Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:06 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Oh I agree. I have a confession to make. I didn't finish the first Lord of The Rings.
Look, I understand the beauty of Tolkien's words, I appreciate descriptive writing, but I guess I must be slightly ADD, because I simply don't have the patience to read through gazillion pages of him describing the forest. I need more dialogue.

On the other hand, A Game of Thrones has everything. Great dialogue and the descriptive writing. He creates the entire world in such depth and beauty and at the same time keeps me on my toes the whole time.

Love the first book. Can't wait to read another one.
If the only thing "A Game of Thrones" has is great dialogue and descriptive writing I see why it's so highly rated. Does no one care about characters and plot anymore? Shouldn't these be the hallmarks for what makes a great novel? It seems like people are just randomly piling praise on GRRM simply because he creates good atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 12:18 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
If the only thing "A Game of Thrones" has is great dialogue and descriptive writing I see why it's so highly rated. Does no one care about characters and plot anymore? Shouldn't these be the hallmarks for what makes a great novel? It seems like people are just randomly piling praise on GRRM simply because he creates good atmosphere.
Have you read the book?

The fact that it has a whole set of great characters and a captivating plot goes without saying. It's pretty much given for a good book and I didn't feel like I needed to verbalize it.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Martin's series is noted for its great characters and compelling plot.

I think the last book lost some steam. Martin is suffering from letting his plot get in the way of his story -- and I rather suspect he's getting burned out. If it's taken him 6 years to finish the next book, it should either be the best thing he's ever written, or he's just tired of it. I'm afraid he's getting tired of it.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Martin's series is noted for its great characters and compelling plot.

I think the last book lost some steam. Martin is suffering from letting his plot get in the way of his story -- and I rather suspect he's getting burned out. If it's taken him 6 years to finish the next book, it should either be the best thing he's ever written, or he's just tired of it. I'm afraid he's getting tired of it.
Are the characters really great or are fans simply doing what they do when they're a fan of something and overhype it like crazy? I say it's the latter. I don't see what's so great about one dimensional characters like Ned, Catelynn, Robb, Bran, Jon, Sansa and Arya? You can make the case that some of them are more interesting to read like Tyrion and Arya, but they're still on the thin side in terms of character development. I can go on and on about all the problems in the books. People seem to ignore all the faults and inflate what they like in the books to gigantic proportions.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Are the characters really great or are fans simply doing what they do when they're a fan of something and overhype it like crazy? I say it's the latter. I don't see what's so great about one dimensional characters like Ned, Catelynn, Robb, Bran, Jon, Sansa and Arya? You can make the case that some of them are more interesting to read like Tyrion and Arya, but they're still on the thin side in terms of character development. I can go on and on about all the problems in the books. People seem to ignore all the faults and inflate what they like in the books to gigantic proportions.
I disagree about main characters being one dimensional, however, you are entitled to your opinion. Not everyone likes the same things, especially when it comes to books.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
It's a matter of genre comparison, I think. Compared to most Fantasy series, Martin's characters are breath of fresh air. But keep in mind that in most Fantasy series, the main characters are scarcely one-dimensional.

Martin's world-building also has one foot firmly planted in reality, in terms not only of the politics, weapons, etc., but especially in terms of culture and the way people behave. Too often in Fantasy, you feel like you're at a Renn Faire and that between chapters the characters are hopping off to Starbuck's.

That being said, most of Martin's cast isn't anything remarkable. It's still a very plot-driven story, as opposed to character-driven. And Martin's years working in television have made him a master of pacing and very good at allowing dialogue and action to tell the story rather than relying solely upon narration.

So, no, he's certainly no Cormac McCarthy. But in the Fantasy genre, he's one of the best things going right now.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Default Dragon Time

Well, he says it's finally *really* coming.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011: A Dance With Dragons

Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Well, he says it's finally *really* coming.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011: A Dance With Dragons
ah sweet god, PLEASE let this be it!! I may go now to preorder it on Amazon if I can! will definitely need to reread the first 4 books for a refresher

Old 03-08-2011, 03:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
will definitely need to reread the first 4 books for a refresher
Me too.
They are pretty dense and not to be rushed through, it will take awhile.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ah sweet god, PLEASE let this be it!! I may go now to preorder it on Amazon if I can! will definitely need to reread the first 4 books for a refresher
And that is a big issue with me. When I was reading the first 4 books, I had a difficult time keeping it all straight. I don't see any way I can pick up the threads from the newest book, having read the previous book over a year ago.

I'm contemplating just waiting until he finishes the entire series and then starting from book 1.

In any case, I agree that the characters are much more than one-dimensional. It's plot driven, but with numerous memorable and well-rounded characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books