Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 01:02 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,825,984 times

Advertisements

I really don't see this public transit system working. We just don't have the population density in any part of the metro area to warrant it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 01:15 PM

10,528 posts, read 7,198,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I really don't see this public transit system working. We just don't have the population density in any part of the metro area to warrant it.
I don't know. Was there a study attached to it? Birmingham had quite a transit system until the 1950s, until the city unwisely decided to ditch it. I have an interesting book detailing the hundreds of miles of streetcar routes that were quite viable.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:20 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,300,019 times
Quote:

I feel like the proposed BRT system is a good step, though. It's not a huge shift in what riders are already used to. It's still buses on roads. Just newer and more modern technology. And I imagine this East-West route through the city already sort of exists with the current bus system. This simply increases the efficiency.

Now if we were talking light or heavy rail up or down 280, I'd agree with you... don't think we're anywhere near that yet.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 PM

509 posts, read 625,568 times
Starting to think a lot of people in Birmingham prefer the status quo. People are complaining about TopGolf and now the Bus Rapid Transit system. Do some of you not realize that ACCESS to public transportation is the reason Birmingham misses a lot of events, companies, etc.? Smh.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:36 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,825,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Starting to think a lot of people in Birmingham prefer the status quo. People are complaining about TopGolf and now the Bus Rapid Transit system. Do some of you not realize that ACCESS to public transportation is the reason Birmingham misses a lot of events, companies, etc.? Smh.
Show me a city or metro area with a population density in the same realm as Birmingham's that has a public transportation system that is effective.

I rest my case.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:27 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,510,437 times
Quote:
Show me a city or metro area with a population density in the same realm as Birmingham's that has a public transportation system that is effective.

I rest my case.
Actually there are quite a few. Salt Lake City immediately comes to mind. They not only have BRT but a functional LRT system is in operation. Also Jacksonville is another one that I can think of with a functional mass transit system as well. Oh yeah, Jacksonville municipal and metropolitan area density are lower than Birmingham. So that would be yeah there other city and metro with similar density as Birmingham that has a functional mass transit systems.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,510,437 times
Quote:
I agree and the funny thing is I was apart if the necessary study, analysis, and application that was prepared to be awarded the federal TIGER grant. It funny hearing there is no demand, but the ridership had gone up with BJCTA MAX since the realignment of existing bus routes and the creation of the express routes along US 280 & Downtown to the Airport. This is funny indeed because I feel like some naysayers don't want Birmingham to grow and change for the better.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:49 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,448,349 times
Quote:
Lol and the BRT system is actually better and more convenient for Birmingham instead of light rail. It’s a decent move...

Old 11-02-2017, 08:03 PM

The mindset is like being a millionaire and NEVER wanting to eat something outside of noodles. To my knowledge, Birmingham is the most underutilized city in this country. Do people not realize that the lack of reliable public transit alone, could potentially be the sole reason Amazon overlooks Birmingham?

Here's the deal, either get behind the city or prepare to be represented by Huntsville, which doesn't even have a legitimate skyline nor a proper interstate system.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:07 PM

People that are in Los Angeles, Miami, and Atlanta seem to have more passion for their city (Birmingham) on this board than the people currently living in Birmingham. That is an issue by itself. Birmingham has the unique situation to do things right, and their current citizens start talking regression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area