Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 AM

72 posts, read 346,745 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to this area, It seems to be an affordable area to have a bit of land without as much rain as the Puna area. Does anyone know if it's nice, it seems too good to be true? and how far of a drive is it to Kona? Any pros and cons of the area would be greatly appreciated. Also, points to other areas that are affordable would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrl View Post
We are thinking of moving to this area, It seems to be an affordable area to have a bit of land without as much rain as the Puna area. Does anyone know if it's nice, it seems too good to be true? and how far of a drive is it to Kona? Any pros and cons of the area would be greatly appreciated. Also, points to other areas that are affordable would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
There's a reason that H.O.V.E. is affordable -- most of the folks there have to rely on catchment water and there's not much rainfall.

H.O.V.E. is a little over 50 miles to Kailua-Kona and depending on traffic, it can take hour or so to drive there.

Here's a link to a previous thread about H.O.V.E. than might answer a few more questions.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can't get the link to work so I will look through old pages.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
The commute from Ocean View Estates is probably the major issue with living there. The community is active (volunteerism, pancake breakfasts, community computer & yoga classes, etc...) and attracting interesting, creative people. Here is an excerpt from Travel America Guides: USA and UK travel vacation destination reviews: Southpoint.com that gives a bit of history...

"HOVE consists of 10,697 one acre lots mauka of Hawaii Belt Road. The terrain varies from rugged lava fields to lots containing Ohia trees and other vegetation. Water is by catchment only with power to some, but not all, of the lots. Elevation begins at the 1,500 ft. level, at Hawaii Belt Rd., and rises up to the 5,000 foot level.

Ocean View was once part of Kahuku Ranch. Initial sales began in the late 50's and early 60's. The original developer of HOVE was the Crawford Oil Company. In the early 1980's a service station and a rental building, where the first hardware store began its business, were built.

In 1989 the Ocean View Town Center was developed and the Ocean View Road Maintenance Corporation began an extensive rebuilding program of the roads in HOVE and the surrounding area. Shortly thereafter the Ocean View Development Corporation started a new market which included a laundromat and restaurant. Ocean View now has two shopping centers.

There are over 100 listings in the Ocean View Business Directory with categories ranging from: Automotive, B&B's, Builders, Computer Services, Electronics, Farm & Garden, Grocers, Hair Salons, Land Services, Medical & Health, Professional Services, Publishing, Real Estate Offices, Restaurants, Retail & Wholesale Outlets, Services, Water Service, and Video Rental Establishments.

The area once known as HOVE is now referred to as Ocean View and now encompasses the developments of Hawaiian Ocean View Ranchos, Kahuku Country Gardens, Kula Kai View Estates, Kona Gardens, Keone's Ranchos, and Kona View Estates."

Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrl View Post
Thanks for the reply. I can't get the link to work so I will look through old pages.
Oops, I have to remember not to post anything before I've had my morning coffee. The link below should work...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...w-estates.html

As for the second part of your question about "affordable areas," there's always Puna and the Kaumana section of Hilo (if you don't mind a little rain). In addition, Miloli'i in South Kona might be worth checking out. All of the somewhat affordable areas in Hawai'i have their benefits as well as drawbacks. For Ka'u, the main benefits of living there are its affordability and its people. The main cons of living in Ka'u are its isolation, lack of infrastructure, and relatively poor access to healthcare.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 PM

Thanks so much for all the info!! This forum is great.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Flygirl, what is your definition of "affordable", i.e., price range, house size, etc. Will you be working and commuting to Kona?

We, too, were initially intrigued by HOVE. That is, until we got there. 10,000 lots, most on lava and nothing more. There are some trees, but they are mostly scraggly. Only about a third of the subdivision is served by electricity and telephone, all water is rain catchment. There are some lovely, nicely landscaped homes, and some shacks that look like they were thrown together with whatever fell off the trucks passing on the highway.

We have met lots of nice people who love living there. They have an active community association (no CCR's) and some organized activities.

There are people who commute to Kona for jobs. It is at least an hour during rush hour. Traffic getting across Kona is horrid any time of day. There are some local establishments such as credit union, market, real estate office, etc., but opportunities are limited.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 PM

I live in Phoenix so my idea of affordable varies. Right now home prices are lower but homes usually run about 400K. Traffic is always a nightmare over here so I am used to it. As far as jobs go, I am a flight attendant so I can live anywhere but my DH may have to commute to Kona for work.

Thanks for the info on the terrain of H.O.V.E. It seems really affordable out there with the possibility of owning an acre or two. It would be very different from living in cookie cutter homes piled on top of each other. I guess I will have to wait and see when I go out there in a few weeks. Lots covered in Lava may not be appealing.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:45 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
If you are considering $400,000 Discovery Harbour is a much more attractive subdivision in Ka'u. I also suggest looking at Kona Paradise; it is a lot closer to Kona and would really help with the commute time.

Moderator cut: recommendation of specific realty agent deleted.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-22-2007 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Recommending a specific agent unsolicited is considered advertising. Please use DM. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 PM

60 posts, read 451,755 times
No offense meant in anyway to anyone. But there are reasons why areas are "affordable". Some of the previously mentioned such as lack of water, jobs etc and being on a lava field. I can say this because I was born and raised here, Ocean View and Puna used to be known as the wild west, nobody wanted to live there, in recent years it has gotten much better and I have friends that have moved there and like it. It all depends on what you expect out of Hawaii and your budget. Flygrl, I went to school in Phoenix and lived there for a year, really liked it a lot. IMO if you can afford it Kona or Waimea are the places to be. I also like Kohala for a more remote but beautiful place. They are not cheap places though. I would also check out Hamakua (Honokaa, Laupahoehoe etc) and Hilo before I would Ocean View or Puna. The real estate prices here are dropping drastically, and you can get a "nice" home on the lower range in Kona beginning in the $400k's range, Waikoloa and Waimea a little less. I really recommend Waikoloa to people interested in moving here, why? It's booming, it close to nice beaches and shops, has nice weather (well it gets windy sometimes) and most construction is newer etc. It also is close to North Hawaii Community Hospital, has a Fire Station in the Village, has a good school K thru 8th, and is a relative bargain, real estate wise for this island. Enough to where, I have been considering selling my house in Kona, to buy land and build in Waikoloa. And no, I'm not rich by any means, it is a struggle to live on the West side of the island with two kids, but for my wife and myself it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island