Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post

"construction is really all there is here for an industry"
I'm good with you sharing opinions but please be more clear that it's a very subjective opinion, not stated as fact. Let's avoid making blatantly false statements just to add drama.

Largest Employers by State

Note that of the top 50 in Idaho, 21 are in Boise (OK, 20 in Boise and Blue Cross in Meridian). I don't see building contractors anywhere in there.

Micron: #1 @ 15,000
USAF: #2 @ 5,231
Mtn Home AFB (listed separately from USAF): #3 @ 5,000
BSU #4 @ 4,834
St Luke's Hospital: #5 @ 4,533
Military: #6 @ 3,500
St Alphonsus Medical: #7 @ 3,000
Dept Health/Welfare: #11 @ 2,000
Water Center: #12 @ 2,000
Idaho Dept Trans: #20 @ 1,000
Boise Payroll #24 @ 900
HP: #27 @ 900
IDACORP: #28 @ 900
Highway Administration: #34 @ 800
Motive Power: #36 @ 800
Idaho Elks Rehap Hospital: #38 @ 750
Transportation Dept: #39 @ 750
Health & Welfare Board: #42 @700
Highway Operations: #43 @ 700
Bogus Basin: #45 @650
YMCA: #47 @630
Blue Cross of Idaho (Meridian...close enough): #49 @600
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Live in Boise, Sage?

Recall how many Micron employees were laid off since 2007? Or in the tech industry in general?

It's no secret to anyone that real estate drove the Boise economy from 2000-2007. When real estate crashed so did the valley's #1 source of employment. What we're left with are:

1. Micron (a shadow of its former self, despite having reported record profits);
2. the hospitals - certainly a good employer, if you can get it;
3. Government - good luck cracking that nut

And what else? a few hundred jobs here and there at isolated employers.

Your facts are numbers, and that's it. They have no context; they tell no story. Ask anyone that lives in Boise (and has) that real estate/construction didn't drive the economy.

(BTW, USAF and Mtn Home AFB aren't in Boise - they're 50 miles away)

Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
HP1167,

You know where I live. Don't get snarky. Don't post blatantly misleading info or you'll be finding your posts deleted or edited.

It's fine to say that real estate drove the economy. It drove/fueled/propelled the economy in many/most growing areas, North Idaho to South Idaho. There may well have been construction companies in the top-100 employers in Idaho prior to 2007. The point is that we're talking about jobs NOW, in 2010.

I even agree with you that the clear majority of jobs are military/governmental and medical-field oriented. And I agree that both of those are a tough nut to crack. That truly does make job hunting difficult, and I would not imply differently.

Saying that the valley's #1 source of employment took a huge hit with the housing market crash is fine. Telling a potential newcomer seeking information on CDF that construction is the only employment is not. Simple as that.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 PM

21 posts, read 79,853 times
I agree with Sage of Sagle on this debate. Yes, for awhile real estate and home construction did fuel local economic expansion. Still, even at its peak employment in these economic sectors was dwarfed by health care, government and high tech. It looked to me at the time that the trigger for this current recession was the global sharp slump in demand for computer and other high tech hardware components, particularly memory chips.

It would be interesting for someone with access to the actual data to compare total real estate and construction employment to employment in the other leading economic sectors in the Treasure Valley in, perhaps, 2006 and 2010. That may be the only way to settle this debate.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:58 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUEcon81 View Post
I agree with Sage of Sagle on this debate. Yes, for awhile real estate and home construction did fuel local economic expansion. Still, even at its peak employment in these economic sectors was dwarfed by health care, government and high tech. It looked to me at the time that the trigger for this current recession was the global sharp slump in demand for computer and other high tech hardware components, particularly memory chips.

It would be interesting for someone with access to the actual data to compare total real estate and construction employment to employment in the other leading economic sectors in the Treasure Valley in, perhaps, 2006 and 2010. That may be the only way to settle this debate.
In MY OPINION...

Health care and government have remained somewhat steady, with a slight uptick over the past decades.

When Boise Cascade and other related timber/ag/manufacturing jobs left the void was filled by tech, and then subsequently by development/real estate/construction.

What's left now besides the remains of tech and a burgeoning service industry (retail, call centers)?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM

114 posts, read 288,311 times
What should also be considered is the overall job situation Nationwide. It is less than encouraging news everywhere, and the bulk of employement is unskilled part-time work. Now may not be a good time for anyone to make a major move by relocating. Most people will find that trying to take care of a family on a little better than minimum wage may prove just as difficult as it is in their present location, with the added stress of re-establishing your life in general. Relocating is at the top of the stress list with death and divorce. Just hang in there, better times are coming and opportunities will once again abound...See HP, the glass can be half full if you choose!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:54 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
I'm with Hp1167 on this one.

Boise is DOMINATED by the development and real estate based industries. Construction is DEAD here.

This forum used to be crawling with realtors. Haven't seen one since the beginning of the year.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingfan View Post
What should also be considered is the overall job situation Nationwide. It is less than encouraging news everywhere, and the bulk of employement is unskilled part-time work. Now may not be a good time for anyone to make a major move by relocating. Most people will find that trying to take care of a family on a little better than minimum wage may prove just as difficult as it is in their present location, with the added stress of re-establishing your life in general. Relocating is at the top of the stress list with death and divorce. Just hang in there, better times are coming and opportunities will once again abound...See HP, the glass can be half full if you choose!!!
Exactly. Boise mirrors the current national economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
In MY OPINION...

Health care and government have remained somewhat steady, with a slight uptick over the past decades.

When Boise Cascade and other related timber/ag/manufacturing jobs left the void was filled by tech, and then subsequently by development/real estate/construction.

What's left now besides the remains of tech and a burgeoning service industry (retail, call centers)?
Just curious, in an inquisitive way, what Boise Cascade jobs left Boise? I have a friend who works in that huge building downtown for Boise Inc. the one that says Boise Plaza on the side and houses hundreds of employees in office jobs. Was there a Boise Cascade lumber mill in Boise at one time?

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 11-01-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: currant is now current

Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUEcon81 View Post

Well stated. I understand that health care is a bright spot in the valley and is growing. The Core in Meridian seems to be taking off, and what this has attracted and will attract in the future is really good for the valley. www.thecore.com

Banking offers a lot of employment in Boise, there are some national and regional banking loan centers in town and one of them has expansion plans.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:32 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
One thing that has not been brought up is how many people in Boise that have jobs but who know that if they lose their job will not find a similar position in the area. Every person that I have met who works at HP is nervous because they know that they will have to move out of town to find work. One of my friends does some recruiting for Micron and they have a hard time finding workers from out of town because they know if they get downsized they are stuck in Boise with no other firms that need their skills.

Guess that is the dirty little secret in Boise that nobody brings up. If either myself or my wife lose our job there is literally no other place in Boise that needs our respective skills. I really like living in Boise, but dread ever having to look for work anytime in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area