Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:52 PM

83 posts, read 128,553 times

Advertisements

I need to know what any of y'all know about the differences between the two adjacent areas.
I'm looking to see if there are any advantages living in either area.
I must have a high speed internet connection for work (no satellite internet too slow).
If there are any other areas that have access to high speed internet I would like to hear of those too.
Are there any areas of Hawaiian Paradise Park that have high speed internet access?
Thanks to all for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 01:55 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Beaches has smaller lots (in general) and no CCR's at all. Your neighbor could, the day after you purchase your place, decide that raising fighting roosters is his new hobby.
Shores has CCR's, though not real restrictive, and generally larger lots.

Utilize google street view to cruise down the streets and you will quickly see what I am talking about.

Right now, with the state of the current lava flow, I wouldn't be looking into purchasing ANYTHING from HPP/Orchidland/Ainlaloa, etc, and South or East of any of those subdivisions.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:32 PM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
Disclaimer: I do not live on the BI (yet).

But I hope to. I came across this in my research and it may be of help to you. Just understand I don't know how up to date it is or how accurate.

Where To Move

It's essentially a table of the different Puna subdivisions and what they have/don't have in regards to HOA's, county water, paved roads, type of internet (if any), etc... It's a good start to get an idea of the subdivision but more research should be done.

As someone else who needs reliable high speed 'net I can tell you one thing seems certain from my research: even if an area has cable 'net doesn't mean your going to be able to get it. Almost like a crap shoot. I would recommend using the search function on this site and the one I linked above to read all about it.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Beaches has smaller lots (in general) and no CCR's at all. Your neighbor could, the day after you purchase your place, decide that raising fighting roosters is his new hobby.
Shores has CCR's, though not real restrictive, and generally larger lots.
---------------------
OK thats good to know.

Utilize google street view to cruise down the streets and you will quickly see what I am talking about.
---------------------
On a few homes I like because they are in a "private area" I can't see the home or the area around it.

Right now, with the state of the current lava flow, I wouldn't be looking into purchasing ANYTHING from HPP/Orchidland/Ainlaloa, etc, and South or East of any of those subdivisions.
-------------------
Yea I'm going to wait and see what happens. I saw in a video of one of the lava flow meetings a map showing possible areas it may flow looked like between Hawaiian beaches and HPP. But it can't find it anywhere on the web or the HVO maps. I know it's only a predection but I'd like to see the whole map.

I hope this doesn't get real bad because I love the whole Pahoa area and the Hawaiian culture.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:08 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.vick View Post
...On a few homes I like because they are in a "private area" I can't see the home or the area around it...
Then those houses are probably in Hawaiian Shores Rec, an altogether different part of the area, which has some strict CCR's and had a royal fit back when google came around for street view, forcing them to remove the images. The board there will really nit-pick people at times. Try Bing maps. Rotate the view (in the upper right) to see what gives the best clarity.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM

17 posts, read 41,733 times
J-Vick and 67cam I can't add much more to the description of the areas, since the other people in this forum are right on. I can give some advise about high speed internet, I am a real estate agent and I show a lot of people that will be working from home. I have clients that call internet providers while we are out looking at home to verify if the service is provided. You don't have to be in the home to get this verified, you can do it using the property address. Once you get on island you can do speed test as various home, once again something my clients to. Better yet, have the current home owners preform a speed test for you. If you advise them that a purchase is dependent on that, I am sure they will do it, I have yet to have one seller tell me no. Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilo Girl View Post
J-Vick and 67cam I can't add much more to the description of the areas, since the other people in this forum are right on. I can give some advise about high speed internet, I am a real estate agent and I show a lot of people that will be working from home. I have clients that call internet providers while we are out looking at home to verify if the service is provided. You don't have to be in the home to get this verified, you can do it using the property address. Once you get on island you can do speed test as various home, once again something my clients to. Better yet, have the current home owners preform a speed test for you. If you advise them that a purchase is dependent on that, I am sure they will do it, I have yet to have one seller tell me no. Hope this helps.
Thanks HiloGirl, I'll make sure to add that to my growing BIkipedia file!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks very much Hilo Girl for the info.
Please send me a direct message with your contact info.
I want to speak with you if you need another client.
Thanks

Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 AM

252 posts, read 659,312 times
We have a home in Hawaiian shores Rec. and high speed internet is from Oceanic Time warner - and there were easy to get. Telcom also provides internet but they are extremely hard to get on due to no open ports.

Hmmm maybe not now with the current lava flow and people moving out etc. I may have to give them a call and see if I can switch would prefer Telcom I think over Time Warner. Reason being I can get a faster speed for a lower rate and have the landline included.

We both work from home so internet is a must.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
We have a home in Hawaiian shores Rec. and high speed internet is from Oceanic Time warner - and there were easy to get. Telcom also provides internet but they are extremely hard to get on due to no open ports.

Hmmm maybe not now with the current lava flow and people moving out etc. I may have to give them a call and see if I can switch would prefer Telcom I think over Time Warner. Reason being I can get a faster speed for a lower rate and have the landline included.

We both work from home so internet is a must.
Not to hijack this thread but in the news today I saw Comcast is trying to buy Time Warner... It would give Comcast something like 45% of the market (might be more or less, just going from memory). If it happens it will be interesting to see the impact, especially on the BI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island