Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:24 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

ASHONE is one of the best books I've read. I think that is a great idea to try it on audible!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 02:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
ASHONE is one of the best books I've read. I think that is a great idea to try it on audible!
What is ASHONE? I googled it and tried looking on Amazon but nothing with that title comes up.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:38 AM

313 posts, read 1,052,926 times
I definitely prefer to read books. But I find audio books serve a purpose. I like to walk for exercise but went through a period where music wasn't doing much for me. My library has a good selection so I gave it a try and enjoyed the experience. I also find audio books good when I have to do boring chores (load the dishwasher, dust, declutter, etc.) but find the tv too much of a distraction.

I do have to use earphones or I can't follow the story. Also, I've found only 'fluff' books work for me. I can't listen to anything with too complex a plot, or with too many characters or I get lost. So I definitely prefer to read but audio books do serve a useful purpose for me.

Last edited by TeaJay; 03-28-2016 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What is ASHONE? I googled it and tried looking on Amazon but nothing with that title comes up.
A Short History of Nearly Everything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A Short History of Nearly Everything.
You will love the narration. Simon Vance is the best!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:34 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,594 times
I generally don't bother with audio books, primarily because the actors' narration feels forced and dull.

Having said that, I did have the pleasure of listening to the BBC's 1981 radio adaptation of Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" with the like of Ian Holm, Robert Stephens and Michael Horden behind the mike. Made for wonderful bedtime reading when I was a teenager.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,790 times
I LOVE audiobooks. They're good for commuting and working out. A 5 mile run without an audiobook would be torture. With the audiobook, I actually look forward to cardio day.

That said, the reader can make all the difference in the world. Good reader=pleasurable experience. Bad reader=excruciating experience.

ANY of the James Lee Burke, Dave Robicheaux novels (audiobooks), read by Will Patton are simply excellent. Karen Russell's Swamplandia, read by David Ackroyd and Ariel Sitirck was simply superb. If you haven't tried audiobooks, start out with that one. They don't get much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books