Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:45 PM

12,205 posts, read 2,961,959 times

Advertisements

Unless you're just going to sit and listen, wouldn't you have to be doing something that the audiobook doesn't distract you from? I mean what about driving and listening? I'd miss gaps in the book because I was concentrating on not getting run into or getting through a busy intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,647 times
I much prefer a regular book but am so grateful there are audio books available for my Mom who is 89 and has glaucoma. She has been a reader all her life and it was a huge loss for her not being able to read. She had to get adjusted to the audio books but now enjoys them, like many have mentioned she says the reader makes all the difference. She just sits and listens but she did say at times she will doze off.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:34 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times
I tend to hate whoever is reading the book. Maybe I just don't like listening.
Plus you can't skim.

I don't know. I don't like it. I'll only do it if I'm walking or something for exercise.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:42 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I don't think that one is better than the other. It depends on the reader and what he/she likes.
I prefer reading it myself because I can imagine the voice of the characters.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 PM

522 posts, read 715,343 times
Never tried an audio book. I will stick with paper.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Both.

I love listening to mystery/suspense audiobooks. A murder scene described instead of read? Awesome. It does depend on the narration.

For example, I am listening to this mystery set in England. The 1st chapter starts with a boy who is attempting suicide and the main character is trying to talk him down. I am riveted. It's the same narrator and he somehow makes a 40 year old man and a 15 year old boy sound like two people.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:51 AM

446 posts, read 709,116 times
If you're an Amazon Prime member (good deal, btw) you can get a free three month Audible trial.

So you can see for yourself if you like listening to a book.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,884,541 times
Try a free download from your library. That way if you don't like it, you haven't wasted $$$

I don't care for audio books, they read too slowly. If it's downloaded, you can speed the playback up. But I read REALLY fast.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Try a free download from your library. That way if you don't like it, you haven't wasted $$$

I don't care for audio books, they read too slowly. If it's downloaded, you can speed the playback up. But I read REALLY fast.
I find they read slower than I do with a book.

Ok I tried about 4 (from the library) and I find I like non fiction on audio better than fiction (which is primarily what I read). Which is kind of cool, because I get to learn some stuff (at the gym) and not push aside story time (before I sleep).

Win, win.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-26-2016, 08:24 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
I have grown to love listening to audio books. I started with nonfiction then moved on to true crime and fiction.

The narrator makes or breaks an audio book. My favorite is Simon Vance, AKA Richard Matthews. He did A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. That is a wonderful audio book on the history of science. I bought it on Audible and listen to it often. I highly recommend it. Anything narrated by Simon Vance is worth a try.

I check out a lot of audio books from my public library via Overdrive. You can also check out Kindle or epub books through Overdrive. Sometimes I check out both versions of the same book and listen during the day, then find my place and read at night. Either way I am never without a book and there's no more overdue fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books