Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 02:38 AM

857 posts, read 958,698 times

Advertisements

Ideally with easy access. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:53 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Every beach in Hawaii is a public beach, but there aren't many very close to Pahoa. The geology is too recent; the shoreline is almost all cliffs that haven't had time to break down into beaches yet. But you are pretty close to one of the most famous beaches in Hawaii - Punalu'u, the black sand beach. It's southwest of there. Pretty nice swimming beach, and decent snorkeling. You can easily find it on Google. And take your camera; you'll see tons of turtles.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Um Punalu'u is hardly close to Puna, it's more than an hour away.

I would suggest the tide pools down in Kapoho, good snorkeling, but no sandy beach.
A lot of people swim at Isaac Hale park, and at the hot Pond between those two.

Your closest sandy beach is probably in Hilo.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Heck, there's some halfway decent places to swim and splash around in Hilo which is way closer than Punalu'u.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:40 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
If Puna had big white sandy beaches, none of us could afford to live there. The lack of ocean access and lack of lovely beaches is a large part of the reason why most of Puna is still affordable, IMHO.

You may have to access the ocean near Hilo if you want easy access. No big white beaches, but there's some sandy spots between rocks in some areas.

If Waikiki can import it's beach, too bad Hilo can't do the same. Although, then Hilo would be covered with big fancy buildings and we wouldn't be able to afford it so maybe we don't need a big white sandy beach there, either.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
"are there any public beaches around Hawaiian Paradise or Hawaiian Beaches?"

There are rocky cliffs, and they are public. But beaches, no. I just edited this to add, there IS a sandy beach with turtles etc accessible from HPP. It is the Shipman Beach, unfortunately it requires quite a hike to get to (there is no vehicle access because the only driveway is private property). You can hike along the cliffs until you get to it. My daughter did it going at a pretty good clip, if I recall correctly I think she said it took about an hour.

"If Waikiki can import it's beach, too bad Hilo can't do the same."

We're not allowed to build telescopes any more, I'm sure desecrating a rocky shore by adding sand is off limits too.

"you are pretty close to one of the most famous beaches in Hawaii - Punalu'u, the black sand beach."

I think if you are calculating time spent in a car, with the recent Saddle Road improvements, Hapuna beach (white sand) on the Kona side might be neck and neck on which one is "closest" from HPP and Hawaiian Beaches. Either one is hours in a car, but for "beach quality" I would say Hapuna is the winner, though smaller, and probably too busy to enjoy on a weekend.

"Heck, there's some halfway decent places to swim and splash around in Hilo which is way closer than Punalu'u."

Yup. One could start at Reed's Bay and work their way south. There are some hidden gems in North Hilo as well, but not so close to HPP etc.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:45 PM

37 posts, read 36,909 times
In a single word, no.

Hope you enjoy sunbathing on black sand.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 PM

23 posts, read 26,492 times
Kehena beach or as stated earlier shipman are the only two beaches in puna.Their are other places to access the ocean, but don't expect a Sandy beach.

Last edited by hi207408; 09-13-2017 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Spell check

Old 09-16-2017, 04:49 PM

37 posts, read 36,909 times
Best bet: plan ahead for a weekday, and once rush hour is well over, say 10 a.m., hit Saddle Road and then head up to the Kohala beaches for the day. Waste of effort on Windward BI to bother jaunting out to one of the beaches, just not worth it, just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island