Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,387 times

Advertisements

Not too many people quoting classics:
Shakespeare, how can anyone not love this guy? He's written so many of history's best stories.
HG Wells, the master of science fiction
Aldous Huxley
And for the modern popular author:
Michael Crichton, his books are just fun to read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM

269 posts, read 913,636 times
James Patterson - mystery/thriller
Janet Evanovich - humorous with a touch of mystery
J A Konrath - gotta love a guy who names his books after alcholoic drinks
Nicholas Sparks - sappy good love stories with no vulgarness
Mark Douglas - former FBI profiler

I read a few of Jodi Picculot's and had to quit, those are too heart wrenching for me
I used to read Stewart Woods but he got way to predicatible, and the same with Jonahtan Kellerman

Old 05-30-2009, 05:16 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
One of my all time favorites is Larry McMurtry. Also, James Lee Burke, Rosamund Pilcher, Ann Rule, Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns)

Old 05-30-2009, 09:52 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
for those who enjoy Tom Clancy, check out Brad Thor. Great thrillers, main character is ex-navy seal, secret service and special agent to the president! Also, for mystery with a historical twist, check out Steve Berry. Some light-hearted women mystery detective-types..Diane Mott Davidson and Susan Wittig Albert.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:37 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
One of my all time favorites is Larry McMurtry. Also, James Lee Burke, Rosamund Pilcher, Ann Rule, Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns)
Larry McMurtry is probably my favorite author. A brilliant writer, IMO. I just can't put his books down, except for the Berrybender series.

I also like Amy Tan, another brilliant writer.
Armistead Maupin
Jean Auel

Classics:
Thornton Wilder
Poe
Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
This is a question that really makes me "think", as I have read so many good books over the years. What comes to mind at the moment is Eugenia Price. She did some great historical novels that were set in the Civil War era. She made her characters come to life, and many were based on actual families. One of her titles is "Stranger in Savannah".. I must have read at least 4 or 5 of her books and it resulted in my husband and I planning a trip to Savannah and the Golden Isles. We even visited the church yard on St. Simon Island where Price is burried - along with one of the families that were mentioned in her books.

I also like some of Stephen King's books - I have a few favorites ie, Misery, and Dead Zone. He is kind of a neighbor of mine. He lives about 3 blocks from me.

Right now I am reading some of Ernest Hemingway -as I had read "about" him but never anything he had written. I chose "A Moveable Feast" and found it fascinating about how the artsy group lived in Paris in the 1920s

Old 06-02-2009, 03:28 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Actually I got into reading Jonathan Kellerman when a friend gave me a copy of "Twisted". And it's been so long since I read anything by Leon Uris, I've completely forgotten what it might have been! I do recognize the name, just for the life of me cannot think of the titles of any of his books.
TRINITY by Leon Uris is the first title that comes to my mind.
I will have to google some of his others because I often confuse Uris's titles with the guy that wrote SHOGUN(???)

GL2

Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Favorite authors?
So many I cannot even begin to remember all of them. But here goes:

Larry McMurtry has to top the list. LONESOME DOVE and the others in the series are great. CADILLAC JACK, LEAVING CHEYENNE and so many other titles by him that are outstanding. I have read everything he wrote and I was only disappointed in one and I can't remember that title.

Herman Wouk. THE WINDS OF WAR and WAR AND REMEMBRANCE are must reads. Marjorie Morningstar and others are good also.

Leon Uris. TRINITY, BATTLE CRY, THE ANGRY HILLS, MILA 18 (best Holocaust story ever IMHO).

James Clavell. SHOGUN and KING RAT plus others I can't remember.

James Michener. Almost everything he wrote AFTER his first one hundred or so pages is great.

Joseph Wambaugh. specially his first five or six.

David Baldacci. Everything with WISH YOU WELL being his best change of pace story.

John Grisham. Everything with A PAINTED HOUSE topping the list.

Louis L'Amour. Even better westerns than Zane Grey.

Zane Grey

Isaac Assimov. The FOUNATION series and ROBOT trilogies are perfection.

Frank Herbert DUNE

Phillip Jose Farmer RIVERWORLD.

Robert Heinlen

Ray Bradbury

Niven & Pournelle

Richard Adams WATERSHIP DOWN and others.

Ayn Rand. ATLAS SHRUGGED and THE FOUNTAINHEAD

Upton Sinclair. THE JUNGLE and OIL

John Steinbeck. GRAPES OF WRATH, OF MICE AND MEN and EAST OF EDEN

Orson Scott Card(?) ENDER'S GAME

Give me a six pack of beer and a few hours and I could probably remember a hundred more.

GL2

Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Favorite authors?
So many I cannot even begin to remember all of them. But here goes:

Larry McMurtry has to top the list. LONESOME DOVE and the others in the series are great. CADILLAC JACK, LEAVING CHEYENNE and so many other titles by him that are outstanding. I have read everything he wrote and I was only disappointed in one and I can't remember that title.

Herman Wouk. THE WINDS OF WAR and WAR AND REMEMBRANCE are must reads. Marjorie Morningstar and others are good also.

Leon Uris. TRINITY, BATTLE CRY, THE ANGRY HILLS, MILA 18 (best Holocaust story ever IMHO).

James Clavell. SHOGUN and KING RAT plus others I can't remember.

James Michener. Almost everything he wrote AFTER his first one hundred or so pages is great.

Joseph Wambaugh. specially his first five or six.

David Baldacci. Everything with WISH YOU WELL being his best change of pace story.

John Grisham. Everything with A PAINTED HOUSE topping the list.

Louis L'Amour. Even better westerns than Zane Grey.

Zane Grey

Isaac Assimov. The FOUNATION series and ROBOT trilogies are perfection.

Frank Herbert DUNE

Phillip Jose Farmer RIVERWORLD.

Robert Heinlen

Ray Bradbury

Niven & Pournelle

Richard Adams WATERSHIP DOWN and others.

Ayn Rand. ATLAS SHRUGGED and THE FOUNTAINHEAD

Upton Sinclair. THE JUNGLE and OIL

John Steinbeck. GRAPES OF WRATH, OF MICE AND MEN and EAST OF EDEN

Orson Scott Card(?) ENDER'S GAME

Give me a six pack of beer and a few hours and I could probably remember a hundred more.

GL2
There are a few on your list that are also on mine, as well as some I've read years ago and remember enjoying and some I've never read. I actually printed out your list and plan to take it with me next time I go hunting for books! Thanks!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,871 times
Jodi Picoult and James Patterson

Just realized they are both JP - LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books