about a IRA member who wound up working for the British government. Seems to me that the author's name started with a B or C. (Considering where in the library I went to pick up the books). Greg Rucka had some good books out--and that's even discussing the ones NOT talking about Batman, or other heroes of the DC multiverse.

I also like David Morrell, who wrote a book very similar to Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code...which I read before I heard of The Da Vinci Code. There's another author whose name, again, I cannot recall who writes about an art forger who winds up working as a spy for the Vatican. Not to be confused with Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr, a small time cat burglar. I also find Block's character "John Keller", from the Hit Man series interesting. Dry, sarcastic wit.

I'm sorry this is so long, I guess I went overboard.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:58 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,853 times
At the present time, my favorite is Diana Gabaldon. I found her Outlander series wonderful.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,658 times
Default Who is your favorite author?

Mary Lunch Barbera - The verbal behavior approach
Crenguta Lacramioara Oprea
Rudolf Steiner - Psychological Studies
Gerard Caron

See [url=http://www.procarti.ro]Carti de la ProCarti[/url] Carti - Books for the books and authors above or
[url=http://www.callisto.ro]Carti de medicina - Librarie virtuala - Carti medicale[/url] - Carti medicina - Medical books.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,638 times
Jane Austen
Charlotte Bronte
Fyodor Dostoevsky
George Eliot
Harper Lee
Sinclair Lewis
Somerset Maugham
James Michener
Richard Russo
Betty Smith
William Makepeace Thackeray
Henry David Thoreau
Leo Tolstoy
Mark Twain

Old 03-24-2010, 06:36 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,011 times
I like most of the classical authors with some emphasis on the Victorians and 19th century Russians. For modern fiction, I am very fond of Richard Russo, Penelope Liveley, Jane Gardam and, not so high brow, but a fun read-- Alexander McCall, in particular the Botswana series. I also love Faulkner and I think he must be considered classic, although he hasn't been gone so very long. And Peter Mathiessen's "At Play in the Fields of the Lord" was one of the very best books I ever read. I'm now reading his "Shadow Country" and expecting it to be more than very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books