Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 AM

10 posts, read 23,718 times

Advertisements

A well? In what ways will that help? I assume that is not the same as County water. Would that eliminate the need to buy water from the truck, or head into town? Our wells here contain sulphur (which smells like rotten eggs!), I guess HOVE water would still need to be filtered for consumption?

We are actually looking for a house to move right into, not to build. A lot of people have said they found theirs thru word-of-mouth so I will be paying attention!

I certainly don't plan on trying to change anyone, or anything! (And I don't like guns) Living Aloha is what I do. It's easy in Buffalo, it's a big town, an "All America City" where people help each other. But there are no Whales or Sea Turtles in Lake Erie that would need my protection.

An ongoing Mahalo to everyone who is giving me all this very important information! Enjoy the warm sunshine for me, it is 2 snowy degrees here this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
Thumbs up Good Water

[quote=luvmywhalez;17807055]A well? In what ways will that help? I assume that is not the same as County water. Would that eliminate the need to buy water from the truck, or head into town? Our wells here contain sulphur (which smells like rotten eggs!), I guess HOVE water would still need to be filtered for consumption?

The well will be a county well. All public water on BI comes from wells or springs, is filtered and treated, safe to drink.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM

That sounds great, Leilaniguy! Thanks
I am a huge water conservationist, I hate to waste anything.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
While water is available at any elevation on the Big Island, the cost of drilling for it is exorbitant - two to three times the cost of mainland drilling for the same depths!
Drilling through lava rock chews up drill bits, is slow going, and the price of fuel all add up to the high costs here.
Water wells that are very near the coast (1/2 mile or less) can have a brackish (salt water) taste.
Wells drilled farther inland generally have excellent water quality as the lava acts as a great filter as the ground water slowly makes it way down towards sea level.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
The water from the County wells at Waiohinu (a village between HOVE and Naalehu) is some of the best tasting water on the island. I'm not sure what treatments they do, but adding fluoride isn't one of them. Which I think they have found out is a good thing, but I've not been paying strict attention.

Mostly, with HOVE, it isn't the quality of the water which has been the problem, it's the lack of it which has been a problem. That sub was made back when the "developers" just made lines on maps, leveled a few rock/gravel roads and said "Buy a piece of Paradise!" and sold it to folks from the mainland expecting a true "sub-division" with things like lights, roads, utilities, etc. The County allowed them to do it as long as the County wouldn't be responsible for taking care or installing any of the roads and utilities. Which is why the homeowner's associations spend so much time on road committees and road work.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 AM

I understand about the developers coming in and just building houses, advertising the "Paradise" thing... and it looks like it backfired on them a bit! I just read about Kahuku Villages, a proposed development in Ka‘u. I don't understand why there would be more building in an area where there are so many houses for sale!

So do you have to buy water from the trucks? I read that it is about $150 per truck load, but how many gallons is that? Do you have to buy it often? I really like this area, and found an incredible house that costs less than mine here! And the views... AMAZING. Everything has its positives & negatives

Is there any updates on the well being built? Living on the Great Lakes has spoiled me, but I am willing to make due with less if necessary!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 AM

One more question (for today)...
does anyone know where to look for listings of houses for sale, other than real estate web sites? Maybe a "for sale by owner" type of thing? I do a LOT of searching, and keep finding the same thing.

THANK YOU!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmywhalez View Post
One more question (for today)...
does anyone know where to look for listings of houses for sale, other than real estate web sites? Maybe a "for sale by owner" type of thing? I do a LOT of searching, and keep finding the same thing.

THANK YOU!
Why not let an agent familiar with that area help you? Buying real estate in Hawaii, especially the Big Island is quite different than anywhere on the mainland.

There are some fsbo sites but I've never found them to be real accurate however you could try that. Reading the local newspaper online version and craigslist may also show some fsbo's.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:14 AM

Thanks, KonaKat! I am working with a realtor, and have been for over 2 years. I hate to keep bothering her with my milion questions while deciding where to buy, so I do a lot of my own research.

*One more question - what is the average cost of home owners insurance in Lava Zone 2?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
I'm not sure that anyone on this forum lives in HOVE. Balad has property in HOVR but hasn't built a house yet. I live in Discovery Harbour, which is nearby, but we have county water not catchment. I do see a lot of people filling up water containers at the faucet in Waiohinu every time we drive by.

Regarding the homeowner's insurance, our house is in lava zone 3. I suggest that you call State Farm and ask them for costs. I think it's based on the value of the house and improvements, so you should have some price in mind when you call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island