Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 16,090 times

Advertisements

You need a bit more information on the area. Sounds like you may be misinformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 16,090 times
Where do you get your information? Not so at all.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Tom, you didn't include quotes. Could you explain whose information is wrong and do you have different information to offer?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:14 PM

4 posts, read 14,364 times
I am moving from Kodiak Island, Alaska to Hove in 7 days from now. I researched the Big Island. And I am going Green. I will have power via SOLAR, Composting toilet system, solar shower, solar path lights etc. I am so looking forward to getting to my property in Hove I bought last year. I think most people who are to used to ELECTRICITY supplied by the city etc. would not like Hove. But people who believe in alternative energy, would love this. No track homes to speak of, Not to many neighbors. I will post again once I am in Hove, hawaii!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Good luck with the move, Kodiak! I'll be interested in hearing from you after you get settled in and start to experience the community.

We will be moving to our house in Discovery Harbour next summer. Just down the road from you.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 PM

322 posts, read 903,298 times
I only visited the big island for a couple of weeks, but even so in that time, I saw H.O.V.E. and realized that I would not want to live there. I think Kodiak has a point - if you want to live alternatively, it would be a great place to do so. I think a few people move there from Alaska and if you can hack living in Alaska, you'll probably LOVE living in HOVE because the weather will only be so much nicer than Alaska. Since a lot of Alaskans love to build their own house and live off the land, it is only easier when you don't have to consider sub zero temperatures. If you don't have to work in town, it doesn't sound that bad. But on vacation, driving in the middle of the day, not during rush hour, it still took over an hour to drive from Captain Cook to HOVE - and that's not considering if you had to commute all the way to Kailua Kona.

However, HOVE is basically a 5 mile square subdivision in the middle of nowhere. There's like 2 restaurants, a grocery store, a video rental place, a hardware store and that's it. It's not really a suburb - it's a bunch of houses and plots of land in the middle of nowhere. It's not really pretty - it's a bunch of lava rock. Not really bad land to build on, but not really beautiful either. And NOTHING is flat. You will probably need a four wheel drive if you live out there too. If you dig self sufficiency, the place could be for you. You could literally build your house with your own two hands and not have to have any public utilities and even grow your own food. If what you have in mind is a suburb a few miles outside of town, then HOVE does not fit that ideal.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
We live in a village and we live "alternately" on solar electric even though there is a power pole within sixty feet of our house. We are also invested in Hawaiian Electric and they pay us lovely dividends.

HOVE is a surreal sort of area, very moonscape-ish in some spots. My friend built a house there and he would pick out the types of grass he didn't like from between the rocks and leave the kinds he liked there. He thought not having to do any landscaping or lawn mowing was a good thing. To grow trees most folks put in a drip irrigation line. There are some areas which have ohia trees and some other vegetation growing through the lava rocks, but some areas have fresher lava without trees.

Until they get a water well in the area (and it will be quite awhile before that happens) everyone lives on water catchment. The rainfall in HOVE is, what, ten inches a year? It isn't all that much when you rely on rainwater for your household water.

Hove is seventy eight miles from Hilo and a little less to Kona, I think. There are some small shops and stores scattered along the coast, but generally there will be some stuff than will only come from either Hilo or Kona so garans ballbarans you will be going to either one town or the other to get stuff.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 14,364 times
Well thanks for the information. I was actually going to move south of Hilo, Hawaii, before I chose HOVE! I have lived in the city, in the country, all over. I will go the internet cafe once, I have experienced HOVE, for at least a month. I have tried to fly out of Kodiak to no avail! MOUNT REDOUBT is the reason I haven't left! The reason I did'n't move to the Hilo Area, Puna area is because blogs I have read about DRUG USE, people etc. Also CCR's in Puna, meaning to many rules on your own property. My friends here in Kodiak think I am crazy, but none of them lived in Saipan. C.N.M.I, U.S.A. territory! I will write back and tell how it go's! Thanks for your information!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 PM

52 posts, read 203,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToKau View Post
I have tried to fly out of Kodiak to no avail! MOUNT REDOUBT is the reason I haven't left!
Well, If you are stuck there anyhow, I sure hope you get to enjoy the show!

(Although, I would word it is as getting to stay, rather than stuck)

Old 04-02-2009, 11:45 PM

68 posts, read 245,284 times
Aloha! My fav parts of the Big Island are Hilo and the Hamakua coast around Honokaa. It rains quite a bit there but I enjoy growing things so thats ok. How have the prices been in that area recently? Mahalo. A hui hou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island