Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2006, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 21,986 times

Advertisements

Greetings from the mainland-Northern Minnesota, to be exact. I lived in Hawaiian Acres in the 80's and long to return. I just returned from a two week visit in March. I am wondering how many folks are online there now. I was shocked to walk into a friends home there (screen house) to see a computer! Wow-life surely is never static. Change happens, and I hope the changes in the Acres are positive. If there is anyone out there who would be interested in chatting occasionally, I would love that. Aloha from the land of snow and ice-and of course, the land of ten thousand lakes. Mahalo for reading, Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2006, 05:16 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,945 times
Smile re; Hawaiian Acres

Aloha from Puna, land of rain, rainbows, puka's and us Punatics! I lived in the Acres in 1991-92, on "G", moved back here in '99. All of Puna is growing, changing rapidly, mostly for the good, except for the traffic, crime is down, jobs are up. I now live in Leilani, love it here. There is a very active forum on Removed that is all about living here, moving here, local news, events and some debate. Some members live in Hawaiian Acres. I know what you mean about having a computer in a screenhouse, I know people here with a computer that are living in a tent! Maybe see you on punaweb. L.G.

Last edited by Yac; 04-15-2006 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-23-2006, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 21,986 times
Default Back Atcha

Hey Leilani Guy, thanks for posting. How is it where you live? How do you make a living? I'm a registered nurse and my husband is a CDL driver. Do you think our incomes would qualify us for affordable living in Puna these days? I long to live that healthy lifestyle again. When winter arrives here in the Northland, part of me dies. I dislike the cold intensely, and do not engage in outdoor activities for at least six months of the year! I detest this! Anyway, I would like to hear from others about the feasability of relocation, hints, things to think about, etc. I am already familiar with moving there to a point, since I did this in the eighties, but I realize things have changed also. Mahalo, Dee

Old 04-24-2006, 04:22 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,945 times
Default Living in Puna

Aloha Dee. I live at the top of Leilani, so very wet rainforest is where we live, but lush and tropical, and cooler than the lowlands. Right now I'm semi-retired, but not sure how long that will last with the price of gas (and everything else) going up. As of today gas went up 14 more cents to about $3.50 a gallon. There is lots of work for anyone in the health field, as many of the newcomers are retirees, and 2 clinics in Puna at Keaau and Pahoa, which would save you from commuting to Hilo (we're starting to experience rush hour gridlock here). As far as trucking, Ive heard that drivers here are not paid anything close to parity with the mainland, but there are other opportunities, especially in construction trades. Groceries are about 30% higher than mainland, but the weekend farmers markets are a bargain and we swap our homegrown produce and fruit with our friends and neighbors which helps a lot. Rent here starts at around $1000 mo. for a small stock mainland style house, but you already know that you don't necessarliy have to live in a "real" house at all here. Lots of folks are camping while they slowly build their homes. Last year land prices soared to 10 times what it was just a few years ago, but prices are starting to drop somewhat. There is a new shopping center in Pahoa that's great, and a new one coming to Keaau soon, which also will save gas. There is also a new airline that flies direct from Oakland to Hilo, making the trip here much quicker and easier. A *** hou, L.G.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 33,410 times
I have 3 acres on 8 rd in hawaiian acres and am looking at building a castleblock package home there this spring, never been there just lucked on to a partner who had the lot and want's to build a house to sell . I am a Artist remodoler who specializes in using recycled local materials, artists and natural products , My goal is to produce affordable quality natural environments that enhance the homes surroundings, and making them affordable for everyone. Custom and beautiful should not have to mean expensive.
I have a talented crew made up of woodworkers, metal workers, artists, people who love what they do and do it for the love of the end product.
I own a three acre parcel in Hawiian acres and am looking to build and sell a $350K 1500 -2000sq ft home there this spring. I am interested in local artists, builders, contractors, or information to help with the construction of the home.
culture, natural products and arts combined for affordable housing by people who actually love what they do.
Thank You
Danny Strong

Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,957 times
Wink Anybody out there??!!

Aloha!

My name is Debbie, and I was a res. in the Acres back in the 80's. Lived on 3 at G. Used to sing with The Belle Sisters group that was formed right there in the Acs. Love some contact!!

Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,474 times
I am looking for a physical address for lot 5076, it was or is owned by Emilio Olesse JR.
Can anyone help me?

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-13-2010 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: for safety concerns, please do not post your e mail addy

Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Call the homeowner's association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: