Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:26 AM

11 posts, read 71,577 times

Advertisements

My husband, three kids and I are interested in moving to Bend because we are in need of some real weather besides summer and something more to do then go to the mall. Also we are looking for people a little less plastic and materialistic and conservative.

We are from a smaller town in Southern California which is extremely conservative, evangelical and judgmental (especially since the election). In other words if you tell someone you are not a christian you will loose business and/or friends . I am worried about raising my children in such a hateful and judgmental community. It is just dangerous.

I am looking for a place to raise my children that is a little more free thinking or at least a place where they can make a clear decision on their religious or spiritual path. I am happy to live amongst christians, but not the ones that refuse to look at me or let our kids play together because we don't share the same faith.

Is Bend OR, the place for us? Or is it another small town, with the same issues?

Last edited by itsjustmehere; 11-21-2008 at 01:00 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,729,028 times
Why not post this on the Oregon forum????

Old 11-21-2008, 04:34 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
Last time I checked, Oregon wasn't part of the State of California. But, maybe it should be.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,857,658 times
I moved this over here from the CA forum.
Oregon racks up there as one of the least religious states. If you don't want plastic people I would say there are better cities to live than Bend. There are lots of well off retirees from other states living in Bend.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Oregon in generally is pretty accomodating with different spiritual beliefs. We rank fairly low for church attendance in Oregon. I have friends that are non-religious and they are just fine there.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Oregon in generally is pretty accomodating with different spiritual beliefs. We rank fairly low for church attendance in Oregon. I have friends that are non-religious and they are just fine there.
Bend, isn't that the town where the man, but actually a woman physically having their 2nd kid....

Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
I just moved to Bend from a town in CO that sounds very similar to where you are currently at. I have found Bend to be a welcome change. I am not religious myself, and I have never felt that to be an issue here. Sure, I've had people knock at my door trying to "sell me" their religion, but I politely tell them I'm not interested, they leave, and that's it.

Yes, Bend does have it's fair share of wealthy people that have moved in from out of state. However, it's easy to escape that (with the exception of real estate) by not frequenting the places the well-to-do like to hang out. Bend seems to be a down to earth kind of town, with genuine people, and a good environment for kids. If you love the outdoors then Bend is your place.

In general I have found all of Oregon to be very tolerant of everyone. I think you would do well most anywhere in the state. Take a trip here and check it out for yourself.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:43 PM

54 posts, read 294,031 times
Default Religious intolerance is where you find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmehere View Post
My husband, three kids and I are interested in moving to Bend because we are in need of some real weather besides summer and something more to do then go to the mall. Also we are looking for people a little less plastic and materialistic and conservative.

We are from a smaller town in Southern California which is extremely conservative, evangelical and judgmental (especially since the election). In other words if you tell someone you are not a christian you will loose business and/or friends . I am worried about raising my children in such a hateful and judgmental community. It is just dangerous.

I am looking for a place to raise my children that is a little more free thinking or at least a place where they can make a clear decision on their religious or spiritual path. I am happy to live amongst christians, but not the ones that refuse to look at me or let our kids play together because we don't share the same faith.

Is Bend OR, the place for us? Or is it another small town, with the same issues?
I am sorry to learn that you found religious intolerance where you have been living, especially since it was in a town in Southern California. But it does tend to prove that religious intolerance can be found anywhere. Unfortunately, every institution (religion included) has some members who do not represent the highest principles of the organization.
I lived over fifty years in Southern California and didn't find it any more intolerant than most other places. (try Utah, for example) In fact, Southern Californians tend to tolerate all sorts of things.
Now, my wife and I divide our time between Northern California and Southern/Central Oregon. As far as Bend is concerned, I think you'll find that the "new Bend" which has developed during the past 15 years is quite cosmoplolitan for a town its size. I don't think you'll find any appreciable amount of religious intolerance in Bend unless you are forced to be around such persons because of your work or some other social situation such as that.
There are many good reasons to move to Bend or the neighboring towns in Central Oregon. If you like the area, go for it! Any religious issues that might arise can be effectively dealt with, if you are willing.
minorbrew

Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I moved this over here from the CA forum.
Oregon racks up there as one of the least religious states. If you don't want plastic people I would say there are better cities to live than Bend. There are lots of well off retirees from other states living in Bend.
Thanks for moving this for me. I was trying to figure out how to do this a little too late last night.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I just moved to Bend from a town in CO that sounds very similar to where you are currently at. I have found Bend to be a welcome change. I am not religious myself, and I have never felt that to be an issue here. Sure, I've had people knock at my door trying to "sell me" their religion, but I politely tell them I'm not interested, they leave, and that's it.

Yes, Bend does have it's fair share of wealthy people that have moved in from out of state. However, it's easy to escape that (with the exception of real estate) by not frequenting the places the well-to-do like to hang out. Bend seems to be a down to earth kind of town, with genuine people, and a good environment for kids. If you love the outdoors then Bend is your place.

In general I have found all of Oregon to be very tolerant of everyone. I think you would do well most anywhere in the state. Take a trip here and check it out for yourself.
Thanks, I plan to do that soon. I appreciate the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend