Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 37,063 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I know, I know, this has been beaten to death, but heck, I'll ask anyway. We’re thinking about moving to Boise and would like to get some feedback. We’ve lived on and off in Eastern Idaho for the past 12 years. I grew up in New York, went to school in Syracuse (want to say a hello to some of the folks who posted on here from Syracuse - Go Orange!), and man alive, the winters in Eastern Idaho are so coooooold when compared to upstate NY!

About 2 years ago we were thinking about Boise, but I took a job in my wife's home state of California (Valley in the 70's/80's - like totally, Simi/Moorpark) before we had a chance to fully investigate Boise. Prior to moving to Cali we did make some trips out there and really enjoyed ourselves.

We're in the health care and fitness industry and are self-employed folks. I’m writing to find out some things about the community. I’ll list some of our questions as follows - I know, I know - redundancy, but I'm thick-headed:

1) I’ve heard that the economy isn’t as good as it use to be due to some of the big companies downsizing, leaving, or closing up. Is it difficult to get by living there? I’ve run into a few people who use to live in Boise, but had to move due to their job being terminated. Based on what I’ve researched and patient's I've spoken with in the Bay area, the cost of living's more affordable there, but at the same time how are the wages and economic forecast?

2) Another question I have to ask is religion-based. Don't get me wrong, I love all people, but when it comes to the sake of my business and ability to thrive or die, I have to ask. Over in Eastern Idaho, LDS is the predominate religion which affected my business being that I’m not Mormon. How influential is the church in Boise? I felt a strong clique (either you’re in or you’re out) in Eastern Idaho and always felt like and outsider. Also, I’ve heard that Meridian has a higher percentage of LDS, any comments, any other areas with high concentration?

3) How’s the housing market? Of those people I’ve spoken with, a few have based the economy solely on house prices. To me, the economy is a lot more than that.

4) We’re kind of outdoorsy people. We bike, run, hike, camp, fish, ski, and do all that kind of stuff. We lived in Boulder Colorado for a while and loved the adventure, but didn’t care too much for the people there. Just to give you an idea of our activity level. Based on what I’ve seen, it seems a lot of people in Boise use to live in Boulder and a lot of the California cities we’ve lived.

5) Anything else anyone wants to toss in there or mention about the city would be great.

Thanks,
jj

ps 1
Free cookies to all if you reply back

ps 2
I promise to update this if we do move to Boise and let people know how things have turned out. If I don't, you can throw your cookie crumbs at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM

25 posts, read 78,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbarnone View Post
Howdy,

I know, I know, this has been beaten to death, but heck, I'll ask anyway. We’re thinking about moving to Boise and would like to get some feedback. We’ve lived on and off in Eastern Idaho for the past 12 years. I grew up in New York, went to school in Syracuse (want to say a hello to some of the folks who posted on here from Syracuse - Go Orange!), and man alive, the winters in Eastern Idaho are so coooooold when compared to upstate NY!

About 2 years ago we were thinking about Boise, but I took a job in my wife's home state of California (Valley in the 70's/80's - like totally, Simi/Moorpark) before we had a chance to fully investigate Boise. Prior to moving to Cali we did make some trips out there and really enjoyed ourselves.

We're in the health care and fitness industry and are self-employed folks. I’m writing to find out some things about the community. I’ll list some of our questions as follows - I know, I know - redundancy, but I'm thick-headed:

1) I’ve heard that the economy isn’t as good as it use to be due to some of the big companies downsizing, leaving, or closing up. Is it difficult to get by living there? I’ve run into a few people who use to live in Boise, but had to move due to their job being terminated. Based on what I’ve researched and patient's I've spoken with in the Bay area, the cost of living's more affordable there, but at the same time how are the wages and economic forecast?

2) Another question I have to ask is religion-based. Don't get me wrong, I love all people, but when it comes to the sake of my business and ability to thrive or die, I have to ask. Over in Eastern Idaho, LDS is the predominate religion which affected my business being that I’m not Mormon. How influential is the church in Boise? I felt a strong clique (either you’re in or you’re out) in Eastern Idaho and always felt like and outsider. Also, I’ve heard that Meridian has a higher percentage of LDS, any comments, any other areas with high concentration?

3) How’s the housing market? Of those people I’ve spoken with, a few have based the economy solely on house prices. To me, the economy is a lot more than that.

4) We’re kind of outdoorsy people. We bike, run, hike, camp, fish, ski, and do all that kind of stuff. We lived in Boulder Colorado for a while and loved the adventure, but didn’t care too much for the people there. Just to give you an idea of our activity level. Based on what I’ve seen, it seems a lot of people in Boise use to live in Boulder and a lot of the California cities we’ve lived.

5) Anything else anyone wants to toss in there or mention about the city would be great.

Thanks,
jj

ps 1

ps 2
I promise to update this if we do move to Boise and let people know how things have turned out. If I don't, you can throw your cookie crumbs at me.

First off let me say that if you are in the health care field, you shouldn't have any problems finding a job here--anything else and you're in for a lot of fierce competition.
We moved here last summer because of the nice weather, relatively low cost of living and low housing prices. Luckily, the job market was not a consideration since, as a writer, I mainly work from home.

The wages in Boise, just like everywhere else in the country, have obviously not kept up with the ever-increasing cost of living. That being said, I heard that several of the bigger companies(Micron, HP) in the Boise area have started hiring again--which seems to be a good sign. I have also noticed that houses in our neighborhood(W Boise) have been selling faster, and at or slightly below asking price.

As far as Meridian is concerned: it does, indeed, have a higher concentration of LDS churches than any other part of Boise. I don't know the exact numbers, but I always thought that they were a little on the low side. Our neighborhood in West Boise sort of borders on Meridian and we have several LDS neighbors. While they are polite and friendly, they usually stick to themselves. When we moved in last summer, we were immediately "checked out" and invited to church, but they realized quickly that we were not exactly "church material" (too liberal). Now our main contact consists of a wave when we drive by.
Looking back on it now, I wish we would have rented first and familiarized ourselves a little more with the various neighborhoods in Boise. It didn't take us long to realize that the North End would have been a much better fit for us!

As far as the outdoors are concerned: you couldn't be in a better place! There everything here from skiing to hiking, mountain biking, rafting, you name it.

Also, let me mention that the Boise downtown area is absolutely awesome. There's a great night life scene, wonderful restaurants, etc...it's one of the things we really like about Boise. There is also a lot to do for families; there's a great Zoo, wonderful parks, the Discovery Center and all kinds of other activities--Boise is definitely a family town.

The only negatives I can think of are the frequent inversions--especially in the winter (more gloomy days than London!) and the traffic congestion (worse than the Hollywood Freeway).
Hope this helps a little.
Ann

Old 04-23-2010, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 36,071 times
was wondering if the gloomy days could be worse than here in seattle. was hoping to retire there but the gloom here is getting to me.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:37 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,912,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retirednana View Post
was wondering if the gloomy days could be worse than here in seattle. was hoping to retire there but the gloom here is getting to me.
Not even close to the gloomy days in Seattle. The gloomy days in Boise are few and far between. The inversions during winter have been mild the past few years and Boise is known for its sunny blue skies. There may be so much sun that you will wish for a few gloomy days, although, we are in our spring rainy season right now which turns the foothills above the city a beautiful shade of green.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM

102 posts, read 338,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbarnone View Post
Howdy,

Thanks,
jj

ps 1

ps 2
Hi jj =)

So...I posted a thread on here looking for information on the climate there as well....I am a business owner (tattoo shop), so, knowing the influence the LDS had on the area was important for me as well. I did a lot of market research using social networking sites and talking to dozens of people that actually live in the Boise/Meridian/Caldwell/Nampa areas...I have to say that almost all of them believed a shop would do well...when I mentioned the LDS influence- i can't tell you how many people responded saying that there have been so many California transplants in that area that any influence that was there has been heavily diluted. Have you checked out the website for Meridians Chamber of Commerce?

I have also heard people compare Boise to Walnut Creek, CA.

Good luck on your hunt!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM

25 posts, read 78,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Not even close to the gloomy days in Seattle. The gloomy days in Boise are few and far between. The inversions during winter have been mild the past few years and Boise is known for its sunny blue skies. There may be so much sun that you will wish for a few gloomy days, although, we are in our spring rainy season right now which turns the foothills above the city a beautiful shade of green.
I didn't know Boise was known for its sunny blue skies. I agree that Seattle has by far more gloomier days than Boise, but I found this last winter to be pretty depressing. :P

Old 04-23-2010, 04:30 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,712,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retirednana View Post
Not comparable at all. I moved here from the PacNW.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,840,496 times
The survey-derived data I can find on the web suggests the % of self-identified "LDS adherents" in the Boise metro area appears to be less than half of the rate found in eastern Idaho in general and maybe as low as a third. Whether that is accurate, I can't venture a view; it could be affected by the degree of adherence. I'd guess that the rate is probably higher among couples with children. lower among singles; so if your business comes more from one type of household or the other that may affect the LDS representation in your potential business market.

The weather data I see says Boise gets about half the snow of Pocatello in part because of the elevation difference.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-23-2010 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,496,407 times
Once you make it to May it won't rain again until September. Boise gets less rain in the summer than Phoenix does.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,131 times
I don't think that Boise is anything like Walnut Creek. Possibly the weather but that is about it. Walnut creek has more hills and trees surrounding it. From what I gathered in my time there Walnut creek seemed to have a lot more "money" or at least people displaying that they have money/pretending to (whatever their motive may be). The people here and there are both very nice. Walnut creek is surrounded by large cities though. I dunno, they are both nice places I lived in Vacaville CA (about 45min from Walnut Creek) and my wife and i would drive down there to shop and hang out all the time. They just had different vibes but thats just me.

I'm also in the medical field and the market is much easier to find openings than other career fields. At least it seems that way. My wife got lucky and transferred to a job here with her bank so that was easy.

And as far as the LDS experiences, i haven't really ran into any issues of being shunned or an outsider here in boise. Hell, i think i've only met 2 people who i KNOW are LDS and thats only because we were on a discussion about religion. Other than that none of my neighbors have said anything, coworkers, etc. i was concerned about it when i moved but it seems non existant.

Phoenix still has more blue skies IMO...i grew up in phoenix and now reside in boise. Even with the pollution in phoenix the skies are still more clear. Even on sunny days here there seems to be a light haze making it look kind of dirty.

The reason the statistics may show that Phoenix gets more summer precipitation is due to the monsoon (most of August). But don't forget the summers in AZ are much longer. While we are enjoying our 65 degree weather lately, it has been 90 degrees already for much of April in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area