Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:08 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Didn't they make a movie out of this?
Did they? If they have, I have never seen it. If there is a movie, I would love to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
Animal Farm
Watership Down

-Favorites from childhood:
Bunnicula
Howliday Inn
The Celery Stalks at Midnight
Nighty Nightmare

Old 07-03-2009, 07:44 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
The series by Christopher Paolini yah it's a dragon but if dogs can talk why not dragons
Ah, he's the one who wrote the Eragon series.

Well now, if dragons are to be included then we absolutely must include the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. The dragons do talk, albeit telepathically, to their riders as well as to each other.

However, I wouldn't call them the main characters; the people are definitely that, although the dragons are the major supporting players.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post

However, I wouldn't call them the main characters; the people are definitely that, although the dragons are the major supporting players.
Ruth got pretty much attention (and his own book!)
But you're right, usually the dragons are supporting characters.
I can't believe how long it's been since the first Pern books came out.
I still occasionally reread them, but The White Dragon is probably my favorite.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:40 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I've enjoyed all the mysteries by Susan Conant. The main character is a dog trainer and writes about dogs. She has several Alaskan Malamutes who are smart and funny.

David Rosenfelt writes legal thrillers that feature dogs and a dog rescue/shelter in NJ.

Dean Koontz has a book that features a Golden Retriever who escapes from a secret gov't laboratory where he was genetically engineered and is as intelligent as a human and can read but not speak and so learns to use scrabble tiles to talk to his new human companion. The gov't is desperately looking for the dog, as is another creature from the lab who hates the dog.

As a kid I loved all the stories about Irish Setters by Jim Kjelgaard

Old 08-02-2009, 10:46 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,735,059 times
"Duncton Wood" by William Horwood. Brilliant book by a gifted writer. It's like a darker version of "Watership Down" only better IMO. There are 6 books in the series. He also wrote "The Wolves Of Time" a 2 book series.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:35 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Jock of the Bushveldt by Percy Fitzpatrick - the true story of a man and his dog in late 19th century South Africa. Jock is brave, loyal, fiercely intelligent and loveable. I fell in love with this book when I got it out of the school library when I was 10 years old and I wish to this day I'd had the nerve to never return it. It is now on my Amazon wishlist.

The Boogie books by Mark Wallington (includes Boogie up the River, 500 Mile Walkies and Boogie up the Pennine Way) - these books are the absolutely hilarious tales of Mark and his energetic, enthusiastic and totally uncontrollable dog Boogie who conspires in every way to make his life hell as he attempts another long-distance trip of some sort that he can then write a truly successful book about.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
"Watership Down" will always be a classic. Richard Adams also wrote "Traveller" which definitely gives a different perspective on the civil war (as told by Robert E Lee's horse).

Old 08-05-2009, 06:29 PM

157 posts, read 446,050 times
I second "The Art of Racing in the Rain" - really enjoyed it!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
These are really children's books,but I know a few adult cat lovers who adore them:

Sci-fi/fantasy writer Ursula LeGuin's Catwings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books